Matt Hamill

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Matt Hamill
Next Page »
nubby
3/30/07 3:37:03PM
Is this guy going to be any good. With three official fights and three official wins, do you see him becoming anything more than just a really good wrestler?
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 3:40:01PM
hmmm i think he can be pretty good hes really strong and an excellent wrestler give him time he'll be good.
nubby
3/30/07 3:44:37PM
Side question: what about Kendal Grove?
The dude is tall lanky and seems to be a very technical fighter. But will he rise above the rest?
cant_hit_bombz
3/30/07 3:50:47PM
Lets see

World class Wrestler

Strong as an Ox

Incredible work ethic

Sounds like Matt Hughes to me
cowcatcher
3/30/07 3:51:14PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

Lets see

World class Wrestler

Strong as an Ox

Incredible work ethic

THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 3:53:21PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

Lets see

World class Wrestler

Strong as an Ox

Incredible work ethic

cant_hit_bombz
3/30/07 4:09:38PM
Not to be a TUF nutthugger, but I really think Hammill's only problem will be his " killer" instinct. i really didn't see that in the tuf series and his last fight
Lay_N_Pray
3/30/07 4:25:35PM
Hamill is good but he needs to get some sort of stand-up. He is completely out of control on his feet when he strikes and if he wants to be a serious contendor he will have to work on that for sure.

His wrestling will give him an advantage against most of the weight division, but to be at the top he will need to at least learn better defense while standing.

I think Grove has a huge upside and in time could give Silva some problems. He has a perfect build and really good ju jitsu. I think two more fights and we will know if he has tapped into all his potential
hippysmacker
3/30/07 4:36:03PM
I agree Hammil needs polish, especially needs to keep his hands up. However, and I hate to saying anything good about Tito, Tito is an excellent coach. If he keeps learning I think he could make the top 10 someday. Still a couple a years away from any kind of contention IMO though, even if he keeps progressing. It's really comes down to how much he wants it.
Rush
3/30/07 5:15:58PM
If Matt stays with Team Punishment, I don't think he will become a champion.

Tito, despite appearing like a good coach on TUF, is not talented enough in all aspects of the game, to produce champions.

Matt needs to know when he has gotten all he can from Tito and move on.
nubby
3/30/07 5:30:11PM

Posted by Rush

Tito, despite appearing like a good coach on TUF, is not talented enough in all aspects of the game, to produce champions.

I don't think you need to be talented in all aspects of the game to be a good coach. I think you just need an understanding of what goes on in the cage to know what a person needs to work on. For example, Tito is not the best wrestler but he can tell just by stepping in the ring with someone whether or not they need to get better at wrestling. Another example is Matt Hughes. The dude is a ground and pounder, not very talented in stand up striking, not particularly good at juijitsu but I'm sure he would make an excellent coach for Hamill. A lot of other people have said that its not the well rounded fighters that become champions, its the fighters who excell at one thing and then make sure that they minimize their weaknesses to the other aspects. Look at Liddell, on the ground the man sucks balls, so he gets up every time he gets knocked down. Liddell doesn't wrestle, and he forces the other fighters to fight his way, standing up.
cant_hit_bombz
3/30/07 5:32:54PM
i agree w/ nubby

My highschool Basketball coach was in a wheelchair and he was the best coach i've ever had. He knew more about the game than 99% of the people that play it.
cowcatcher
3/30/07 5:39:03PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by Rush

I don't think you need to be talented in all aspects of the game to be a good coach. I think you just need an understanding of what goes on in the cage to know what a person needs to work on. For example, Tito is not the best wrestler but he can tell just by stepping in the ring with someone whether or not they need to get better at wrestling. Another example is Matt Hughes. The dude is a ground and pounder, not very talented in stand up striking, not particularly good at juijitsu but I'm sure he would make an excellent coach for Hamill. A lot of other people have said that its not the well rounded fighters that become champions, its the fighters who excell at one thing and then make sure that they minimize their weaknesses to the other aspects. Look at Liddell, on the ground the man sucks balls, so he gets up every time he gets knocked down. Liddell doesn't wrestle, and he forces the other fighters to fight his way,
standing up.

