Matt Hughes Not Impressed with GSP’s Performance

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes Not Impressed with GSP’s Performance
SmileR
8/12/08 10:14:23AM
You may have noticed Matt Hughes sitting Octagon-side at UFC 87. At least, that’s where he was for most of the night. Turns out he didn’t make it all the way through the evening, and you can probably guess why. From Matt Hughes’ blog:

I went there really to watch one fight, probably not the one you’re expecting. I went there to watch Brock Lesnar. He is so interesting because he is so athletic as well as being so powerful. So that fight went just like I thought it would, Brock took him down whenever he wanted and on the ground he did whatever he wanted. I was also there watching my buddy, Roger, but he didn’t quite look the same. I don’t think him or Kenny fought their best fight on Saturday. Roger looked to have done a few things different and I would say that he needs to go back to what he was doing before.

The last fight of the night was Georges and Fitch. Georges didn’t look as big as he has before and he seemed like he had gotten tired from the first round. Fitch had the game plan of countering Georges and you just can’t do that. You can’t counter a quicker fighter. To be honest, halfway in the third round I got up and walked out of the arena and went to my hotel. The fight wasn’t the most exciting and I wanted to get out of there before everyone else was getting up to leave.

Link
emfleek
8/12/08 10:18:32AM
SUUUUUUUUUUURPRISE
DiabloFreak56
8/12/08 10:41:24AM
i really dont see how he can say anything bad about gsp you know. got his A$$ kicked 2 times by gsp and still talks stuff. really does he want a third beating?
ufcboss
8/12/08 10:43:53AM
What a dick!
juanez13
8/12/08 10:47:30AM
He's just butthurt that Fitch went longer than he did.
GlancyMMA
8/12/08 10:57:10AM
Hughes once again shows a total lack of respect by even opening his mouth.

Why would he even comment about this on his blog.

He once held that title and with it demanded the respect that he now refuses to give.

What a douche, I would like to see Hughes vs. Fitch and see if he can even go 3 rounds with that guy let alone win a 5 round decision and knock him all over the ring.

Once again Hughes is a huge disappointment as a person. No respect.
wiggum
8/12/08 11:02:40AM
were is matt hughes now? oh yeah hangin on to a legacy that was created by fighting subpar fighters ..gracie, riggs, verrisimo, gastillo and newton?....yeah he beat penn after penn whupped his ass for two rds and then gassed, yeah he gave gsp his first loss but we've seen what has happend since, trigg is the only wins against top level competition that doesnt come with an ansetrisk....he's just another tito ortiz, made an name for himself during a time were he could.....his opionon his about as worthless as used toilet paper.....to tell ya'll the truth, i usually walk out on his fights cuz theyre so boring..ohhh a wrestler takes down someone and lays on him and gets the win...whuppity do!
NewGuy
8/12/08 11:10:39AM
I used to like Matt Hughes. His transparent poor reviews of Rush have changed my mind for me. It is obvious that he is just a sore loser and his only way of retaliation is to bash Rush every chance he gets.

I wish he would stop, the last thing everyone is going to remember is that he is a sore loser and that will overshadow a great career. His domination of the division was fun to see and really is what got me interested in the sport.
Khaos
8/12/08 11:15:05AM
well I just think this is hilarious, he just leaves, hell I would have to.
grappler0000
8/12/08 11:17:20AM

Posted by wiggum

were is matt hughes now? oh yeah hangin on to a legacy that was created by fighting subpar fighters ..gracie, riggs, verrisimo, gastillo and newton?....yeah he beat penn after penn whupped his ass for two rds and then gassed, yeah he gave gsp his first loss but we've seen what has happend since, trigg is the only wins against top level competition that doesnt come with an ansetrisk....he's just another tito ortiz, made an name for himself during a time were he could.....his opionon his about as worthless as used toilet paper.....to tell ya'll the truth, i usually walk out on his fights cuz theyre so boring..ohhh a wrestler takes down someone and lays on him and gets the win...whuppity do!

Well, I hadn't planned on sticking up for Hughes in this thread to be completely honest, considering his comments...but I think some of your remarks are about as undeserving as what is in Hughes' blog.

Every one of Hughes' fights may not have been exciting, but the vast majority didn't go the distance. He had some great GnP and submissions under his belt and used it against the best in the business. Yeah, you can take away the Penn win if you'd like, but it's still a win. He has wins over GSP, Penn, Sherk, Newton (in his prime), and Sakurai (in his prime)...and all of them were finished with the exception of Sherk. There are several other good fighters he's beat as well, but that list should speak for itself.
bojangalz
8/12/08 12:00:36PM
EDITED:

I've taken my share of warnings... If anyone asks- I was never here, and you've never heard of me
Mayhem13
8/12/08 12:03:14PM

atleast he beat the Rush (no pun intended..sort of)
Gipper
8/12/08 12:11:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by wiggum

Well, I hadn't planned on sticking up for Hughes in this thread to be completely honest, considering his comments...but I think some of your remarks are about as undeserving as what is in Hughes' blog.

