Marlon Byrd positive for PEDs, gets 50-game ban

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Marlon Byrd positive for PEDs, gets 50-game ban
prophecy033
6/26/12 1:24:34AM
Outfielder Marlon Byrd, who admitted to working with the man whose center triggered a federal investigation of steroids use and distribution among athletes, has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The league announced on Monday that the free agent has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for Tamoxifen. He will be put on the restricted list and will remain there until Aug. 20.

Tamoxifen -- its brand name in the United States is Nolvadex -- is a medicine that blocks the effects of the estrogen hormone in the body. It is used to treat breast cancer in women or men and is used by steroid users to prevent the growth of breast tissues in men and to stop post-cycle crashes.

Byrd issued a statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association Monday.

"I made an inexcusable mistake," the statement said. "Several years ago, I had surgery for a condition that was private and unrelated to baseball. Last winter, I suffered a recurrence of that condition and I was provided with a medication that resulted in my positive test. Although that medication is on the banned list, I absolutely did not use it for performance-enhancement reasons."

“I am mortified by my carelessness and I apologize to everyone who loves this game as I do. I will serve my suspension, continue to work hard and hope that I am given an opportunity to help a club win later this season."
” -- Marlon Byrd on positive test

Link
FastKnockout
6/26/12 2:22:25AM
Giving Byrd's a bad name!
prophecy033
6/26/12 2:44:06AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Giving Byrd's a bad name!

Twenty20Dollars
6/26/12 2:49:56AM
I think I saw on twitter when it broke than it wasn't so much a PED, than a substance on the banned substance list.

I was wondering if he could start serving now or had to wait til he signed with a team, but I guess it's different from Manny b/c he was retired.

Still, these guys should know better than to use stuff on the banned substance list. I'm sure the list isn't secret, so you can't know what's on it.
Adrenaline
6/26/12 3:53:51AM

Posted by prophecy033

used by steroid users to prevent the growth of breast tissues in men

As if there isn't enough reasons to not abuse steroids, the risk of "bitch tits" "moobs" and "he-hooters" certainly should be enough to deter most people with common sense.