There Is No Marketing for Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » There Is No Marketing for Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock
MMAcca
9/4/08 2:51:11PM
John Chandler wonders why:

EliteXC’s debut show on CBS was much better off from the start. Why? Because they actually marketed the event. Advertisements for the show started during March Madness, more than two months before the event was even happening. Yet here we are one month away from Slice’s biggest test to date and the only spots promoting the event can be found online.

Even if CBS were to start airing commercials tomorrow, EliteXC still has obstacles to overcome. It’s 30 days before the event and the fight card isn’t even finalized. That’s expectant of smaller organizations with heavy turnover rates, not a major promotion that is about to put together a show for the entire world to see.

Bringing Kimbo Slice back to his home state of Florida was a good move. The arena should easily sell out then, right? I mean the crowd for Slice vs. Tank Abbott in February was up on their feet for just about the entire night.

Not necessarily. All signs currently indicate that a large number of tickets are still available for the event. Plus, EliteXC officials expecting a late push should also take note that the University of Miami plays Florida State at Dolphins Stadium that same night. (Thanks Zach)

According to EliteXC’s recent SEC filings, the organization only has enough funds to last until the end of the year without outside help. So why aren’t they going balls to the wall in trying to make this show their most successful to date? A lack of money? A lack of motivation? It’s hard to say.

Before I even started writing this, I asked myself, why it is that every time that write a piece on EliteXC, it turns out to be negative? I pinpointed it to failed potential.

LINK
Aether
9/4/08 2:53:32PM
Maybe they're just resigned to the fact that they're going to tank no matter what they do, so they don't want to spend advertising dollars just to boost CBS' ratings on their way out.
balack_o-bama
9/4/08 2:54:16PM
Its hard to market something that isnt even a fight. Kimbo is gonna KO shammy in the first round.
Bumpy
9/4/08 2:58:08PM
I see kimbo KO shamrock.
PaleHorse
9/4/08 4:07:56PM

Posted by Bumpy

I see kimbo KO shamrock.

I see a stadium half filled with people who have portable tvs watching the football game (because THOSE tickets were sold out) and Shamrock via submission.
bls1919
9/4/08 10:14:28PM
Cant believe EXC didnt hop on the drama machine that was/is Kimbo vs. Brett Rodgers. I think this fight is much more marketable. Kimbo/Shammy will be an easy win either way. KO for Kimbo or a Sub for Shammy. Just more signs EXC is on the outs .....IMO
breakdown5
9/4/08 11:57:27PM

Posted by bls1919

Cant believe EXC didnt hop on the drama machine that was/is Kimbo vs. Brett Rodgers. I think this fight is much more marketable. Kimbo/Shammy will be an easy win either way. KO for Kimbo or a Sub for Shammy. Just more signs EXC is on the outs .....IMO

I agree. The people making decisions over at Elite are clueless. I think they are obviously protecting Kimbo. Shamrock would've destroyed Kimbo in his prime, but Shamrock just got KO'd to Buzz Berry. I mean common. Buzz Berry. Need I say more.
WrestlersAssassin
9/5/08 12:38:55AM

Posted by bls1919

Exactly, because win or lose Kimbo is still just an untested name, and people only care if hyped fighters fight good fighters with good undercards.