Matt Hamill the gate keeper?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Matt Hamill the gate keeper?
suckafoo
1/21/09 1:33:01AM
Is the UFC using Hamill just to root out who should be in the top tier and the bottom tier of the LHW division.

He hasn't shown himself to be able to break into the top 10 but with his win over Boetsch and Andy, that was almost like saying....nope not yet you two. But his loss to Franklin was like...ok you pass.

And now another newbie (of sorts) in Munoz. Is the UFC keeping Hamill out of the big fights on purpose? Are they babying him? Or do they think he isnt ready?

thoughts?
Wolfenstein
1/21/09 1:45:54AM
They're giving him favorable matches against guys that he has better striking than, and better wrestling. No BJJ guys just yet. Franklin was a strange blip on the screen. Maybe they wanted to see if Matt was ready for the next level--maybe they thought he might be able to outwrestle Franklin--who knows? Either way I think it was a reality check for the matchmakers, because Matt was nowhere near ready for a guy like Rich Franklin.

This is a good way to handle a marketable figher like Matt. He's been training MMA for less than three years, and he's still a little green. Within another couple fights you'll probably see Matt matched up against more difficult opposition to see if he can make the grade.

Ulfhethnar6
1/21/09 2:08:12AM
No Matt Hammil is not just a gatekeeper and that is not what the UFC intends for him. He has just shown he is not ready for the top tier when he fought Rich Franklin but he has shown he may possess the raw talent to get to the top tier with more experience.
ohiostate1016
1/21/09 9:42:40AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

They're giving him favorable matches against guys that he has better striking than, and better wrestling. No BJJ guys just yet. Franklin was a strange blip on the screen. Maybe they wanted to see if Matt was ready for the next level--maybe they thought he might be able to outwrestle Franklin--who knows? Either way I think it was a reality check for the matchmakers, because Matt was nowhere near ready for a guy like Rich Franklin.

This is a good way to handle a marketable figher like Matt. He's been training MMA for less than three years, and he's still a little green. Within another couple fights you'll probably see Matt matched up against more difficult opposition to see if he can make the grade.

Right on the button.

I think that he gets Munoz and then probably Jardine (after he loses to Rampage).
Franklinfan47
1/21/09 11:44:56AM
I don't consider Hamill a gatekeeper just yet. I think what you see as "test fights", I see as the ufc trying to build him back up after his loss to Franklin. He could still become a contender one day.
fizzle
1/21/09 2:15:34PM
The UFc is building him up because they see something in him. At anyrate i see these fights as a yard stick as well as useful tune up fights for Matt. After he gets his strikeing down, if he develops a strong submission game, I see Matt being a champion some day.
prozacnation1978
1/21/09 2:22:01PM
matt deserves better than andy reese and munoz
matt should be fighting brandon vera
with patt fighting munoz
EvenFlow
1/21/09 6:51:45PM
Munoz needs to get beat to widen his all around game and Hamill needs as much experience as he can get. He gets better everytime he fights, the Franklin fight where he didnt go for takedowns and decided to strike it out with Rich is the exception. I dont think hes a gatekeeper at all, I think he would beat a lot of great fighters now, a few years from now he'll be even better.
cowcatcher
1/21/09 7:18:36PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Munoz needs to get beat to widen his all around game and Hamill needs as much experience as he can get. He gets better everytime he fights, the Franklin fight where he didnt go for takedowns and decided to strike it out with Rich is the exception. I dont think hes a gatekeeper at all, I think he would beat a lot of great fighters now, a few years from now he'll be even better.

well im not sure munoz needs a loss to get better, but he does need a step up in opponents and he needs to fight guys that bring different things to a fight like a great bjj guy, or a great stand up fighter to see if he can weather different styles of fighters.

