Martin Kampmann Looking for a Fight With Dan Hardy at UFC 120

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Martin Kampmann Looking for a Fight With Dan Hardy at UFC 120
lohmann
6/14/10 6:41:13PM
"I'd love to fight Dan Hardy," Kampmann (17-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) said. "I think that would make a great fight. I heard he doesn't have an opponent right now, so that could be a great opportunity."

link
kevietre
6/14/10 6:44:33PM
Kampmann looked good against Thiago and I think the Dan Hardy fight would be his fight. Hardy is difficult to submitt but I think Kampmann can grind him out for 3 rounds with his wrestling.
zxandu
6/14/10 7:04:38PM

Posted by lohmann

"I'd love to fight Dan Hardy," Kampmann (17-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) said. "I think that would make a great fight. I heard he doesn't have an opponent right now, so that could be a great opportunity."

link

If anyone helped his stock more than anybody, it was Kampmann, he looked awesome against Paulo, and I think this fight would be AWESOME, like a Bostonian, throw in a WICKED before the awesome!!!!!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/14/10 7:04:44PM
I'm all for this fight, I would love to see Kampmann and Hardy go to war. The stand up would be great but Hardy would get worked over on the ground, unfortunately.
kopower
6/14/10 7:18:39PM
I think Hardy would be ok on the ground. If GSP couldn't sub him for 5 rounds, I don't think Kampmann would. Plus, I'm sure Hardy has been working on his wrestling, so it would be interesting to see how improved his takedown defense is. Kampmann does like to bang a bit on the feet, which wouldn't be the best idea against someone like Hardy. Great fight, hope it happens
bjj1605
6/14/10 8:11:37PM
Hardy would get dominated anywhere this fight went.

He's on his way out of the UFC or at least to the bottom of the heap. I never understood any of the hype behind that guy.
GSPCanada
6/14/10 8:54:32PM
hardy is a pretty young guy. there really was no hype, ppl just thought he was a tough matchup for gsp. its early, and i mean its nowhere near official but I dont know how it would go, kampman has always showed good takedown d submissions/ground game and good stand up, but the daley fight showed he has a weakness in his wrestling, hardy showed some lousy takedown d against gsp tho, so who knows, I think hardy would win the standup portion i just dont know if kampman will b able to take him down. hardy's camp spent time looking at kampman and training for him for when daley was fighting kampman.

im just saying it's a really close fight on paper
hate4thestate
6/14/10 8:57:37PM
i think kampman takes this one standing. hes much more of a technical striker then hardy. kampman must have took something from the hardy loss. he looked like he really stepped his game up in the thiago fight. i got kampman all day if this goes down.
noahgenda
6/14/10 9:02:16PM
i think the daley fight showed a bigger problem with his game planning and/or ability to stick to a game plan than his wrestling.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/14/10 9:05:23PM

Posted by hate4thestate

i think kampman takes this one standing. hes much more of a technical striker then hardy. kampman must have took something from the hardy loss. he looked like he really stepped his game up in the thiago fight. i got kampman all day if this goes down.

I think you meant the Daley loss.
prozacnation1978
6/14/10 9:06:19PM
Looks like the kammpman bandwagon started. All aboard
Good fight better not be main event. Hardy takes this
BlueSkiesBurn
6/14/10 9:11:53PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

What is it with you and bandwagons? If we say someone is going to lose a fight, we've jumped off the bandwagon, if we say they are going to win the fight, you put us on the bandwagon. The purpose of this site is to discuss MMA. Just because I think Kampmann would win this fight does not mean me, or anyone else, has jumped on a bandwagon. We're just answering the topic.
lohmann
6/14/10 10:01:41PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

What is it with you and bandwagons? If we say someone is going to lose a fight, we've jumped off the bandwagon, if we say they are going to win the fight, you put us on the bandwagon. The purpose of this site is to discuss MMA. Just because I think Kampmann would win this fight does not mean me, or anyone else, has jumped on a bandwagon. We're just answering the topic.

For Kampmann, I actually think it is a bandwagon effect. After the Daley loss, people dismissed him out of the top ten quickly, and he was a pretty heavy underdog against Paulo Thiago Saturday. Dan Hardy is a very good welterweight, and people pushing him under the Kampmann bus is a bit shortsighted.

I think Hardy wins. Hardy demonstrated good defensive clinchwork against Swick, and while Kampmann demonstrated some improved grappling Saturday, I don't think he showed that he has takedowns that are going to put Dan Hardy on his back.

