Matt Hamill Fought With a Staph Infection and a Broken Hand

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hamill Fought With a Staph Infection and a Broken Hand
Next Page »
jae_1833
6/20/10 3:55:21AM
link
See that nasty looking red spot on Matt Hamill's back? Well, during the post-fight presser, he confirmed that it was a staph infection. Aside from fighting through that and getting his eye poked in the second round, Hamill also said that he gutted out a decision with a broken hand from the first.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/20/10 4:11:20AM
I was totally wondering what that was. I streamed it because I have cable and the west coast "live" finale was at 9, so I couldn't quite see it all that well but I pointed it out to my friend. Man, that's a hell of a win.
jay98107
6/20/10 5:06:32AM
You're allowed to fight with a staph infection?
RearNakedJoke
6/20/10 5:12:03AM
Hamill is tough as balls! he brutalized Jardine.

even got a 10-8 round in there.
jiujitsufreak74
6/20/10 5:31:24AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

well you have to include the point deduction. without the eye poke the scores would have been 29-28, 28-29 and 29-28 for a SD in Hamills favor.

i also noticed the thing on his back and joked that he had trained for this fight int he matrix since it looked like he was hooked up to one of the matrix pods lmfao. i imagine his broken hand was his right hand because he kept throwing his jab as his power punch, which because of his strength turned out to actually work.

good win for Hamill, as a big fan of his i'll enjoy it. he just needs to really work on his striking, he moves a little slow and provides an easy target. also, he isn't very well versed at checking kicks...just ask rich franklin. regardless, he is still a solid LHW and look forward to seeing him fight again
BlueSkiesBurn
6/20/10 5:41:15AM
I'm always glad when Hammil wins. He's a great dude and looked visibly upset at his performance.
sparky
6/20/10 9:03:54AM
I kind of thought Jardine might have done more in the 3 rd but i'm not a judge'
grappler0000
6/20/10 9:42:12AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i also noticed the thing on his back and joked that he had trained for this fight int he matrix since it looked like he was hooked up to one of the matrix pods lmfao.

I was joking that it was his reset button, in case he got knocked out cold.
prozacnation1978
6/20/10 9:47:16AM
I thought the match was very close and the point deduction was harsh
A lot of fights get eye pokes never seen a point get deducted before
tmas
6/20/10 10:21:21AM
i knew it was a staph infection i seen to many to not know, at the weigh ins i saw pics and told some friends he clearly had a staph infection, i almost didnt pick him because of it.

yes you can fight with staph a lot of fighters have in the past as well big nog did against mir not all that long ago even.

and what a tough dude staph, broken hand, vicious accidental eye poke and still gutted out a W and took it to Jardizzile
Twenty20Dollars
6/20/10 11:20:26AM
It would seem like things arent going hamill's way with the injury in the jon jones fight but he got the DQ win, then had staph infection going into the jardine fight and got poked in the eye and broke his hand but still got the win.

I just wish Hamill would keep his damn hands up!! I scream that every time he fights.
emfleek
6/20/10 11:38:32AM
I thought it was a newly inked tramp stamp.

Thankfully I was wrong.
icantthinkofanything
6/20/10 11:51:19AM
I don't know what to make of these post fight injury remarks with everyone in general. I don't think its safe to bleed on another bloody guy if you have staph infection. wtf? I do give props for fighting through a broken hand. I am so tired of Tito and other guys complaining or giving excuses, (like Rampage recently)make excuses about fighting injured or sick, I wonder why they do it at all, if they don't need the money.