chucks ground game is obviously ok if every time he goes down he just gets back up where he wants to be, not to mention he was a college wrestler. also tito is a very good wrestler, i dont know what you think his strong point is if its not wrestling, maybe conditioning, but as far as a form goes its his wrestling. i dont get it man, where are you from!!!???
Trapt1nw0nder
3/30/07 6:11:44PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

i agree w/ nubby

My highschool Basketball coach was in a wheelchair and he was the best coach i've ever had. He knew more about the game than 99% of the people that play it.

....i agree with you and Nubby

loller90278
3/30/07 6:27:42PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

i agree w/ nubby

thats irrevelent.

him being in a wheelchair doesn't effect the way he thinks and the abilty to coach

tito on the other hand leans more towards GnP in his fights and will make sure to impose that way of fighting because of bias.

wheelchair = unbias towards aspects of game
being a wrestler and not JJ, sambo, freestyle, muy thai fighter = bias aspect in a coaching position
cant_hit_bombz
3/30/07 6:42:13PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

i agree w/ nubby

thats irrevelent.

him being in a wheelchair doesn't effect the way he thinks and the abilty to coach

tito on the other hand leans more towards GnP in his fights and will make sure to impose that way of fighting because of bias.

being a wrestler and not JJ, sambo, freestyle, muy thai fighter = bias aspect in a coaching position

Sooooo Tony Dungy the head coach of the colts who is well known as a defensive minded coach imposed his way of coaching on the best offensive team in football?

Did you watch any of the TUF show with Tito? they showed Tito alot of the time trying to get Hamill to keep his hands up and work on his stand up
nubby
3/30/07 6:42:44PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

i agree w/ nubby

thats irrevelent.

That's under the assumption that bias somehow makes you a bad coach. It doesn't. As long as your bias can lead to winning, I fail to see how it's a bad thing.
nubby
3/30/07 6:47:10PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by nubby

Posted by Rush

I don't think you need to be talented in all aspects of the game to be a good coach. I think you just need an understanding of what goes on in the cage to know what a person needs to work on. For example, Tito is not the best wrestler but he can tell just by stepping in the ring with someone whether or not they need to get better at wrestling. Another example is Matt Hughes. The dude is a ground and pounder, not very talented in stand up striking, not particularly good at juijitsu but I'm sure he would make an excellent coach for Hamill. A lot of other people have said that its not the well rounded fighters that become champions, its the fighters who excell at one thing and then make sure that they minimize their weaknesses to the other aspects. Look at Liddell, on the ground the man sucks balls, so he gets up every time he gets knocked down. Liddell doesn't wrestle, and he forces the other fighters to fight his way,
standing up.

chucks ground game is obviously ok if every time he goes down he just gets back up where he wants to be, not to mention he was a college wrestler. also tito is a very good wrestler, i dont know what you think his strong point is if its not wrestling, maybe conditioning, but as far as a form goes its his wrestling. i dont get it man, where are you from!!!???

If you read my statement, it's that Tito is not the best wrestler, not that he is a shitty wrestler. Learn to read. I could name tons of MMA stars that are better pure wrestlers. Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, Rampage Jackson, and probably Rashad Evans. Tito never won any NCAA division I titles, he never went to the olympics, and maybe at best he won state competitions in junior college. I know my favorite fighter and I know what he is capable of.
loller90278
3/30/07 6:51:21PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

Posted by loller90278

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

i agree w/ nubby

thats irrevelent.

Sooooo Tony Dungy the head coach of the colts who is well known as a defensive minded coach imposed his way of coaching on the best offensive team in football?