Kampmann is a good welterweight, and he definitely has a chance, but Dan Hardy isn't some can he's going to run over.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/14/10 10:24:34PM
Well, for me, personally, it's not a bandwagon effect. I am not buying in to the Kampmann kool-aid yet. He looked very good against Thiago and I think he's got very technical striking which is something I feel is a slight edge in a potential fight with Hardy. Should he be able to get Hardy on the ground, I don't think he will be able to submit him but, he could work his ground game enough to score a UD. It's obviously one of those fights where, if Kampmann continues to improve on the ground, I could see it going his way. That being said, Hardy probably hit the mats and SERIOUSLY worked on his wrestling after the GSP fight. Right now, I'd have Kampmann taking this fight because Hardy looked ineffective on the ground (other than being damn near impossible to submit), while Kampmann looked very good against an accomplished grappler in Thiago. Depending on training camps, this could change. As of right now, however, I have Kampmann via UD.
jae_1833
6/14/10 11:22:48PM
You lose a big fight and your ranking with me will suffer, if you win it will prosper...so naturally he is going to have an up/down affect on everything except "my favs" list. I think Kampmanns stand up techniques are more technical, more diversed, and just as powerful as Hardy. Hardy getting taken down at will by GSP is a mute point IMO because....it was GSP! The guy has like an 80% success rate for takedowns in MMA!! I don't think Kampmann's chin can be considered questionable yet either because his TKO losses are to Daley Marquardt and Semenov....all outstanding KO artists. I alson don't see Martin subing Hardy as he hasn't been subbed for years and his defense against subs was highlighted in his last fight. I see this going to decision, and being awesome the whole time. Slight edge Martin IMO.
bjj1605
6/15/10 2:23:05AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

For Kampmann, I actually think it is a bandwagon effect. After the Daley loss, people dismissed him out of the top ten quickly, and he was a pretty heavy underdog against Paulo Thiago Saturday. Dan Hardy is a very good welterweight, and people pushing him under the Kampmann bus is a bit shortsighted.

I think Hardy wins. Hardy demonstrated good defensive clinchwork against Swick, and while Kampmann demonstrated some improved grappling Saturday, I don't think he showed that he has takedowns that are going to put Dan Hardy on his back.

Kampmann is a good welterweight, and he definitely has a chance, but Dan Hardy isn't some can he's going to run over.

For me it's less that I'm on the Kampmann bandwagon and more that I'm so-so-so far a way from the Hardy bandwagon.

I've never been impressed by Dan Hardy in any of his fights except maybe the Swick fight, which still wasn't worthy of a title shot.

I think he has average striking with good power. Less than average physical capabilities. Average takedown defense and a poor ground game.

At the end of the day he's just a tough kid with a lot of heart. I don't hate him and I don't fault him for his position, good for him. But he didn't deserve a title shot and he doesn't deserve his ranking. I think this fight will show that heart doesn't make you an MMA Elite.
Jackelope
6/15/10 2:38:39AM
What Hardy possesses that has allowed him to do well with his striking is confidence in the pocket. Sometimes I call it "gangster striking" but most call it "good striking". What it really translates into is being able to commit to a combination in the pocket and having faith in your chin/defensive abilities. He's got fairly heavy hands, decently quick combinations, and fearlessness that gives him a natural one-up on his opponents.

Kampmann is lacking a little bit in the "gangster striking" department. But his outside combinations are good and his first step seems to be getting better. I believe he'll have a quicker first step than Dan Hardy and therefore will land some good jabs and maybe some good kicks. If he gets stuck in a tight space with no room to move where Hardy can land those "gangster striking" combinations Kampmann could be in trouble.

Kampmann has shown in the past that he likes to reach in and go for a takedown when he gets rocked instead of using lateral movement to get out of the situation. That was something I really wanted to see if he'd fixed and thought I would see against Paulo Thiago. Hopefully Hardy can show us whether Kampmann has fixed that or not.

RhythmAndStyle
6/15/10 10:48:28AM
i would have to take Hardy on this match..i do like Kampmann..but with Kampmann, he'll take the chance of standin with you if he thinks he can strikin with u..but he'll find out that's a bad thing to do with Hardy..since Hardy very good at counter-strikin..as Davis and Swick learned..and Kampmann likes to learn the hard way..Hardy way under-rated..he'll win via UD...
and not to forget he's got good TD defense..GSP don't count..
cowcatcher
6/15/10 10:51:37AM
kampmann has been KO'd and that starts to get the doubts about him rolling, but he has had some great performances and has beaten some good fighters. im not sure who i would take in this one, but i think martin has more ways to win and that counts for something. this fight makes sense right now IMO, so im hoping they put it together, it should be a good scrap.
icantthinkofanything
6/15/10 12:20:43PM
This is a great fight for Hardy, for reason 1) it will be an exciting matchup 2) Hardy wanted a standup war, but didnt get it with GSP 3) Hardy beat Swick, and Kampman was the original opponent for Swick.
I think to find out if Hardy's takedown defense improved since being outclassed by GSP, the opponent for Hardy would need to be Fitch, Kos, Don Yun Kim. Rumble would make a good opponent for Hardy also imo-big guy striker, who also wrestles.
I am annoyed by making Hardy wait so long to fight again. Matt Serra would be a good matchup for Hardy as well in the standup area, and has great bjj as a backup.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/15/10 5:03:07PM
You had me up until Serra.
BustedKnuckle
6/15/10 5:58:51PM
I like the match-up! But if Kampman couldn't get Daley down to sub him, I doubt he will against Hardy? So in a stand up fight, it would be a toss up. Hardy has the power, Martin has the speed and accuracy. I hope this fight develops. Could launch Kampman back into title contention if he wins.