Matt Hughes: Matt Serra fight possible in ’six to eight months’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes: Matt Serra fight possible in ’six to eight months’
Mchubb316
4/21/08 4:26:25PM
GSP had a good game plan to take Matt Serra down and wear him out. I found myself rooting for Serra at the end of the second round, I wanted him to make it to the third round. I thought if it would get to the third round GSP would decide to stand up with him and possibly knock him out. I just wanted Matt to get beat on for five rounds, not just two; but I knew the ref was about ready to stop it. The UFC said that if Serra loses I get him, but I don’t know when that will be. I’m going to guess six to eight months, so I’ve found myself watching my diet and exercising more.”
Source
Kpro
4/21/08 4:38:40PM
Sounds about perfect timing for an end of the year card.
hodge
4/21/08 5:04:08PM
Great news. Will Hughes be inducted and retire on that night?
Mchubb316
4/21/08 6:23:10PM
I hope they Don't do a HOF induction for Hughes on the night of a fight, and possibly announcement of his retirement.
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 6:52:43PM
i was hoping in sept, what bull i need to take some time off!!!!! when i just took a year off fighting.. serra should be trying to fight asap. but i do see this being saved to the end of the year, i think hughes should at least fight karo or someone before then
EON
4/21/08 6:56:17PM
that would be awesome if he fights on the day hes inducted, ive love to see Serra knock him out on his special day

p.s. Hughes is horribly disappointed that Serra lost, he wanted an undeserving shot at the title once again, but wont get it now, he'll avoid top 10s, fight Serra and be on peoples top 10's for no reason
xphycorx
4/21/08 7:27:00PM
this will be a good co-main event down the road. serra isn't worthy of another main event.
rabbit915
4/21/08 7:34:07PM
This is a fight i want to see because i want to see how good Serra really is. I know hes had big fights earlier in his career but i want to see how good he truly is during this little comeback that he had. If he beats Hughes than ill know that he really did deserve a shot at GSP.

I dont think either of these guys really deserves another shot at GSP and i dont either of them will get one either because there is too much young talent in the division.
jakeiceman
4/21/08 8:14:42PM

Posted by rabbit915

This is a fight i want to see because i want to see how good Serra really is. I know hes had big fights earlier in his career but i want to see how good he truly is during this little comeback that he had. If he beats Hughes than ill know that he really did deserve a shot at GSP.

I dont think either of these guys really deserves another shot at GSP and i dont either of them will get one either because there is too much young talent in the division.

Sure Serra deserves it man. He has beaten GSP and GSP has beaten him. And you cant debate that GSP dominated him this time (which he did) because Serra dominated him last time. I think Hughes is a better matchup for Serra than GSP. Hughes' striking sucks but is a great wrestler. Serra's standup is much better and has awesome Jui Jitsu. If this fight happens I wont hesitate to pick Serra. And if he wins then he definately deserves the rubber match with GSP.
jae_1833
4/21/08 10:44:49PM
I think this fight was in the making regardless of who won, the UFC would have just kept on putting Fitch off, maybe matching him up with Thiago Alves. This is a good time for Hughes v Serra, they are both on the ropes here....either $hit or get off the pot I say. One of them will retire soon, for sure!!
quezocrema0032
4/22/08 12:19:31AM

Posted by EON

that would be awesome if he fights on the day hes inducted, ive love to see Serra knock him out on his special day

p.s. Hughes is horribly disappointed that Serra lost, he wanted an undeserving shot at the title once again, but wont get it now, he'll avoid top 10s, fight Serra and be on peoples top 10's for no reason

are u really saying hes not a top 10 guy ? .... im not a hughes fan i hate 1 dimensional fighters but thats kinda extrme
EON
4/22/08 1:31:48AM

Posted by quezocrema0032

are u really saying hes not a top 10 guy ? .... im not a hughes fan i hate 1 dimensional fighters but thats kinda extrme

i dont think he'd beat anybody in the top 10, he isnt fighting any top guys besides losing to GSP and beating an injured BJ Penn, why isnt he fighting Karo or Kos or Fitch or Davis etc. he's always gotten an easy ride from getting a title shot after losing to Dennis Hallman (a 2nd time) to getting the nod against Charuto to getting a shot after only fighting Lytle. I just dont think hes that great and if the competition that was around today was around back then he wouldnt be considered so great. just my 2 cents
stock
4/22/08 9:12:23AM

Posted by EON

Posted by quezocrema0032

i dont think he'd beat anybody in the top 10, he isnt fighting any top guys besides losing to GSP and beating an injured BJ Penn, why isnt he fighting Karo or Kos or Fitch or Davis etc. he's always gotten an easy ride from getting a title shot after losing to Dennis Hallman (a 2nd time) to getting the nod against Charuto to getting a shot after only fighting Lytle. I just dont think hes that great and if the competition that was around today was around back then he wouldnt be considered so great. just my 2 cents

You can't blame a guy for fighting an injured Penn. That wasn't the plan.

Anyway, 6-8 months is bullshit. If Serra needs that much time off, the UFC needs to make Hughes fight a guy like Alves, Sanchez, Kos, or Davis BEFORE he fights Serra. Win or lose, they could still make the Hughes/Serra fight happen afterward.
I am sick of having to wait so long to see top fighters compete.
holt8081
5/22/08 4:08:31PM
ya I would love to see serra get beat ta crap again.
dannyfrank
5/26/08 7:03:07PM

Sure Serra deserves it man. He has beaten GSP and GSP has beaten him. And you cant debate that GSP dominated him this time (which he did) because Serra dominated him last time. I think Hughes is a better matchup for Serra than GSP. Hughes' striking sucks but is a great wrestler. Serra's standup is much better and has awesome Jui Jitsu. If this fight happens I wont hesitate to pick Serra. And if he wins then he definately deserves the rubber match with GSP.

MMAcca
5/27/08 12:08:47AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by rabbit915

too
Bloodhound
5/27/08 2:04:14PM
i would like to see that fight finally happn, i think Matt Serra would win though