Matt Hamill out 3-4 weeks, Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera at UFC 102 (Updated)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hamill out 3-4 weeks, Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera at UFC 102 (Updated)
ncordless
7/20/09 5:48:51PM
An intriguing light-heavyweight bout between Matt Hamill (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Brandon Vera (10-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) has been scratched from UFC 102's main card and will be replaced by a Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (18-8-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) fight.

The change, first reported by Sherdog, resulted from an injured knee suffered by Hamill during a recent training session.

"(It's) just a meniscus tear," Hamill's trainer, Duff Holmes, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He's going for a scope tomorrow, and we'll be back to training after three or four weeks of rehab.

"It was something that just crept up on us and was getting worse and worse. It was really affecting his ability to go to the ground and was giving out on him. ... We are very disappointed with having to pull out, and we were really looking forward to the fight with Vera. He is a true mixed martial artist, and we were eager to test Matt against someone of his abilities."

UFC 102 takes place Aug. 29 at the Rose Center in Portland, Ore. The event, headlined by Randy Couture vs. fellow former UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, airs on pay-per-view.

As of Monday afternoon, the Vera vs. Hamill bout was still listed on UFC.com. Although not official, the Vera vs. Soszynski bout will likely remain on the night's televised main card.
link
Kpro
7/20/09 5:58:25PM
So now they can set Bisping vs. Hamill for UFC 105 ?
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/09 6:01:08PM
This is an interesting fight to call, I might go with Krzy he's been on a roll.
ncordless
7/20/09 6:03:21PM

Posted by Kpro

If so, the UFC would be keeping up with the recent trend of "re-matches of close fights that no one really wants to see."
Nightmare27
7/20/09 6:07:08PM
The UFC must love Krzysztof, he is always willing to take a fight on short notice. Hamill vs Bisping would be nice to settle that score, if Bisping hadnt dropped down to MW.
finnish_line
7/20/09 6:29:18PM

If Krzysztof wins this, he's a definite upper-mid level player in that division.

Hate Vera, so will be cheering the KRZ on.
joshryanshepherd
7/20/09 6:32:51PM
will be a great fight. not sure who to pick. Brandon might over whelm him in the clinch with knees or slap on a slick sub off his back.

Definitely leaning toward Vera with his experience!
DCRage
7/20/09 6:43:51PM
Unfortunate for my boy Hamill, I always look forward to his fights.
Irish_Pride
7/20/09 6:44:09PM
I think Vera will probably win but I'm hoping The Polish Experiment wins because I am not a big fan of Vera. Interesting matchup though.
Rush
7/20/09 6:55:35PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Kpro

If so, the UFC would be keeping up with the recent trend of "re-matches of close fights that no one really wants to see."

Not only that, but rematches between fighters that are now in different weight divisions.
KaibaThedon
7/20/09 7:20:46PM
Had Matt Hamill winning the original fight...

Switching it over to Krysztoff... I never really thought Brandon Vera was great anyways...

Twenty20Dollars
7/20/09 7:43:14PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

will be a great fight. not sure who to pick. Brandon might over whelm him in the clinch with knees or slap on a slick sub off his back.

Definitely leaning toward Vera with his experience!

I think Krzy has more exp, maybe not UFC fights 18-8-1 will be his 4th UFC fight.

Vera 10-3 next will be his 10 UFC fight.
NatedawgThaM
7/20/09 8:31:01PM
Veras most likely going to kill him. Striking wise, it should be a first round massacre with Vera just picking him apart if they wanna stand, Veras a huge 205er, I think it will definitely be hard to get him to the ground and keep him there, and I definitely think Veras BJJ is better then Krz. Bad match up for Krysztof IMO. Vera has the ability to take him out impressively in the 1st round and make it look like what he did to Pratt, depends if Vera lives up to his potential and how long he lets this one last. But Kryz defintely has a punchers chance, just think Veras technique is at a whole other level.
Jackelope
7/20/09 8:34:22PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Veras most likely going to kill him. Striking wise, it should be a first round massacre with Vera just picking him apart if they wanna stand, Veras a huge 205er, I think it will definitely be hard to get him to the ground and keep him there, and I definitely think Veras BJJ is better then Krz. Bad match up for Krysztof IMO. Vera has the ability to take him out impressively in the 1st round and make it look like what he did to Pratt, depends if Vera lives up to his potential and how long he lets this one last. But Kryz defintely has a punchers chance, just think Veras technique is at a whole other level.

Kryzstoff cuts from bigger than Vera used to fight at HW as, actually. In terms of size the distinct advantage should go to Kryzstoff. Just wait til you see them lined up next to each other at the weigh ins. K.S. is freaking massive.
Bloodhound
7/20/09 8:47:27PM
i think stylisticlly this is a good match for Vera
prozacnation1978
7/20/09 10:01:00PM
i was looking forward to the match up i have seen hamill fight his last two fights live, so this change up i am glad the ufc got a suitable fighter for vera
should be good match
Khaos
7/20/09 11:28:27PM
Though stylistically I think Soszynski is at a disadvantage, I still think he'll win the fight base of his wrestling and BJJ, not that either are world class, but IMO they're good enough to beat Vera, who i think has been hyped a little to much the years.
Nightmare27
7/21/09 12:25:43AM
I thought Hamill was going to win, at least now I dont have to put the tv on mute during the post fight interview.
scobac
7/21/09 12:51:32AM

Posted by Khaos

Though stylistically I think Soszynski is at a disadvantage, I still think hill win the fight base of his wrestling and BJJ, not that either are world class, but IMO they're good enough to beat Vera, who i think has been hyped a little to much the years.

I would give the wrestling to vera without a doubt, I want KS to win but I dont know where he can do it, I just dont see him catchin vera with a sub.
As long as vera comes in, in shape.
RearNakedJoke
7/21/09 12:57:04AM

I thought Hamill was going to win, at least now I dont have to put the tv on mute during the post fight interview.

seriously!? i turn that mother up for hamill interviews!

sad to see this fight scratched i love watching Matt's progression. he's become one of my favorites to watch.

Kryz has really become the UFC's go to LHW. he's quickly becoming a favorite too. the guy always brings it even on short notice!

looking forward to this almost as much as the original match up!
fizzle
7/21/09 1:04:50AM
Matt Hamill is a warrior and I was really looking forward to see his improvement in this fight. I think Hamill has the tools to become a real force in the 205 division. I don't know who I'm going to pick in this fight as I had Hamill FTW, though this match up is a bit harder to pick for me. Good replacement by the UFC, its still an exciting fight for us fans.
Nightmare27
7/21/09 1:44:27AM
Hamill gets all of my respect and thats why I mute the tv. I feel like a dick laughing at the way he talks. Hamill is a warrior there is no doubt about it. Who would have thought that his stand up would have improved so much?!
RearNakedJoke
7/21/09 4:33:34AM
i admit sometimes i laugh but he says some funny stuff sometimes. it's not so much how he says it. hes a like a big excited kid when he wins. can't help but smile everytime.

his standup used to be scary to watch. like the way he checked kicks with his face.

now its scary to have to face it. you never know what hes going to throw at you but you can be sure it will hurt.
jocka
7/21/09 12:19:22PM
This is the type of fight i love to watch but hate to choose a winner, I am such a fan of both. I hope this finishes in a double KO lol