In the market for an LCD HDTV

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » In the market for an LCD HDTV
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:34:52PM
Yo all.

I'm thinking of finally buying a 42-46" 1080p LCD TV. The only problem is, I'm wondering if I should wait until after Christmas. I'm not much of a shopper so I don't know how all the sales go, but are the chances good that I would be able to find a better deal after the holiday season? I figure a lot of stores might overstock this year (thanks to the crappy economy and only a few people spending a lot) and that maybe this could lead to good deals in the January-February time frame.

Does anybody have any experience in this arena? Perhaps some Best Buy workers or something? Right now Costco is doing a deal on a 46" Sharp 1080p LCD for 799.99, and it seems like a damn good deal so I'd hate to miss out on that opportunity by waiting.

Props for any good info you can provide! (if they're available)
aaa9erh8er
11/14/08 1:38:34PM
first of all good call on the lcd not plasma you dont want to get image burn second. i used to work retail at a mall and the best time to get anything on sale is the day after thanksgiving. anothe tip just from personal exp. there is a hdmi cord that you can hook from your tv to your computer and its realy awsome to watch movies and shit. as far as brands go part of my job was returns and visio is hit or miss id go with a pannasonic or sony.
hope it helps at all if not then your wat to picky lol
iwannabesedated
11/14/08 1:40:06PM
I got a Vizio LCD 1080i.

It guess it depends a good bit on if you use it for video games or just tv..For games i really dont see much of a difference between 1080i and 1080p on games anyways.

A few of my buddies have vizio's as well then reasonably priced look just as good or better than some other ones.

I'd reccomend any Vizio,Sharp,Samsung,or Sony.

For the price Vizio would probably be your cheapest and good quality.
I got mine at sams club but they also retail and wal-mart,costco and im sure some other.

But either way tv shopping is pretty badass.

I've had mine for over 2 years..no trouble and still looks great.
emfleek
11/14/08 1:41:07PM
Wal-Mart here in Fort Wayne currently has a 42" Vizio 1080p LCD for $849. I'm assuming it's a company-wide sale?
iwannabesedated
11/14/08 1:42:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Wal-Mart here in Fort Wayne currently has a 42" Vizio 1080p LCD for $849. I'm assuming it's a company-wide sale?

There you go.
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:44:38PM
Thanks guys. Sorry 40... gotta spread the love.

From what I've gathered around the market (been looking for a while now) it seems like Sony is your best then followed by Samsung, Sharp, LG and then finally the Vizios.

I really like the look of the Samsungs, but this deal is on a Sharp which doesn't look too terrible, either.

What is the difference between a 1080i and a 1080p? I know supposedly a 1080p is better, but I don't really understand the difference I guess. Is it refresh rate, or what?
grappler0000
11/14/08 1:45:27PM
The burn in on Plasmas is nearly as much of an issue as it was a couple of years ago, since they've developed different ways to deal with it.

If you can't find a way to get what you want on Black Friday, I would wait 'til after the holidays. The prices are continuing to come down as more people make the switch...and I have a feeling that the TV makers will take advantage of people's confusion over the analog to digital transition and put some decent deals out there in February.

Also, what ever you do, don't buy an HDMI cable from the same place as your TV. They will try to get you to pay 50-100 bucks for one. They are readily available online for about $10.
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:46:29PM
Also- my bad it's a Sharp 42" not 46". Here is the link to the Costco offer

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11316143&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=10&lang=en-US
Ordep
11/14/08 1:48:26PM
I'll say go for Vizio or Samsung. But if you can afford higher$$ then Sony.

I got a 26" Vizio and I'm not dissapointed at all.
For PS3
For regular TV
For HD TV channels
General Features (2 HDMIs, Side AV and audio outputs,etc)

BTW I'll be selling it in 2 weeks (leaving the country for 9 months so i rather get a new one when I get back and not just store this one in the closet all that time)
grappler0000
11/14/08 1:49:32PM

Posted by Jackelope

What is the difference between a 1080i and a 1080p? I know supposedly a 1080p is better, but I don't really understand the difference I guess. Is it refresh rate, or what?

