Mark Munoz, Donkey Kong and Super Friends out to silence critics at UFC 138

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mark Munoz, Donkey Kong and Super Friends out to silence critics at UFC 138
Budgellism
11/3/11 9:54:55AM
To hear many MMA fans and pundits tell it, the UFC might as well scratch Saturday's UFC 138 altogether.

Despite boasting a 10-bout card that airs free around the globe, UFC 138 has come under fire from critics who are underwhelmed at the evening's lineup. Headliner Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC), who meets slugger Chris Leben (22-7 MMA, 12-6 UFC), couldn't care less.

"They can say what they want," Munoz said at Wednesday's media workout session in Birmingham, England. "When they watch the fight, they're going to be like, 'Oh, I was wrong.' I love proving people wrong.

"It's going to be a great main event. People love to watch fireworks."

LINK
KungFuMaster
11/3/11 11:42:42AM
Of course that is what Munoz will say but he has been pretty boring and gun-shy in the octagon lately. I understand some tactics are to keep distance and win on points but lately Munoz has been a big disappointment for me in terms of performance.

When he fights a big name fighter and whether this fighter is good or not - but nevertheless has a big name, Munoz tends to be gun-shy.

I think Leben is a big name and I have a feeling Munoz will be gun-shy in this bout too.
Playground_Samurai
11/3/11 11:48:26AM
I don't think Munoz is boring at all. I think he's a killer. He just doesn't have that big name as a headliner that people are looking for.
emfleek
11/3/11 11:50:11AM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

I don't think Munoz is boring at all. I think he's a killer. He just doesn't have that big name as a headliner that people are looking for.

This. Though I'll be rooting for my boy Leben on Saturday, I'm expecting Munoz to take this one and wouldn't be suprised one bit if he did it with relative ease.
KungFuMaster
11/3/11 12:13:59PM

Posted by emfleek

This. Though I'll be rooting for my boy Leben on Saturday, I'm expecting Munoz to take this one and wouldn't be suprised one bit if he did it with relative ease.

Don't get me wrong guys. I like what Munoz is capable of and it shows in some of his fights. What troubles me is IMO he becomes gun-shy when fighting higher caliber fighters and or big name fighters. The Okami and Maia fights are perfect depictions of him becoming too passive which translates to boring in the eyes of some mma fans.

IMO, Munoz is a passive person much like myself. You can tell that by the way he speaks and articulates his thoughts. When Munoz is fighting lower tier guys, his confidence over-rides his passive nature. However, when he fights higher tier guys, the pressure becomes greater and he tends to revert to his true nature .............which is passive.
Poor_Franklin
11/3/11 3:10:01PM
if Munoz goes out there trying to put on a slugfest for the crowd, he could go night-night. as a fan of Munoz, I hope he's entertaining, but level headed.

BEWARE ZOMBIE LEBEN!!!!!!

Bubbles
11/3/11 8:27:00PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by emfleek

Don't get me wrong guys. I like what Munoz is capable of and it shows in some of his fights. What troubles me is IMO he becomes gun-shy when fighting higher caliber fighters and or big name fighters. The Okami and Maia fights are perfect depictions of him becoming too passive which translates to boring in the eyes of some mma fans.

IMO, Munoz is a passive person much like myself. You can tell that by the way he speaks and articulates his thoughts. When Munoz is fighting lower tier guys, his confidence over-rides his passive nature. However, when he fights higher tier guys, the pressure becomes greater and he tends to revert to his true nature .............which is passive.

Munoz's ground and pound is his bread and butter. taking Maia down generally isnt going to be a good thing. Okami is just as strong of a wrestler. i see this fight with Munoz on top gnp'ing his way to a 3rd round TKO win. on the other hand, i am rooting for Leben to KO Munoz
sbulldavid
11/3/11 10:14:24PM
Munoz is Chuck Liddell with his guns tied down.
FR33B1RD
11/4/11 1:13:27AM
Munoz is getting Crippled this weekend