I thought Jardine won the 1st and 3rd. I think the point deduction was unfair. Jardine didnt do it on purpose, and I thought points aren't taken for accidental eye pokes. Rich Franklin would have beaten Hendo if that were the case (imo)

It was good to see Jardine fight well eventhough he lost. I think they will keep him for up n comers to fight, especially because he is always in exciting standup fights.
BMF
6/20/10 12:16:10PM
I remember the Johnson fight when he was poked in the eye and fell to the ground, the ref stopped the fight and awarded Burns the TKO victory. So shouldn't Hamill lost the fight on the same basis instead of Jardine being docked 1 point?
Giant_Ochai
6/20/10 12:18:51PM

Posted by BMF

I remember the Johnson fight when he was poked in the eye and fell to the ground, the ref stopped the fight and awarded Burns the TKO victory. So shouldn't Hamill lost the fight on the same basis instead of Jardine being docked 1 point?

No.
BMF
6/20/10 12:20:27PM
How about elaborating on the No response.
noahgenda
6/20/10 12:34:44PM
come on dude, you know eye pokes are illegal. you probably also know that was a very controversial ending. the ref messed up in the rumble fight, he didnt see the eye poke, he thought rumble got punched. it should hav ebeen the exact same thing as this fight, but it was way worse and i doubt rumble could have continued. fight should have either been ruled a no contest or a dq at the point. if he was able to continue burns would have lost a point. but it is moot because the ref f'ed up
chokehead
6/20/10 12:42:39PM
Rich Franklin fought with a broken arm.

Pat Barry fought with a broken hand, and foot.

Matt Hamill fought with a broken hand, with staph infection, through an eye poke that left his eye bleeding, and through deafness.

Respect. Pure. Utter. Respect. To all of these guys, but in particular, Matt Hamil. You will never need to doubt the man's heart.
Jackelope
6/20/10 12:42:50PM
I can't believe this didn't come up with the commission. Fighting with Staph? That's a big deal. Staph can kill people. He should not have been allowed to fight with it.

I'm not understanding how this slipped through the cracks. I know other fighters have slipped through before, too... but think of all the people who were exposed because of it. Luckily in this case it was a later fight but we know for sure that at least 3 people were exposed to his blood.

Tough mother f'er for sure, but that's irresponsible iMO.

EDIT: I was also wondering what the spot was on his back but I couldn't tell for sure cuz I was streaming the earlier showing as well. Like emfleek I thought it was either some kind of new tattoo or something minor. I should have known staph but the thought didn't even occur to me that someone would actually be out there fighting with that big of a staph wound.
chokehead
6/20/10 1:15:41PM
"Following the evening's press conference, Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) that he was aware of Hamill's condition prior to the bout. Kizer said that a licensed doctor had viewed the wound on Friday. After weighing the potential risks to both Hamill and Jardine, the doctor cleared "The Hammer" to fight."

Don't worry about it, fella. People knew about it clear in advance.
Jackelope
6/20/10 1:17:47PM

Posted by chokehead

"Following the evening's press conference, Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) that he was aware of Hamill's condition prior to the bout. Kizer said that a licensed doctor had viewed the wound on Friday. After weighing the potential risks to both Hamill and Jardine, the doctor cleared "The Hammer" to fight."

Don't worry about it, fella. People knew about it clear in advance.

Thanks for that. Props on the way.

Still seems irresponsible to me. We saw how Staph devastated Kevin Randleman's career. I'm very surprised they would allow this to happen. I'm not a doctor, though, so I'm not going to pretend to know all the risk factors. As long as it was addressed I guess that's all we can ask
tmas
6/20/10 1:42:19PM
it depends on what kind of staph too, obviously he was well enough to fight and therefore not that big of a threat wasnt so serious that it would put him in hospital or death or anything.....it looked like it was in its latter stages too, also i dont think you all realize just how much they disinfect everything between fights.

They go through after each fight spray down the canvas/mat whatever disinfect it clean the blood and all off......Generally speaking if the staph infection wasnt leaking out its not gonna spread i think i could be wrong about that but still ......
noahgenda
6/20/10 2:01:36PM
well it certainly wasnt in his blood, or he would have been in the hospital. bacterial infection in blood stream = sepsis, shock, and death
Jackelope
6/20/10 2:04:06PM

Posted by tmas

it depends on what kind of staph too, obviously he was well enough to fight and therefore not that big of a threat wasnt so serious that it would put him in hospital or death or anything.....it looked like it was in its latter stages too, also i dont think you all realize just how much they disinfect everything between fights.