Did you watch any of the TUF show with Tito? they showed Tito alot of the time trying to get Hamill to keep his hands up and work on his stand up

nah didn't watch tuf,(stopped watchin after season 1..) but i assume titos training in stand up wouldn't be up to par as some of the elite trainers in the world
Mv356
3/30/07 8:06:26PM
Tito wrestling > Rampage wrestling

Chuck liddel not good on the ground? Ur an artard
nubby
3/30/07 8:11:30PM

Posted by Mv356

I would have to disagree here, Jackson is way more controlling with his wrestling, at least in the fights I have seen.
Rush
3/30/07 8:36:49PM
My comment was totally misunderstood. I never said Tito wasn't a good coach. In fact I said he appeared to be a good coach on TUF.

Tito being a coach is irrelevant (good or bad) at this stage of Matt's career.

Mark needs someone to teach him more aspects of MMA. I don't think Tito is an expert in any of them. I think he started out as a wrestler and Matt is equally or more gifted in wrestling than Tito.

GSP is a great fighter, but if I was a stand up guy and needed to learn BJJ, I would be going to Rickson Gracie or Mario Sperry, not GSP.

Any fighter needs to learn from the best. Why do you think Diego is learning from Oscar and not some other guy in the UFC?

I will restate my opinion. Tito will only take Matt so far. I do not think he will make him a champion. He can't even take the championship himself.

nubby
3/30/07 8:52:41PM

Posted by Rush

My comment was totally misunderstood. I never said Tito wasn't a good coach. In fact I said he appeared to be a good coach on TUF.

Mark needs someone to teach him more aspects of MMA. I don't think Tito is an expert in any of them. I think he started out as a wrestler and Matt is equally or more gifted in wrestling than Tito.

GSP is a great fighter, but if I was a stand up guy and needed to learn BJJ, I would be going to Rickson Gracie or Mario Sperry, not GSP.

Any fighter needs to learn from the best. Why do you think Diego is learning from Oscar and not some other guy in the UFC?

I will restate my opinion. Tito will only take Matt so far. I do not think he will make him a champion. He can't even take the championship himself.

And neither could couture (LHW), does that mean couture can only take him so far as well? I think pure and simple that Liddell is Ortiz's kryptonite. If liddell wasnt champion tito would be.
Rush
3/30/07 9:01:54PM
So Tito's striking is not good enough to come close to beating Chuck, right? How would you expect Tito to teach Matt to strike well enough to beat Chuck?

I don't think Randy could make Matt a champion either. Then again, Team Quest might be more than I expect it to (knowledge base)

Team Punishment seems to be Tito's own personal cult, mostly based from TUF kids. I think many of those guys will move on.

Matt's problem is not coaching. It's knowledge. I don't think he can get the knowledge he needs from Tito.
loller90278
3/30/07 10:54:30PM

Posted by Rush

that's what i was tryna say
good job mate!
Rush
3/30/07 11:29:07PM
I'm glad one person agrees with me.
dstlvb
4/1/07 9:42:07AM
Ttio brings in one of the beast grapplers in the world to teach in Dean. Im not as familiar with Saul, but ive heard good things. So with those two in place it seems to me that Matt will get top notch grappling, and striking training. Throw in Titos area of expertice and the cardio and it sounds like a pretty good combo to me. Tito is just the Figurehead for Team Punishment, it not like he is there only coach and teaches everything. Team Punishment to me right now is doing very good work with alot of the young fighters that will take MMA into the next generation. I am like what camp Jackson is doing in Arizona. In a year or two these two camps have a good chance to be where Militech is today, or was before the losses. In Matts last fight he was fighting out of a different place than Las Vegas where Team Punishment is located so he might already have moved on.
Gogoplata
4/1/07 2:02:37PM
Matt needs to work on his hands instead of going to Big Bear and training with Tito. I've always thought that great wrestlers have no need to train with other wrestlers. What Hammill needs to do is work on his standup game.
Gogoplata
4/1/07 2:04:41PM

Posted by Mv356

When is the last time Chuck was on the ground?
papercut
4/1/07 2:22:39PM

Posted by Gogoplata

Posted by Mv356

When is the last time Chuck was on the ground?

not to sound rude or anything but just because he hasn't been on the ground lately doesn't mean he's bad down there he was a wrestler in college and I'm sure he trains wrestling and BJJ just incase he does get taken down
Pages: [1] 2