Matt Hughes would ‘love to rematch’ Thiago Alves and GSP

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes would ‘love to rematch’ Thiago Alves and GSP
MMAcca
5/2/09 1:10:11PM
If I beat Serra — and I obviously think I will — and Thiago wins I’d love to get a rematch with Thiago. I think that fight could have gone differently if my knee hadn’t gone out, so I’d love to rematch Thiago. To be honest, I didn’t like the way the last GSP fight went either, so I’d love to rematch GSP. But all I’m worrying about right now is Matt Serra. So where ever winning that fight puts me is fine, but I’ve just got Matt Serra on my mind right now.

LINK
LakieMan
5/2/09 1:39:50PM
Hughes shouldn't do this, he should win against Serra and retire.JMO
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/09 2:08:48PM
Hahah hughes, can't be serious....

Hughes is saying if he beats Serra he should get a title shot? I think not, he's not even close to a title shot. And beating Serra doesnt earn you a title shot.

Plus GSP and Alves would wreck hughes worse than before. Also GSP beat hughes twice out of 3 tries. No point in a 4th match
RhythmAndStyle
5/2/09 2:24:58PM
this guy needs to get a hold of himself..Alves would do much worst damage the second time around..and god knows GSP would retire him..Hughes needs to let his ego go..he's not that strong as before..and trust me..he's not goin to beat Serra..as we are seein the younger,stronger,faster and more skilled fighters are beatin the crap outta these old one sided fighters..sorry Hughes no one gonna take you serious anymore..you're out-dated...
Aaronno9
5/2/09 3:47:15PM
Credit where its due, Matts got balls even considering taking on Alves or GSP again. Both are fights that, realisticly, he cant with though. I hope he shuts Serras big mouth then mabeys gets one more W and retires. But I dont think anybody on this board, or any other, has any right telling Matt when he should retire. He knows his body and his skills, he'll know when its ready to hang em up.
Red-Dragon
5/2/09 3:52:14PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Credit where its due, Matts got balls even considering taking on Alves or GSP again. Both are fights that, realisticly, he cant with though. I hope he shuts Serras big mouth then mabeys gets one more W and retires. But I dont think anybody on this board, or any other, has any right telling Matt when he should retire. He knows his body and his skills, he'll know when its ready to hang em up.

Yeah just like Chuck did
ThePlague
5/2/09 4:09:16PM
I'm not sure who will win between the Matts yet, and I'm sure that Hughes still has some fight left in him at this point, but he could just simulate a remach with Alves or GSP by throwing himself into one of his wheat threshers. No need to go through the hassle of a whole training camp and weight cutting.
Jackelope
5/2/09 4:13:17PM
TUF has absolutely ruined Matt's image. It's sad to see such a dominant legend get torn apart on the boards on a daily basis. He might not be the best anymore, but there was a time that Matt Hughes was destroying top competition left and right. It's too bad people can't see past their dislike of him as a person to give a legend his due.

If you were Hughes what would you say when asked whether or not you'd like to fight these guys again? "No, I'm scared. They beat me. I don't want to risk that happening again!" Come on, now. These guys fight for a living. They're proud people.

These quick quotes drive me nuts because they are taken out of context. I think if you read the entire original interview you would see that Hughes was actually being very respectful. Your dislike for him aside, you've got to admit that these quick quotes are taken out of context 9/10 times. Mind you, I don't really like a lot of what Matt Hughes stands for. I'm strongly against a lot of it, actually. I'm just saying- try to put yourselves in this guy's shoes, and on top of that try to dig and find the actual context of these quotes.
Wolfenstein
5/2/09 4:25:57PM
At one time, I really disliked Hughes and it certainly grew a bit during TUF. Maybe it's just my tendency to go against the grain--you know everyone starts hating someone, and for some reason that just makes me start liking a guy. I guess I just like villains. I'm still not a big fan of Hughes, but I respect that he's genuine. What you see is what you get, and he doesn't pull any punches when he's asked for his opinion.

I think he's still a top 5 WW, so he's still very much relevant in the division. He would be a big underdog against Alves and GSP--but he has a decent shot at beating Alves. I would like to see him matched up with maybe Josh Koscheck or Jon Fitch. I think those would be competetive matchups.