They go through after each fight spray down the canvas/mat whatever disinfect it clean the blood and all off......Generally speaking if the staph infection wasnt leaking out its not gonna spread i think i could be wrong about that but still ......

Well I've been to a number of live events of different orgs, so I've seen them decon the area. I think you're exaggerating when you say "just how much they disinfect" because from what I've seen, even in the UFC, they don't do a serious decontamination. A serious decon would require the use of exorbitant amount of bleach and lots of wiping. A little bit of wiping doesn't constitute that IMO. Especially in the UFC where there are only a couple of minutes between fight endings and fighter entrances.

Yes, there are different kinds of staph- MRSA being the worst, but anybody who trains knows that the golden rule at most gyms is that anybody with ANY kind of skin infection is usually banned from the gym until it is cleared up. With training camps this rule gets ignored a lot, but in all honesty it shouldn't be. That being said a lot of people hide their infections and train anyways, too.

Do you know where most of the world's staph infections come from? Hospitals and operating rooms. I'd wager a large sum of money on hospitals being cleaned and de-conned a hell of a lot better than the inside of a UFC cage after a fight.

Also I'll throw out the disclaimer that I'm not exactly speaking out of ignorance here since BSI (Body Substance Isolation) is a huge part of my job as an EMT and we're always on the lookout for crap like this.
RearNakedJoke
6/20/10 4:46:44PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by RearNakedJoke

well you have to include the point deduction. without the eye poke the scores would have been 29-28, 28-29 and 29-28 for a SD in Hamills favor.

i also noticed the thing on his back and joked that he had trained for this fight int he matrix since it looked like he was hooked up to one of the matrix pods lmfao. i imagine his broken hand was his right hand because he kept throwing his jab as his power punch, which because of his strength turned out to actually work.

good win for Hamill, as a big fan of his i'll enjoy it. he just needs to really work on his striking, he moves a little slow and provides an easy target. also, he isn't very well versed at checking kicks...just ask rich franklin. regardless, he is still a solid LHW and look forward to seeing him fight again

didnt realize there was a point deduction. that eye poke looked totally unintentional.

the thing on his back looked like a bad bruise. it was hard to tell on my TV. hope heals up quick!
marcoDGK
6/20/10 5:23:23PM

Posted by jay98107

You're allowed to fight with a staph infection?

seriously, wtf? aren't those things highly contagious?
bjj1605
6/20/10 5:31:09PM
I was wondering what that was. Bad move by the doctor to allow this but even more impressive performance from Hammil considering.

BTW, no way Jardine won that fight. The point deduction was just considering the degree of the poke and he lost 2 rounds.
a-bombizzle
6/21/10 1:46:19AM
i don't give hamill any credit for winning that fight a)the fight shouln't even have happened due too infection b) the poke in the eye was an accident and the point should not have been deducted and c) thats two fights in a row where he lucked out. plus i also thought jardine (who i'm not a fan of either) took rounds one and three
bjj1605
6/21/10 1:53:09AM

Posted by a-bombizzle

i don't give hamill any credit for winning that fight a)the fight shouln't even have happened due too infection b) the poke in the eye was an accident and the point should not have been deducted and c) thats two fights in a row where he lucked out. plus i also thought jardine (who i'm not a fan of either) took rounds one and three

I find myself doubting whether you actually watched the fight or read anything about it or know anything about MMA....
BlueSkiesBurn
6/21/10 2:50:21AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by a-bombizzle

I find myself doubting whether you actually watched the fight or read anything about it or know anything about MMA....

Man, I love the playground.
Pages: [1] 2