Marquardt: "Carwin will KO Brock in under 2 minutes"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marquardt: "Carwin will KO Brock in under 2 minutes"
ThaAxeMurderer7
10/8/09 12:22:18AM
Middleweight contender Nate Marquardt is backing his teammate Shane Carwin to beat Brock Lesnar by knockout in under two minutes.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished him in under two minutes,” Marquardt told Fighters Only recently. “The more I analyse the fight, I think its such a good fight for Shane. He is better on his feet, he is better on the ground, he hits harder.

Link
Nightmare27
10/8/09 1:24:57AM
Bold statement. I have to admit, I'd love to see it happen.
PABLOMAFIOSO
10/8/09 2:39:49AM
This fight is not going to last long either way. Looking forward to it!
jae_1833
10/8/09 2:44:38AM
If he doesnt he better know how to get up because he is getting taken down....and beaten.
jgtribbett
10/8/09 8:05:41AM
i concur, carwin is going down with my bad spelling
Jackelope
10/8/09 9:25:50AM
How can the author possibly put quotation marks around "Carwin will KO Brock in under 2 minutes" when it was clearly never said. As far as I can tell while reading the article Marquardt said - “I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished him in under two minutes,” Clearly they are not the same. I wouldn't want to be misquoted on a headline like that if it were me the author was quoting.

kopower
10/8/09 10:41:58AM
Good call Jackelope

I also don't see this fight going into the later rounds. I really like Carwin's chances here. I still think Brock holds the wrestling advantage though. The longer the fight stays on the feet gives Carwin his chance to ko Lesnar.
bigpetey22
10/8/09 11:49:26AM
I bet none of you are willing to bet money on Carwin!!!!!
sbulldavid
10/8/09 12:05:47PM
I could see how it could happen , but I don't think Carwin has been tested yet , I hate Brock but he's been beating beater competition , Gonzaga rocked Carwin and I think he'll have trouble with Brocks freakish reach . I think Brock wins by TKO first round .
Rush
10/8/09 12:07:19PM

Posted by Jackelope

How can the author possibly put quotation marks around "Carwin will KO Brock in under 2 minutes" when it was clearly never said. As far as I can tell while reading the article Marquardt said - “I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished him in under two minutes,” Clearly they are not the same. I wouldn't want to be misquoted on a headline like that if it were me the author was quoting.

I was just about to post this. It seems to be a trend in the blogosphere these days.
Menard_StC
10/8/09 12:11:36PM

Posted by jae_1833

If he doesnt he better know how to get up because he is getting taken down....and beaten.

Very possible. Brock is a big, very strong wrestler... but I just wanted to point out that while he has easily taken down Mir and Herring, who are TERRIBLE wrestlers... the much smaller Randy Couture was able to control Brock against the cage in thier fight, and if you watch the second round, Couture stuffs one of Brock's shots easily.

It seriously looks like Bisping's TD attempt on Henderson... not even close
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/8/09 1:01:05PM
i hope so, but doubt it
teddythetuna
10/8/09 1:02:37PM
Carwin is dangerous even when he is rocked (just ask Gonzaga) so Lesnar has to be very careful in this fight. I think Brock has better wrestling and is more athletic but when both guys are throwing lunch boxes for fists its either mans fight. Someone by first rnd ko/tko
KaibaThedon
10/8/09 2:02:43PM

Posted by bigpetey22

Hes like more than a 3 to 1 dog at this point, I think its an okay idea considering people were betting on Thiago Alves to beat GSP and Griffin to beat Anderson Silva
Pskinner_mma314
10/8/09 3:42:47PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

Posted by bigpetey22

Hes like more than a 3 to 1 dog at this point, I think its an okay idea considering people were betting on Thiago Alves to beat GSP and Griffin to beat Anderson Silva

actually i would be willing to put money on carwin. those are not exactly good examples being as i dont think there is any way either shane or brock is gonna dominate so one sided.
-alves cant stop a gsp takedown
-griffin has a glass jaw

reasons to pick carwin, or at least have a little faith
-not too much of a size difference
-one of the the few who could, that being the keyword, stuff brocks takedown
-i dont care if lesnars knocked down all his opponents, its still sloppy as ****, carwins standup is much better

thats just a few, i've said the only person who is gonna beat lesnar is someone with good td defense and power striking, i would say submissions would be on the top of that list, but we all saw how much sand he got in his vag when he lost like that.
Rush
10/8/09 4:35:38PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

actually i would be willing to put money on carwin. those are not exactly good examples being as i dont think there is any way either shane or brock is gonna dominate so one sided.
-griffin has a glass jaw

Umm, how did you reach these conclusions (prior to their last fights)?

Griffin had been knocked out prior, but he also withstood a lot of punishment in other fights. I don't see how that made it obvious he had a glass jaw

GSP and Alves never fought before. Alves was able to stuff both Kosheck and Hughes, two very decorated wrestlers. I don't see how any of that suggested Alves was prone to GSP's takedowns. On the contrary.

The simplest way I can support why putting money on Carwin would be worth is is this.

The odds are likely worth a bet where Carwin has a higher probability of a puncher's chance (compared to other fighters) against a guy that is not experienced in the stand up game.
Pskinner_mma314
10/8/09 4:50:58PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

-griffin has a glass jaw

Umm, how did you reach these conclusions (prior to their last fights)?

Griffin had been knocked out prior, but he also withstood a lot of punishment in other fights. I don't see how that made it obvious he had a glass jaw

GSP and Alves never fought before. Alves was able to stuff both Kosheck and Hughes, two very decorated wrestlers. I don't see how any of that suggested Alves was prone to GSP's takedowns. On the contrary.

The simplest way I can support why putting money on Carwin would be worth is is this.

The odds are likely worth a bet where Carwin has a higher probability of a puncher's chance (compared to other fighters) against a guy that is not experienced in the stand up game.

touche sir touche

ok i wasnt bein specific, but no matter, who can stop a gsp takedown?
i was just tryin a obviously failed attempt to prove that anyone can be beat, and just because they are the champ does not mean they are ****** invincible, which seems to be the conclusion of many.

saying that there is no way one man can beat another is just bs, and that was the conclusion i got out of the poster i was replying to
CwB
10/8/09 6:20:15PM

Posted by bigpetey22

Then you sir are a horrible gambler...

when betting on fights. you dont bet on who you think will win you play the odds
and if carwin is an underdog in a fight that i see as almost 50/50. You would have to be an idiot to put your money anywhere else then on the underdog. This also goes both ways, if brock was the underdog you have to be an idiot not to put money on brock.

ps i am talking about real money as i live in vegas. Not playground money where i tend to bet on the people i want to win because it is play money and there are no idiots when gambling with play money...
IriShame
10/8/09 10:04:05PM
I think Carwin is a solid bet at the odds they're giving now. When this fight was announced it was much closer but the money came pouring in on Lesnar and now it's almost ridiculous.

I think this fight is a tossup. I agree that Carwin has superior technical standup and he might even have the wrestling chops to keep the fight standing (I also think Brocks wrestling is slightly overrated because he's so big, his technique isn't that phenomenal). I also agree however that Carwin is going to have trouble with Brocks freakish reach. I definetly think this one ends quick with a KO or TKO in the first.

Who ends up on their back though is anybodys guess.