as far as hamill goes, the guy has talent and the best base for mma as far as im concerned and thats wrestling. he is very very raw though and when he gets away from his game plan, like you mentioned with the franklin fight, he is fairly lost because his strking isnt up to snuff yet. time is what he needs to get to be a top level fighter, and theres no hurrying that, not to mention there are no guarantees that he will live up to expectations.

gatekeeper isnt a dirty word, but the guys that fall into that category are not guys you will see wearing a strap in most cases. right now hamill is basically just that, but given his marketability, and natural ability i think the guys got a bright future. he just has to continue to work hard and stay motivated and things should fall into place as he moves up the ladder. i worry about his heart though, sure the TUF stuff gets over dramatized, but the way he reacted to a head kick in sparring still has me worried. once i see him take a huge shot and stay composed it will erase a lot of question marks that i have.
bls1919
1/21/09 11:37:38PM
The guy hasn't had enough experience to call him a gatekeeper. He is still a baby in this sport. His stand up will get much better and his sub defense will also evolve. Time wil tell but IMO Matt will be in the top 5 LHWs in the UFC by the end of 2010.
fizzle
1/22/09 2:15:49PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by EvenFlow

well im not sure munoz needs a loss to get better, but he does need a step up in opponents and he needs to fight guys that bring different things to a fight like a great bjj guy, or a great stand up fighter to see if he can weather different styles of fighters.

as far as hamill goes, the guy has talent and the best base for mma as far as im concerned and thats wrestling. he is very very raw though and when he gets away from his game plan, like you mentioned with the franklin fight, he is fairly lost because his strking isnt up to snuff yet. time is what he needs to get to be a top level fighter, and theres no hurrying that, not to mention there are no guarantees that he will live up to expectations.

gatekeeper isnt a dirty word, but the guys that fall into that category are not guys you will see wearing a strap in most cases. right now hamill is basically just that, but given his marketability, and natural ability i think the guys got a bright future. he just has to continue to work hard and stay motivated and things should fall into place as he moves up the ladder. i worry about his heart though, sure the TUF stuff gets over dramatized, but the way he reacted to a head kick in sparring still has me worried. once i see him take a huge shot and stay composed it will erase a lot of question marks that i have.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about a heard shot, i recall Hamill taking some significant damage in the Tim Boetch fight.
Jackelope
1/22/09 3:35:26PM
I know there's a lot of Matt Hamill fans out there, so I'm trying to say this in the least demeaning manner possible.

I don't think Matt Hamill will ever crack the top 10 at LHW. That's just a matter of personal opinion in this case, though. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
MattHughesRules
1/22/09 9:09:17PM
I don't think that Hamill is a gate keeper at all. He is a young fighter and I think he had a pretty successful career ahead of him. His wrestling is top tier and his hands and striking are improving every fight. Granted he was not at all ready for Franklin but it was a good reality check for him. Give him time.
RNC
1/23/09 1:49:09AM
Hamill could easily be looked at as a gatekeeper. Will he always be a gatekeeper? No. As people have said before me, he is still a baby in the sport and has a bright future ahead of him. However, at this point in time, Hamill falls into the crack of the division where he is not contender material, yet, he is not a struggling fighter. As of right now, Hamill is directly in the middle of the mix and a win against him does mean you are running with the top LHW's. In time Hamill will have a successful career, but for now he is a gatekeeper at 205.

To elaborate, someone said before me that Hamill's fight with Franklin was a test for Hamill. Actually, I think the UFC intended the opposite. The UFC wanted to see how Franklin would do back at 205, so they gave him a legitimate fighter. They gave him someone who was talented, yet not quite a top LHW. They gave him Matt Hamill - the gate keeper.

I think that Matt Hamill has incredible potential to be a top LHW in the future and I do believe that he will get there one day. If he can learn to fight smart, stick to game plans and better utilize his wrestling, this guy has all of the tools he needs to be a beast in his division. Undoubtably, Hamill will be around for awhile, and big things are only yet to come for him. But as it goes, for now he is 205's gatekeeper, and that is not a bad thing at all.