Every one of Hughes' fights may not have been exciting, but the vast majority didn't go the distance. He had some great GnP and submissions under his belt and used it against the best in the business. Yeah, you can take away the Penn win if you'd like, but it's still a win. He has wins over GSP, Penn, Sherk, Newton (in his prime), and Sakurai (in his prime)...and all of them were finished with the exception of Sherk. There are several other good fighters he's beat as well, but that list should speak for itself.

wasn't planning on sticking up for hughes either but if you watched matt hughes back in the day in his prime you wouldn't have said some of that dumb shit. hughes has always fought the best in his division. thats why i have to still respect the guy.
originalconspiracy
8/12/08 12:16:08PM
i dislike the guy more and more as he opens his mouth. whats the point in this?
Rush
8/12/08 12:24:49PM
Some posts in this thread are dangerously close to crossing the line of fighter bashing. Just watch what you say and how you say it. I would suggest that some of you read over your posts and edit them accordingly before warnings are dished out.

thanks
Jason-plata
8/12/08 12:58:06PM
Well... I think he did better against Fitch than he did against Hughes...
If hughes would have been on the recieving end of what Fitch got it would have been over in the 1st rd. again. I think Fitch would handle Matts a$$.....
crushedbacon
8/12/08 2:04:05PM
Just Hughes bitterness as he watches his career wind down. Leaves during Fight of the Night? Yeah cuz watching brock hump hearing like a bear for 15 minutes was much more exciting. Hughes realized now how far he is from being a contender. GSP beat him like he was a child and watching Fitch battle GSP like he did makes Hughes sick I bet. I just hope Serra smashes him like Alves did and then he can head back to the farm for good. Matt Hughes is not a top 5 welterweight anymore. The games evolved, go wrestle a bail! Peace.
nastshabast
8/12/08 2:10:55PM
Too many warnings for me to give my genuine opinion so i'll give ya this.

Fighter bash fighter bash hate hate loser fighter bash.
jay98107
8/12/08 2:14:32PM
Has he watched his last four fights? I wonder how impressed he is with those...
nastshabast
8/12/08 2:27:17PM

Posted by Rush

Some posts in this thread are dangerously close to crossing the line of fighter bashing. Just watch what you say and how you say it. I would suggest that some of you read over your posts and edit them accordingly before warnings are dished out.

thanks

Like he doesn't have these one's coming.
MikeyG
8/12/08 2:28:57PM
Fitch would absolutly tool Matt, just look at how Matt has done against GSP and look at how much better Fitch did. Maybe Matt should beat a top 10 before talking anymore smack about "not being impressed" trying to steal GSP line.
jocka
8/12/08 2:32:12PM
I think matt hugues is hilarious, he is just trying to piss off people by saying that and as far as i can see its working so... but at this point in his carrer he should just stop talking crap about other fighters since he is not able to back up anything he says with fighting skills anymore
Wolfenstein
8/12/08 2:58:58PM
He just doesn't care about MMA anymore. I don't understand how you can be in this sport and not be a huge fan. The more disinterested he gets, the better Matt Serra's odds look.

I will agree with one point though. GSP vs Fitch wasn't the most exciting fight. I was shocked that it was fight of the night. I felt like Huerta vs Kenny was more exciting and certainly more competetive.

I was impressed with GSP though. He continues to batter other fighters who have top notch wrestling bases. I would like to see him fight someone who matches up a little better though. A guy with some good striking and world class jiu-jitsu would be awesome. Unfortunately while there are some great strikers, there really isn't anyone with top-notch jiu jitsu. A lot of guys with good jiu jitsu like Diego Sanchez (but he hasn't submitted anyone in 4 years). Just no one on the level of Demian Maia (as far as jiu jitsu) but not many are.

Submissions in general seem to be on the decline, especially guys that submit people regularly from their back.
JWils
8/12/08 3:52:34PM
I'm a big Hughes fan and he is entitled to his opinion but man, if he's not impressed with GSP then I'm not sure who can impress him? I think Matt needs to stay away from the blogs.

The Fitch/GSP fight is one of my favorites just due to how much heart Fitch displayed. I still can not believe he got up after that GSP hook in the 3rd round that sent his snot into the next state.....
lordicast
8/12/08 5:11:35PM
Hughes is still the greatest WW of all time reguardless of what he says its his actions in the ring that determines this. I dont like hughes but RESPECT
crushedbacon
8/12/08 6:23:31PM
GSP is the greatest welterweight of all time. Any other answer just doesn't logistically make any sense.
GSP dominated Hughes twice. DOMINATED.....you can't be the greatest welterweight of all time and have another dude from your generation kill you like that twice, come on.
You can argue Hughes has a record of blah blah blah. It doesn't matter Hughes beat a lot of guys, some tough competition 4 sure.
He also padded his record fighting guys that were no where near his level for many years. Jon Fitch is better right now than Matt Hughes has ever been at any point in his life. Also.......

RESPECT is a two way street. It's not automatic.
nastshabast
8/12/08 6:24:32PM

Posted by lordicast

Hughes is still the greatest WW of all time reguardless of what he says its his actions in the ring that determines this. I dont like hughes but RESPECT

lol not for long