Mats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Mats
bayonetxwork
3/6/07 8:26:52PM
Hey guys, I'm 16 years old, I've been wrestling for years, and I train in BJJ, and Muay Thai at my gym. The problem is, I can only get out to the gym about 2 times a week, so I thought, hey, why not bring the gym to my house? I've been looking at prices for grappling mats, and saw the Swain, and Mancino mats are pretty expensive.

Well I did what every american does, and hit up ebay, and found Realjitsu mats. They seem to have good feedback, and are very cheap compared to the others(12x12 mat costs around 250 bucks from them).Heres there link. I'm curious if anyone on here has ever used them, or know anyone that uses them and could tell me if they are worth the money.

Thanks for the help.
Svartorm
3/7/07 2:04:39AM
If you're looking to go the cheap route, hit up Wal*mart and buy these.

You can do a 12x12 area for just over $100. They're not great, but they're very durable, and don't move around at all. I've trained on these things in a garage with a concrete floor and haven't been hurt, even when getting slammed or hiptossed on the things.
bayonetxwork
3/7/07 10:29:21AM

Posted by Svartorm

You can do a 12x12 area for just over $100. They're not great, but they're very durable, and don't move around at all. I've trained on these things in a garage with a concrete floor and haven't been hurt, even when getting slammed or hiptossed on the things.

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely look into those.
ordean
3/7/07 5:55:39PM
you can find some underlay mats ( basically used crappy wrestling mats) then give them a good cleaning and duct tape the cracks. Usually runs about a buck a square foot and is much more padding than the cheap puzzle mats. Do a google search to find out more. I ordered some a while back but have no idea what the name of the site was.
argile
3/7/07 8:38:54PM
At Home Depot they have these small 2x2 mats that connect if you don't want them to get driven over in your garage or stepped on when not in use they fit good in closets. They connect together like a puzzle so if one gets messed up you can replace it, or if you want a bigger space you can buy more without replacing the whole thing.

Oh those are pretty much the same mats Svartorm mentioned btw there good mats and they do last a long time just make sure you dont force the puzzle to lock or it could get deformed.

Good luck.
bayonetxwork
3/8/07 3:22:09PM
Alright thanks Arg, and Ordean.

Ordean, j/w how much did you pay for the used mats you got? I'm doing a google search now, and was just curious about the price range.
Hogzilla
3/9/07 10:42:00AM
Man they got some pretty decent mats at Kmart too. All you need is a common workout mat, you dont have to spend alot to get alot in mats
Hogzilla
3/9/07 10:43:46AM

Posted by argile

At Home Depot they have these small 2x2 mats that connect if you don't want them to get driven over in your garage or stepped on when not in use they fit good in closets. They connect together like a puzzle so if one gets messed up you can replace it, or if you want a bigger space you can buy more without replacing the whole thing.

Oh those are pretty much the same mats Svartorm mentioned btw there good mats and they do last a long time just make sure you dont force the puzzle to lock or it could get deformed.

Good luck.

These mats may be a little bit hard for working out, I know the ones your reffering too, but there isnt much cushion to em. Kinda hard rubber.
Svartorm
3/10/07 3:44:19AM
You want firm mats for grappling so you can get traction and so you don't get hung up on the things while rolling.
bayonetxwork
3/12/07 8:13:07PM

Posted by argile

Good luck.

I've heard mixed reviews about the ones I've posted so I opted out of dropping 250 into them, so now I'm just going for the cheapest price haha. What department could I find these in?
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:25:48AM
hell my gym dosnt even have mats, i have living in the sticks
Rush
3/24/07 11:01:49AM

Posted by Svartorm

I've trained on these and kept stubbing my toes on the seams. You'll need a lot of duct tape and they should be ok. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend them. Expect a lot of skin to be lost on them too.

I lucked out and got some tatami from my local gym. They were upgrading their mats and I know the athletics coordinator, so I asked I could have their old mats. She said, no problem. I only took 4 mats (they are about 6 x 3 feet) and it took a day or two to clean them up, but they are still well above most new mats and they were free too boot.

They only problem is that I live in a 1 bedroom apt and have nowhere to set them up.
Kryptonite
4/16/07 2:57:34PM
hey,
I'm also a wrestler, and I was wondering if mats like these could be used at my house to practice wrestling moves on

mats
richieb19
4/16/07 3:03:16PM
I might be getting some mats from my Judo club to bring home during the short summer break... yay me!