It's kind of surprising he's talking about future fights, because he has seemed a little disinterested in MMA recently. This just seemed like a good finale to his career--but if he wants to continue fighting, I would definetely look forward to seeing him as a part of main cards.
bsh162007
5/2/09 4:51:52PM
right now he just needs to focus on beating serra i mean serra is def gonna come ready i dont doubt that at all this is true grudge match
ThePlague
5/2/09 5:01:47PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

At one time, I really disliked Hughes and it certainly grew a bit during TUF. Maybe it's just my tendency to go against the grain--you know everyone starts hating someone, and for some reason that just makes me start liking a guy. I guess I just like villains. I'm still not a big fan of Hughes, but I respect that he's genuine. What you see is what you get, and he doesn't pull any punches when he's asked for his opinion.

I think he's still a top 5 WW, so he's still very much relevant in the division. He would be a big underdog against Alves and GSP--but he has a decent shot at beating Alves. I would like to see him matched up with maybe Josh Koscheck or Jon Fitch. I think those would be competetive matchups.

It's kind of surprising he's talking about future fights, because he has seemed a little disinterested in MMA recently. This just seemed like a good finale to his career--but if he wants to continue fighting, I would definetely look forward to seeing him as a part of main cards.

Though I'm really not a fan of his personality, and despite my comment I'm actually a fan of his as a fighter. I would definitely be excited to see him fight Kos or Fitch. I don't think his chances are good against well cross-trained guys like GSP, but I always like watching the dude fight (except against Lytle).
tomp6581
5/2/09 5:14:40PM
Matt Huges should be allowed to retire when he wants.

His fight against alves was on very short notice, so a rematch would be fair in my opinion.
MMAcca
5/3/09 12:48:54AM

Posted by tomp6581

Matt Huges should be allowed to retire when he wants.

His fight against alves was on very short notice, so a rematch would be fair in my opinion.

If Alves loses to GSP, then i agree a rematch should happen.

Matt is likely to get dominated again though.
WheelchairBandit
5/3/09 2:24:59AM
The retirement talks are crazy.The only guys Matt has lost to in the last 8 years are GSP,Penn and Alves,and he already owns wins over two of those guys.

Josh Koscheck just lost to GSP,Alves and Paulo Thiago within the last year and a half.According to your guy's logic,he should be up for retirement before Hughes.

WB.
telnights
5/3/09 4:45:02AM
Well before Matt wants to fight Alves lets see if Alves can even make weight for his fight with GSP. He has missed weight almost as much as Gina has and has gotten caught using diuretics to make weight. He also came in 4 pounds over for the Hughes fight and said it was because he couldn't train for the weight cut because of a injury . But yet he showed no signs of any injury in the fight at all. The only person that showed an injury was Matt and his knee. You could tell it was bothering him a lot and affect him heavily in the fight. This also helped Alves in the fight because he wasn't affected by the weight cut that it does to other fighters.

Matt was a dominant champ for a long time and I would never count the guy out of a rematch. The only person at WW I don't think Matt has much of a chance beating is GSP. This is due to the fact GSP's wrestling is just on another level than anyone in the UFC.

Love or hate the guy he was one of the greatest fighters ever at WW and I feel still has some fights left in him. Unlike Ken, Frank, Wandy, and Chuck who show major signs that its time to hang it up.
NatedawgThaM
5/3/09 1:22:40PM
Appearently he "loves" getting destroyed, dominated, and pretty much raped. Their just horrible match ups for him. GSP is better in every area then Matt Hughes I believe, Hughes wrestling isn't as great as it use to be IMO and since I believe that I don't think his wrestling would be good enough to keep Alves down which would lead to another brutal KO.

He's too one dimensional. Unless he destroys, dominates, and rapes Serra like GSP did to Hughes in their 3rd fight, I think he should retire. I mean actually finish Serra in the 1st or early in the 2nd. But more then likely it will be a lackluster fight with a lot of missed strikes on the feet and a lot of laying in Serra's guard on the ground. Definitely not looking forward to this fight
EvenFlow
5/3/09 1:42:49PM
Hughes is just too arrogant for his own good, he wants a rematch with GSP? really? he destroyed you 2 1/2 times. And Thiago? I guess he longs for competition/punishment. If he gets a title shot off Serra I'd be pretty dissapointed in the UFC, have him fight Koscheck or Fitch if he beats Serra to prove he can even hang with the top 5, or just retire on a win like you probably should.
slapshot
5/4/09 2:24:59AM
Hughes should beat Serra hands down IMO and I think he can still be a threat to anyone in the division. I would like to see him fight Alves again but Im not interested in a GSP rematch unless he beats a top 5 fighter and Serra is not one so..

My bet is that if he wins he gets KOS.
Drudinh
5/4/09 5:21:41AM
War Hughes