Matt Hughes: ‘It’s going to get rough for Thiago’ Alves at UFC 85 fight (Video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes: ‘It’s going to get rough for Thiago’ Alves at UFC 85 fight (Video)
SmileR
5/27/08 5:35:49PM
Mr Hughes's interviewLink
teddythetuna
5/27/08 6:14:01PM
i think hes got his hands full with Alves.
jakeiceman
5/27/08 6:21:11PM
I dont care for Hughes but I have a feeling he is going to smash Alves.
wrona666
5/27/08 6:38:30PM
I got a feeling that hughes is in for a long night.....
Porch28
5/27/08 8:47:25PM
Hughes is in for a beating along the lines of GSP. He better eat 2 country breakfast and then some nandrolone. WAR ALVES!!!!!!!!
jae_1833
5/27/08 9:04:15PM
I'll say it again...if he tries to stand up and bang with Thiago (like he has with others lately) then he will go nighty-night. Matt has a great chance if he can get it to the ground (where he belongs) though!
bojangalz
5/27/08 9:08:57PM
Guess who I'm cheering for?

Alves is a great up-and-comer, and puts on a great show. While I'll be cheering for Alves. But I'll probably be picking Hughes to win. Alves has been taken down by lesser wrestlers than Hughes. And just like to video says, I think Hughes has a good chance of holding Alves down once he gets him there.

I also think that Alves greatest strength- those vicious leg kicks- could very likely work against him taking on a guy like Hughes. It only takes one trapped leg, and a take down to win the round when a guy like Hughes is on top.

Alves strikes are not quite on par with a GSP, so catching Hughes with that one great shot is probably not going to happen. I think Alves best chance of victory is to make Hughes look old, and chop him down throughout to fight. Thats going to be easier said then done.

My advice to you Thiago- sneak in a couple of those leg kicks early and hope they don't get trapped. Then kick his head off his shoulders early in the second.

Do I think that's going to happen. Probably not. I just hope the UFC doesn't bury Thiago after this fight if he loses. He's got rising star written all over him.
Shawn17
5/27/08 11:35:49PM
matt hughes loses to GSP and all of a sudden everybody seems to think hes washed up. Hughes is gonna punish alves and take him down at will.
holt8081
5/28/08 12:53:22AM
Hughes will have side control the whole fight.
jiujitsufreak74
5/28/08 1:00:04AM
Alves has been training for Hughes for some time so i am sure he can develop a sprawl. i think the leg kicks will be an advantage as he throws them viciously fast and if he connects enough of them Hughes' shot will be slower than normal...which is pretty slow already. Hughes' shot is not fast so i don't think he will be catching Thiago's leg too often. he usually muscle's people down to get the takedown, and i just think Thiago can pick him apart on the feet, avoid the takedown and score another 2nd round KO/
jakeiceman
5/28/08 1:26:30AM
Hughes is going to own Alves, I know MMAth doesnt work but didnt Fitch work over Alves??? I could be wrong but thats what I remember and in my opinion Hughes is a better wrestler than Fitch (and Fitch is an animal) I just dont see Alves doing anything to win this one.
89vision
5/28/08 6:23:00AM
I have almost zero doubt Thiago is going to knock him out in brutal fashion, it'll be pele all over again
bustin_mma
5/28/08 2:13:24PM
this is gonna be a hard fight to pick, but i think im gonna take hughes by UD
whardin19
5/28/08 2:19:27PM
Not a very tought fight for me to pick. I can't believe you guys think Hughes is washed up after the fight with GSP. Hughes is coming out here to prove he's not washed up. I think Thiago is in trouble. If Hughes sticks to his gameplan to take Thiago down he's going to win this fight. WAR Matt Hughes!!!!
kaskd
5/28/08 7:48:17PM
Im surprised how many people have Alves winning this thing. Not only winning many people are picturing him dominating Hughes. w/e the case i hope all those people picking Alves bet huge so that when I win my parlay with Hughes in it, the victory will be that much sweeter.
89vision
5/29/08 12:08:53AM

Posted by kaskd

Im surprised how many people have Alves winning this thing. Not only winning many people are picturing him dominating Hughes. w/e the case i hope all those people picking Alves bet huge so that when I win my parlay with Hughes in it, the victory will be that much sweeter.

looks like hughes is ahead on teh stats and data at 3/1 favorite, and most ppl in this thread are thinking hughes will take it, but if your suprised that thiago has a good chance in this and you think he has no chance your kidding yourself