With 1080i, only every other line is refreshed with each pass, while with 1080p, all lines are refreshed with each pass. I don't know if you remember the old computer monitors that were interlaced, but it' the same concept. I would definitely recommend the 1080p.
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:51:11PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Jackelope

With 1080i, only every other line is refreshed with each pass, while with 1080p, all lines are refreshed with each pass. I don't know if you remember the old computer monitors that were interlaced, but it' the same concept. I would definitely recommend the 1080p.

Thanks and damn the necessity for love spreadage
iwannabesedated
11/14/08 1:54:50PM
The hardest decision after buying your new toy is..Debating if you want to wall mount it.My buddy roncomanjason mounted his its looks sweet.I think hes got a "42 Sharp or RCA not too sure.I'm thinking of mounting mine.But i dont feel like buying a new stand to go under it for my xbox and tv box.
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:58:34PM
I think I'm going to wall mount mine when I finally buy it. I think I'll get one of those little 2 1/2 foot tall by 5 foot long "tables" to put all my stuff into. Then I believe I'll run the chords up through the wall and into the back of the TV. But then again, with an Xbox and all kinds of stuff that might get complicated. So we'll see.
iwannabesedated
11/14/08 2:01:34PM

Posted by Jackelope

I think I'm going to wall mount mine when I finally buy it. I think I'll get one of those little 2 1/2 foot tall by 5 foot long "tables" to put all my stuff into. Then I believe I'll run the chords up through the wall and into the back of the TV. But then again, with an Xbox and all kinds of stuff that might get complicated. So we'll see.

I'm pretty sure theres a plastic or rubber type thing that allows you to put all your cables into it so you dont see 546456 cables running up your wall.
Jackelope
11/14/08 2:08:51PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by Jackelope

I'm pretty sure theres a plastic or rubber type thing that allows you to put all your cables into it so you dont see 546456 cables running up your wall.

I just realized I said "chords" instead of "cords" I've been playing far too much guitar lately
Rush
11/14/08 2:18:31PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

called wire channeling.

Wall mounts can get expensive too, so factor that into your pricing.

As for LCD, I have seen a huge range of quality between brands. I am sure some of it can be attributed to resolution, but some LCDs look worse than my old tube. One thing that you should do is find out where you want to put the TV, the room lighting and what not and actually see if the display model looks like it will work for you. See where the quality of the picture stands compared to the cheapo models and the higher end models.

Another tip that I can give you is actually go to a shop that sells high end products (Note Sony is not high end), their salesmen are way more knowledgable than so guy at Best Buy or Walmart. Ask all your dumb questions and find out what is important for you. Then you can shop around online for an affordable TV that is right for you.
emfleek
11/14/08 2:40:07PM
I'm not a fan of the wall mounting. I'd rather have it on a nice stand.
Jackelope
11/14/08 4:51:13PM

Posted by emfleek

We should discuss the pros/cons of wall mount vs. table mounting to help me decide lol. I'll go first for wall mounting-

Pro: Don't have to buy a huge entertainment center for it

Con: Running wires to the TV

SpiderSilva
11/14/08 4:53:27PM
DON"T BUY NOW !!!!!!

The best time to buy a TV is right before the Super Bowl trust me I know. Im talking 100's of dollars off deals are always better than around christmas
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/15/08 1:46:15AM
Make sure you get a120 hertz 1080 P tv. Sony and samsung are the best followed by sharp for lcds. Sony actually makes the front panels for samsung so IMO its pointless to buy a sony unless you have some brand fetish(as sonys are far more expensive then samsung). I recently bought the 750 series samsung 40 inch for 1600$ . It recently came down from 2700$ . All i watch is sports , so its a must to get a 120 HERTZ TV(same if you play video games ) . Another thing , find a store that gives commision to sales , not set prices (IE: future shop instead of bestbuy ) where you can bargain the price down. I got a 600 $ home theatre reciever , 600$ home theatre set of 5 speakers ( center channel speaker , 4 surround speakers and sub) , the tv , 3 fiber optic cables ( one for my pvr , one for my ps3 , one for the sub ) hdmi cable , power surge bar , 100 feet of speaker cable for 2600$ after tax .

