UFC marketing on Okami v. Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC marketing on Okami v. Silva
POLL: Will this headline UFC87?
Probably 46% (34)
Definitely 9% (7)
NOT 22% (16)
I hope so 23% (17)
babytater03
3/4/08 5:18:52PM
For what it's worth:

Link

Has the UFC marketing already begun for Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami rematch?
juanez13
3/4/08 5:28:26PM
i dont think it will headline UFC 87, if it happens at that event, reason is that UFC 87 is in august, and it has been made official that lesnar will fight coleman at that event, so i think most certantly that fight will headline the event, HoF'er against pro-wresterler, pretty easy to market it it. and even if brock is made the co-main event, you know people will watch because of that fight, and not so much because of okami/silva.
nickcuc547
3/4/08 5:56:26PM
good, yushin definitely deserves his shot.
seanfu
3/4/08 7:31:32PM
I don't know if the company will do something like that simply on the fact that Okami has a weak style in terms of excitement level. If the UFC has faith that Andersons style can generate the kind of interest needed then maybe.

it, by all means, should be the main event, and if there is a co -title fight I think it would still be the headliner. Silva is too big of a star.

Okami is a big risk to the title because I believe Silva is content with himself in the middleweight division even though he already lost to Okami. Okami has a decent chance of winning, and I believe, a lot of heart.

EDIT: keep in mind I even though Lesnar is a big draw title fights are ALWAYS the main event.
wapttn
3/4/08 8:15:12PM
the general audience will watch any silva title fight. The guy is too impressive not to watch
Lethal
3/4/08 8:55:42PM
I've posted a long time ago, but I still think that it's messed up that a fighter's ranking and earning of a title shot is measured by his level of excitement that he brings to a fight. Okami definitely deserves a shot, not only because there are few fighters left in the division that Anderson hasn't already torn apart, but because Okami has been successful in his last few fights, even with his loss to Rich Franklin. Yes, it's great to see exciting fights and everyone would rather see a show, but not all fighters fight that exciting style. Excitement does not equal skill.

Also, I hate to see title fights in the undercard. Brock Lesnar and Mark Coleman will draw a lot of people but neither of them are champions and neither of them are even contenders yet. I think it's a slap in the face when you have to be an undercard and you've proven to be the best in your division (any champion for that matter).

CantAndleDaRiddum
3/4/08 8:56:32PM

Posted by wapttn

the general audience will watch any silva title fight. The guy is too impressive not to watch

agreed
but i say not bc im figuring there will be a HW championship that night w/ coleman/lesnar co main event.......since yushin isnt as well known as other contenders, maybe they will do a double chamionship main event
SpiderSilva
3/4/08 9:08:51PM
Okami is boring but Silva will make it exciting by blasting with punches kick and knees Okami might be the first to take Silva to round 3 in the end this will be the last test till the UFC gives in to Linland
Ordep
3/4/08 10:01:51PM

We all love Silva, but IMO I would like to see him again later, maybe 89 or something. He's currently the most dominant champ already while all the others, well you know whats going on.... I think he deserves some rest. This is just my opinion, I would enjoy watching him fight every weekend and also know that he wants to fight every time he can.
quezocrema0032
3/4/08 10:03:59PM
i think this could sell ... yea okami isnt known but the avergae fan hears these wprds
"SILVA RETURNS TO THE OCTAGON AS THE TOP POUND FOR POUND FIGHTER IN THE WORLD TO AVENGE HIS LAST LOSS HIS OPPENT THE BIG STRONG JAPENESE STAR YUSHIN OKAMI !!!!!!!!!!" i know spellings off plus if people arent intrested enough lesner vs colemen will pick up the slack
ufcboss
3/5/08 12:12:45AM
Okami has a good chance to hang with Anderson, I so hope this happens.
And I want to defend Okami a bit here, Was he boring at 82, NO WAY, He nearly finished Rich Franklin too, Which not too many guys even get that far.

I am sick of the term, Boring fighter, Its getting a bit old.
I say if people dont like boring fighters, They should fight them and show them how its done.

Silva TKO Lucky round 2. But again, Okami will give him as big of a challenge as anyone else.
NatedawgThaM
3/5/08 1:36:06AM

Posted by Ordep

We all love Silva, but IMO I would like to see him again later, maybe 89 or something. He's currently the most dominant champ already while all the others, well you know whats going on.... I think he deserves some rest. This is just my opinion, I would enjoy watching him fight every weekend and also know that he wants to fight every time he can.

I think August or September is plenty of time IMO. I mean you still have the rest of March, April and even May to rest. Then you can hit the gym in late May or June and train up until August. BUt this event would definitely sell since Okami beat him before and Anderson Silva is the most exciting fighter in the UFC.
nastshabast
3/5/08 2:35:30AM
Hahahahahahahaha Tee Ball
Focker101
3/5/08 7:33:09AM
Really there is no other fight for Silva right now Okami and a name no one is using Cote thats it..
then Marquart 2, and Franklin 3,

I think Okami can make it interesting, at this point If Okami can neutralize Silva like these other fighters even if for a couple rounds I will interested in seeing how he does it..

Standing and trading shots with Silva is only gonna make your loss that more inevitable, you need to put something in his face and get him to the mat and you have to be in top position like Lutter did.. but you cant be worn down from a poor weight cut a fighter with a better BJJ game than Silva is the only remote chance to beat this guy or some solid GnP

I wonder it TIto could make middleweight again ?? great GnP and great at blocking alot of shots with his arms
Twenty20Dollars
3/5/08 8:52:34AM
They needs to make this fight the co-main event to Rampage vs forrest at UFC 86. a double title fight. or move this fight up to june with chuck on the card pending Okami has time to recover if he does have a broken hand.
whardin19
3/5/08 3:12:00PM
I could see this being a Main Event fight for 87. I'm starting to be really impressed with Yushin Okami. The only loss he has in the UFC is to Rich Franklin, and he could have won that fight. We all know as well that Anderson Silva is a Main Event draw no matter who he fights now. Who doesn't want to see Silva fight now? Put the Lesnar fight on this card as well and you got the makings of a great card starting up.
jrmmaclassics
3/5/08 7:32:47PM
this is the only fight i see happening at this point unless Silva jumps weightclass.