Matt Hughes vs. Anderson Silva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Matt Hughes vs. Anderson Silva?
AmericanFighterAce
7/12/07 9:02:49PM
“If Rich [Franklin] looses then I would move up and fight Anderson [Silva]. I would never fight Rich.”

That is what Matt Hughes echoed on his blog on his site.

Could you actually see this happening? Lets say that my golden boy Rich Franklin loses to Anderson and Matt Hughes defeats Matt Serra for the championship, could we see a Champion vs. Champion Match? Anderson Silva vs. Matt Hughes?

Thoughts?

-Thank you to UFCMANIA.com for this.
Rush
7/12/07 9:07:32PM
Anderson would destroy Hughes IMO.
cmill21
7/12/07 9:11:05PM
Yeah, he was badly outstruck by GSP. Andersons on another level of striking then GSP. It'd be bad lol.
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/07 9:11:09PM
no we wouldnt see a champion vs champion match. if hughes wins the title hes not going to move up to mw.
DevonFoxy
7/12/07 9:11:14PM
I dont know it sounds to me that the question was.
"Would you ever move up to Middleweight?"
His answer was that if Rich was champ he'd never move up because he would never want to face his friend and teammate. He would however move up if Rich wasn't the champ. Its not like he wants to move up sounds like he just answering a question more then stating he wants to fight Silva.IMO
Sounds like it may be a little misconstrued.
Ultimate_fighter
7/12/07 9:15:46PM
yea, this fight is not fair, hughes would wake up in the hospital!!
mrsmiley
7/12/07 9:16:47PM
I would say Anderson Silva would deystory Hughes. Doubt we will see a that fight though.
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/07 9:18:16PM
Matt Hughes has talked in the past about moving up to middleweight possibly. maybe later in his career
cmill21
7/12/07 9:28:22PM
It would be nice, at least anderson will have someone to fight lol. The UFC needs to get some poeople from PRIDE, they've been focused on the HW guys, with the odd LHW.
Rush
7/12/07 9:41:49PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Matt Hughes has talked in the past about moving up to middleweight possibly. maybe later in his career

Hughes is already 'later in his career'.

The guy probably only has two years left before father time starts paying him a visity. Not everybody is Randy. In addition, Hughes really hasn't convinced me the he has the fire to keep fighting. I almost get the hunch that he will retire if he beats Serra.
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/07 9:44:36PM
im not sure, anything can happen. But i do know. Matt hughes would have to take some hard shots from anderson if he wanted to get that take down to finish the fight.
Rush
7/12/07 9:46:21PM
Yeah, I could see Silva throwing some nasty kicks or kness when Hughes tries to shoot, ala Carlos Newton.
DJDark41
7/12/07 9:52:28PM
Looks like Hughes is gonna move up. I wonder what body part Silva is gonna break on Franklin this time? Arm, knee, shoulder, ribs...so many options, such little time. Hughes vs Silva would be a great fight, and I don't think that Silva could stop a Matt Hughes takedown, but I don't know if Hughes would be able to keep Silva down once he got him there. Close fight, but I think Anderson Silva by KO on the feet.
warglory
7/12/07 10:27:25PM
I am with the majority thus far with this, I think Anderson would be a tough fight for Hughes. Yes, Hughes would be able to take Anderson down with ease, but Anderson would be about to squirm his way back to his feet in no time. Hughes is a tough cookie on the ground, but Anderson is a slippery mother. And stand up? There's no question who is the superior fighter there.
nubby
7/12/07 10:28:52PM
I would give hughes the win. I think he would get a take down and although Silva has good BJJ, I think Hughes would be able to out wrestle him. Then again, Silva has the meanest up kicks ever.
richieb19
7/12/07 11:00:31PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I dont know it sounds to me that the question was.
"Would you ever move up to Middleweight?"
His answer was that if Rich was champ he'd never move up because he would never want to face his friend and teammate. He would however move up if Rich wasn't the champ. Its not like he wants to move up sounds like he just answering a question more then stating he wants to fight Silva.IMO
Sounds like it may be a little misconstrued.

No, he actually said he would move up and face Anderson Silva, but that was when he was the WW champ aswell. He wanted to hold two belts...

I imagine it would go pretty much the same way as his fight with Pele...
DevonFoxy
7/12/07 11:08:39PM
ahh nm then guess it just sounded like it to me.
xchickox
7/13/07 10:39:33AM
i'd have to go for hughes with this one, i think he'd just overpower silva even at the higher weight
pv3Hpv3p
7/13/07 11:08:04AM
didn't he state this before Rich's first fight with Anderson as well?

I have no doubt that he could fight at 185, probably not on Anderson's level, but I could easily see him beating second teir guys like Herman or Grove... Anyways, I'd say... Let's see... 41-5 as a WW... 9 time champ or whatever... Hey Matt, if it ain't broke; don't fix it.
Signal2112
7/13/07 11:21:53AM
That would be a bad for for Hughes...those long arms of Silva would cut him to pieces!
johny_rotten
7/13/07 11:28:01AM
This was said by Matt before he lost to GSP. A lot has changed since then. He now has a reason to stay at WW. Matt isn't going to move up to fight Anderson. I suspect after he sends Rich to another plastic surgeon people will start cutting or gaining weight to avoid Anderson.
fizz
7/13/07 11:29:05AM
He got KTFO by GSP and he wants to take on Anderson Silva.....His he NUTS!
SubmitYou
7/13/07 11:43:08AM
Matt Hughes would pick up Silva and smash him on his head. It would be funny to watch... Yeah Silva is the better striker by about 100-1, but Hughes isn't that stupid, and would stay to what he knows and is good at... his ground game. Not to mention his incredible strength. You probably won't ever see this fight happen, but it would be closer than one might think. JMO
Northrend
7/13/07 12:22:03PM

Posted by SubmitYou

Matt Hughes would pick up Silva and smash him on his head. It would be funny to watch... Yeah Silva is the better striker by about 100-1, but Hughes isn't that stupid, and would stay to what he knows and is good at... his ground game. Not to mention his incredible strength. You probably won't ever see this fight happen, but it would be closer than one might think. JMO

Hughes shoots in...Hughes gets caught flush on the chin with a flying knee...Hughes is out 15seconds into round 1....WINNER ANDERSON SILVA
SubmitYou
7/14/07 1:46:51PM
Yeup... Now that I think about it your probably right.... lol
jocksmall
7/14/07 11:40:25PM
fun to speculate but i dont see the ufc letting this one happen. hughes could lose badly and it wouldnt be good for him or the ufc.
thebestout
12/9/07 7:59:50PM
This would be the worst idea ever for Matt Hughes and his health.