Edit: the difference between 1080 I and p is 1 million pixells to 2million pixells . A huge difference . Dont quote me on this but im also fairly positive 120 hertz tvs have double the lines per screen as well(compared to 60 hertz) . The difference between a plasma tv and an lcd are : plasmas have a 0.1 second respond time (while the best lcd has 4 second res time ) , plasmas have 1 million to 1 contrast ratio (while only the top of the line lcd's have this , such as the 6000$ sony xbr8 ) , plasmas are far cheaper then lcds . you can get the same quality plasma as the xbr8 for about 2000 . On paper im a plasma guy , but i cant take the risk of having to replace the tv due to burn in . Basically lcd's are just trying to catch up to plasmas . my tv is 50, 000 to 1 contrast ratio fyi . IMO don't cheap out and buy a 60 hertz 1080 P tv . Go talk to various tv salesman , dont listen to sony salesman as they will rep sony as the best obviously . Talk to salesman who dont work on commission for getting info , buy at store who does . my 2 cents .
MMAcca
11/15/08 1:59:48AM

Posted by emfleek

Me too for definate. imo it looks so much smarter and creates a nice focal point in the room.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Panasonic! Or are they branded as something else in the US ?

Anyway, i got a Panasonic Viera 42'' plasma (by the way image burn is pretty much a non-issue nowadays with the newer plasmas) and i'm more than happy with it. It looks great on it's stand in the corner of my living room.

I did quite a lot of research when looking to purchase my tv and found that it's not always the best idea to pay more for branding. I found that some of the Sony sets (which are the most expensive over here) had substandard picture quality compared with others.
grappler0000
11/15/08 3:21:23AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Edit: the difference between 1080 I and p is 1 million pixells to 2million pixells . A huge difference . Dont quote me on this but im also fairly positive 120 hertz tvs have double the lines per screen as well(compared to 60 hertz) . The difference between a plasma tv and an lcd are : plasmas have a 0.1 second respond time (while the best lcd has 4 second res time ) , plasmas have 1 million to 1 contrast ratio (while only the top of the line lcd's have this , such as the 6000$ sony xbr8 ) , plasmas are far cheaper then lcds . you can get the same quality plasma as the xbr8 for about 2000 . On paper im a plasma guy , but i cant take the risk of having to replace the tv due to burn in . Basically lcd's are just trying to catch up to plasmas . my tv is 50, 000 to 1 contrast ratio fyi . IMO don't cheap out and buy a 60 hertz 1080 P tv . Go talk to various tv salesman , dont listen to sony salesman as they will rep sony as the best obviously . Talk to salesman who dont work on commission for getting info , buy at store who does . my 2 cents .

There is no difference in pixels between a 1080i and a 1080p. In fact, 1080 is based on the number of vertical lines that the TV has. Both are 1920x1080, while 720i and 720p have a resolution of 1280x720. However the difference in a 720 TV vs a 1080 TV is 1 and 2 megapixels respectively. The difference in i-interlaced and p-progressive scan is how the lines are painted on the screen. With progressive scan, every line is written with each pass, while interlaced paints every other line on one pass and then the remaining lines on a second pass. Obviously progressive scan is the best route.

120hz TV's do not have twice the number of lines of a 60hz. Hertz refers to the refresh rate and has nothing to do with actual resolution. In this case, the 120 would refresh twice as fast as the 60. IMHO, I would not spend the extra money on the 120hz at this time. As with everything else, the price will eventually come down over time, but as of right now, unless you have money to burn, there are better things to spend that extra money on. Every unbiased review I've read pretty much agrees that the difference is barely discernible if at all.

