Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta
Budgellism
2/11/12 3:52:19PM
Ask, and you shall receive.

Days after UFC 143 winner Matt Brown (13-11 MMA, 6-5 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio he wasn't going to call out his next opponent – and then indirectly calling out his next opponent – UFC officials have given "The Immortal" a fight with Stephen Thompson (6-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

The contest was first reported by GreenvilleOnline.com and later confirmed by UFC officials.

Featuring a main event between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former titleholder Rashad Evans, UFC 145 takes place April 21 at Atlanta's Philips Arena.

LINK
gartface
2/11/12 4:17:56PM
YES!!!!
FastKnockout
2/11/12 4:28:08PM
Not the smartest move, Mr. Brown.
DeadHead988
2/11/12 4:51:57PM
Brown's barely clinging on to his ufc career as it is, calling out dangerous new players is not a good idea.
Budgellism
2/11/12 4:54:57PM
Brown is tough and exciting but he struggled with Chris Cope... I don't see him winning this one. He's never been knocked out though so I dunno.
prozacnation1978
2/11/12 5:26:14PM
I do love the match up
Like the fact the card is 12 fights now
No real co main but i will take 12 fights over 11 anyday
Come Wed I will get up early to grab my ticket for.this event
Bubbles
2/11/12 5:41:47PM
Thompson all day
bjj1605
2/11/12 5:54:46PM
poor Brown
Aether
2/11/12 6:45:47PM
I don't know, maybe his thought process is that he can guarantee an exciting fight with this matchup, but it's pretty bad stylistically for him.
Lesnar1
2/11/12 7:03:01PM
Awesome Matchup.
mattjonesy
2/11/12 8:48:08PM
People counting out Brown really? Thompson is very green! Brown will bring it.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/11/12 9:04:42PM
YES!!! Im glad there was a quick turn around on Thompson.
teddythetuna
2/11/12 9:35:08PM
got a feeling Brown isnt going to see one of those kicks coming. Brown will last until the second rnd but i think its lights out after that. Thompson rnd 2 ko via head kick
DANZANRYUGUY
2/12/12 11:34:07AM
Wonderboy needs to keeps his hands up. his hands were at his waist alost the whole fight. Brown's gonna need to use his hands and set up the takedown. Put him on his back so theres no chance to kick, otherwise he may get caught with one of those like Wonderboy landed in his debut. im gonna say Brown takes it by UD.
emfleek
2/12/12 12:50:24PM
I'm surprised so many people are counting Brown out.

Matt Brown isn't Dan Stittgen.
Cooler
2/12/12 4:45:56PM
This isn't kickboxing and I'm still wondering how good Thompson's black belt in jiu jitsu is, not every black belt is a legit black belt. Even if he beats Brown, the moment he gets too wild with a grappler he gets taken down if you ask me because if he's the next Machida nobody is going to waste too much time striking with him.

If you look at how wild Thompson is in his kickboxing fights and how much more timid he is in MMA fights you see that he does not want to get taken down. And if Brown didnt have a cardio issues I would say he is going to beat Thompson. Even if Thompson is beating Brown, Matt is still more well rounded and can take this to the ground or win a clinch battle..plus we dont know how Thompsons cardio is either, a lot of questions on this kid that need to be answered before I jump on board.

Right now, I have Brown getting the Decision or TKO from GnP.
bjj1605
2/12/12 4:47:57PM

Posted by DANZANRYUGUY

Wonderboy needs to keeps his hands up. his hands were at his waist alost the whole fight. Brown's gonna need to use his hands and set up the takedown. Put him on his back so theres no chance to kick, otherwise he may get caught with one of those like Wonderboy landed in his debut. im gonna say Brown takes it by UD.

Believe it or not... every martial art in the world isn't boxing.

You sound as bad as Joe Rogan and Mike Goldeberg.

Go tell Anderson Silva, Muhamad Ali, Chuck Liddell, and Nick Diaz that they need to keep their hands up.
Pookie
2/12/12 5:12:33PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by DANZANRYUGUY

Believe it or not... every martial art in the world isn't boxing.

You sound as bad as Joe Rogan and Mike Goldeberg.

Go tell Anderson Silva, Muhamad Ali, Chuck Liddell, and Nick Diaz that they need to keep their hands up.

To be fair, other than chuck(who had his hands low to prevent takedowns, and payed for it against strikers), Anderson, Ali, and Diaz all have tremendous/comically long arms, and could get away with it because getting their opponent to engage them and come forward is exactly what they want.

In this fight Brown has a huge reach advantage over Wonderboy, and for a fighter who's primarily a kicker, having your opponent continuously pressure you while your hands are down is definitely a bad tactic.
bjj1605
2/12/12 6:31:42PM

Posted by Pookie

To be fair, other than chuck(who had his hands low to prevent takedowns, and payed for it against strikers), Anderson, Ali, and Diaz all have tremendous/comically long arms, and could get away with it because getting their opponent to engage them and come forward is exactly what they want.

In this fight Brown has a huge reach advantage over Wonderboy, and for a fighter who's primarily a kicker, having your opponent continuously pressure you while your hands are down is definitely a bad tactic.

I'm not saying that "keep your hands up" is bad advice. I come from a pretty heavily boxing-centered gym.

I just think it's strange when people (usually not pro-fighters) feel like they can/should give that advice to pro's in the UFC. It's like when people criticize Peyton Manning for screwing up a pass. It might be "your right as a fan" but it still sounds pretty dumb. Especially in this case where its such an obvious bit of advise.

Chances are that they've heard it before. Lots of martial arts (like Karate where Thompson comes from) don't believe in keeping your hands on your chin. They use movement to avoid punches.

Also, because he's a kicker, he'll be out of Brown's punching range most times during the fight.

Also, like you mentioned, some guys use it as a tactic to draw people in because they have confidence in their head movement.
Bubbles
2/12/12 8:34:54PM
Stittgen wanted to take the fight to the ground as that is where he was most comfortable...most of his wins are via submission. Thompson had his hands lowered to help prevent TDs. Brown isn't much of a takedown artist so you will see a more aggressive striker in Thompson this time around.
Aether
2/13/12 11:17:53PM

Posted by DANZANRYUGUY

When your striking is a certain level ahead of your opponent's striking you can actually create opportunities by dropping your hands and doing unorthodox things. I strongly doubt that if he were facing another good striker that he would employ the same strategy. He knew Stittgen was trying to submit him, and he knew his striking was so much better that he was taking a very low risk in order to make his strikes way more unpredictable / hard to see coming and probably to make it a little easier to stuff takedowns.

Yeah, as a general rule you should keep your hands up, but there's a certain dynamic where if your footwork, timing, and distance are better than your opponent's by a big enough margin, you actually don't even need to use your hands anymore, because your advantage is those other departments is enough to neutralize your opponent's striking.