Marquardt vs. Franklin?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Marquardt vs. Franklin?
JWils
2/7/08 5:01:39PM
Watched UFC 81 again last night and was really impressed with Marquardt.

He dismantled Horn. I was shocked how he just ran right through him. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again. With Franklin fighting soon, and assuming he wins (which is not a given), I hope the UFC sets up Franklin vs. Marquardt around UFC 86 or 87.

I think that would be an awesome fight. Anybody else want to see this fight? Who do you think would win?

This scenario probably depends on the outcome of the Silva/Henderson fight. If Henderson wins, they might give Franklin at shot at the title if he beats Lutter.

Anyway, just a thought. Anybody have any other ideas on who Marquardt might face next? Bisping maybe if he wins his MW debut?
Rush
2/7/08 5:16:51PM
I mentioned this in another thread and think this should be the next fight for both fighters.

With the way the MW division is right now, there aren't a lot of guys for Nate or Rich to fight right now. The Top 5 at MW is almost getting a bit incestuous.
cowcatcher
2/7/08 5:20:26PM
marquardt looked in good of shape as ive seen for the horn fight, and he is a tough guy, but i think franklin is a half a step ahead of the pack that follows hendo and silva, so i dont see him losing to nate.
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 6:49:54PM
franklin, he looked better against silva, thats my 2 cent MMAth
Rush
2/7/08 7:19:00PM
I don't know, Silva made both guys look like amateurs to me.
nickcuc547
2/7/08 8:02:41PM
that would be a great fight, besides silva and hendo (who are leaps and bounds ahead of every middle weight) franklin and marquart are probably the next best two. this would be a war, i think nate grinds out a ud with ground control.
MMAFightClothes
2/7/08 8:27:19PM
I think Franklin wins this fight, but I was impressed with Nates game against Horn. Great matchup!
Boo_Radley21
2/7/08 8:51:02PM
I'd have to give this one to Rich. It would be a hell of a fight though.
whardin19
2/7/08 10:16:39PM
Man this would be a great fight! I like both guys alot and I don't think I could route for one or the other. Although if I had to pick a winner I'd go with Franklin. The one thing I will say is he is not going to beat Anderson Silva ever. The guys got mental demons in his head from that nasty broken nose Silva gave him in the first fight. I don't think he'll ever get over it.
kevietre
2/7/08 11:07:12PM
This fight is inevitable but the problem with it is Silva beat both of them already so who would the winner face considering Marquardt and Franklin are number 2 and 3 middleweights.

jomatty
2/8/08 7:50:36AM
that would be a great fight to determine who faces hendo if dan can beat anderson...that is a big if but certainly within the realm of possibility. franklin would have a very real chance of beating dan imo, although dan is a super tough fight for anyone in the world at 205 and below.

it is kinda an interesting scenario to consider. marquadt could give franklin problems and that fight would be very competitive but i think franklin would win it. franklin matches up pretty well with dan imo, and that fight could go either way, but i think marquadt would have a very tough time with dan. marquadt matches up much better with silva and despite his loss could still potentially make a competitive fight out of it and maybe even pull off the upset.

so basically i think rich can potentially beat dan but marquadt probably cant. i think marquadt can possibly beat silva, but i dont think rich can (although i dont think his chances are as poor as most do even after being decimated twice). so if dan wins the fight id like franklin to win and if silva wins id like marquadt to win. any of these guys are leaps and bounds ahead of the other ufc mw's in my book.

this scenario really illustrates the way that styles make fights and why mmmath doesnt work. people sell out franklin because of his losses to silva but he is still a top tier champion who could potentially be champ again if anderson loses the belt (and as good as he is, he eventually will be beat).
Pookie
2/8/08 7:58:37AM

Posted by jomatty

that would be a great fight to determine who faces hendo if dan can beat anderson...that is a big if but certainly within the realm of possibility. franklin would have a very real chance of beating dan imo, although dan is a super tough fight for anyone in the world at 205 and below.

it is kinda an interesting scenario to consider. marquadt could give franklin problems and that fight would be very competitive but i think franklin would win it. franklin matches up pretty well with dan imo, and that fight could go either way, but i think marquadt would have a very tough time with dan. marquadt matches up much better with silva and despite his loss could still potentially make a competitive fight out of it and maybe even pull off the upset.

so basically i think rich can potentially beat dan but marquadt probably cant. i think marquadt can possibly beat silva, but i dont think rich can (although i dont think his chances are as poor as most do even after being decimated twice). so if dan wins the fight id like franklin to win and if silva wins id like marquadt to win. any of these guys are leaps and bounds ahead of the other ufc mw's in my book.

this scenario really illustrates the way that styles make fights and why mmmath doesnt work. people sell out franklin because of his losses to silva but he is still a top tier champion who could potentially be champ again if anderson loses the belt (and as good as he is, he eventually will be beat).

i dont know man, i see hendo bullying rich around with his superman chin and fiendish right cross
gartface
2/8/08 8:37:42AM
This fight would be sick.
atlas777
2/8/08 10:13:22AM
This would be a great fight i would love to see both are great at 185 the only thing is if Franklin wins what is he going to do next its not like they can just keeps gioving him matches with Anderson Silva what is he going to do if he can beat everyone except Silva and HEndo loses to Silva too he will be stuck.
npayant
2/8/08 11:08:27AM
This is the fight I REALLY want to see. I honestly think Nate has past Rich recently.... I would pick Marquardt by UD, but really wouldn't be surprised if he could finish it in the 2nd or 3rd.
fullerene
2/8/08 11:42:58AM
I still consider Franklin to be the #3 MW in the world until he either loses to someone other than Silva (or Henderson) or somebody beats Silva (or Henderson at MW). I'll take Franklin by late KO over Marquardt.
KYGUY07
2/8/08 1:22:06PM
I think that if this fight stayed on the feet Franklin would proboably win, but if it hit the ground, I see marquardt finishing him.