Burn-in on Plasmas is hardly a factor these days. It was a major consideration a couple of years ago, but not so much anymore. The beauty of technology. Previously the LCD's were much higher priced for the larger TV's due to manufacturing constrictions...but as prices are much closer now along with the advancement of Plasma technology, I'm finding that it really comes down to preference and the room you'll be putting it in.Plasmas still have one distinct advantage...contrast. True black and vivid colors are better viewed on a plasma for sure. If you are planning on putting it in a room that can't avoid sunlight, I would probably go for an LCD, for better daytime viewing.
postman
11/15/08 9:56:32AM
I don't know if this is true but I heard that the tv providers can't broadcast in 1080 p you will only get that from Blu-ray and hd dvd. If this is true and then unless you watch movies all the time whats the point of sending the extra cash? Hell I have a 37 in Sanyo its a 720 and I love it. I was going to get the 1080 visio but I was able to work a deal with the sales lady and walked out with that tv for 535 I was happ. I figure when prices some down I will buy a 1080 and put the 720 in the bedroom
MMAcca
11/15/08 12:19:13PM

Posted by postman

I don't know if this is true but I heard that the tv providers can't broadcast in 1080 p you will only get that from Blu-ray and hd dvd. If this is true and then unless you watch movies all the time whats the point of sending the extra cash? Hell I have a 37 in Sanyo its a 720 and I love it. I was going to get the 1080 visio but I was able to work a deal with the sales lady and walked out with that tv for 535 I was happ. I figure when prices some down I will buy a 1080 and put the 720 in the bedroom

Not a lot of stuff is broadcast in 1080 yet.

But it will come....
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/15/08 12:21:49PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

There is no difference in pixels between a 1080i and a 1080p. In fact, 1080 is based on the number of vertical lines that the TV has. Both are 1920x1080, while 720i and 720p have a resolution of 1280x720. However the difference in a 720 TV vs a 1080 TV is 1 and 2 megapixels respectively. The difference in i-interlaced and p-progressive scan is how the lines are painted on the screen. With progressive scan, every line is written with each pass, while interlaced paints every other line on one pass and then the remaining lines on a second pass. Obviously progressive scan is the best route.

120hz TV's do not have twice the number of lines of a 60hz. Hertz refers to the refresh rate and has nothing to do with actual resolution. In this case, the 120 would refresh twice as fast as the 60. IMHO, I would not spend the extra money on the 120hz at this time. As with everything else, the price will eventually come down over time, but as of right now, unless you have money to burn, there are better things to spend that extra money on. Every unbiased review I've read pretty much agrees that the difference is barely discernible if at all.

Burn-in on Plasmas is hardly a factor these days. It was a major consideration a couple of years ago, but not so much anymore. The beauty of technology. Previously the LCD's were much higher priced for the larger TV's due to manufacturing constrictions...but as prices are much closer now along with the advancement of Plasma technology, I'm finding that it really comes down to preference and the room you'll be putting it in.Plasmas still have one distinct advantage...contrast. True black and vivid colors are better viewed on a plasma for sure. If you are planning on putting it in a room that can't avoid sunlight, I would probably go for an LCD, for better daytime viewing.

good stuff man thanks for clearing that up . Your spot on in regards to everything accept for the difference in 60/120 hertz. I had a 60 hertz tv for a while and the difference is very noticeable . I dont care what reviews you read, i can see the difference with my own eyes . Everyones got a 30 day return policy , why not buy the same tv in 60 and 120 hertz and return the one you dont want?
Kracker_Jap
11/15/08 3:16:40PM
I just bought a sharp Aquos 55inch 1080p LCD........ about 2-3 months ago and mounted it on the wall.... It is freakin awsome

It cost 1799.... But after buying the mount wires radio ffrequancy remote and stuff it was around $2300

I snap a pict and show you
Kracker_Jap
11/15/08 3:33:07PM
Thats my 2 1/2 year old in the pict....

and Barney on in the back ground But I vote to put it on the wall
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1