Mark Hunt and Josh Barnett are about to get bounced from my rankings.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Mark Hunt and Josh Barnett are about to get bounced from my rankings.
AchillesHeel
12/18/07 5:04:05PM
In less than two weeks, I'll be dropping Mark Hunt and Josh Barnett from my Heavyweight Top 10. I'd dropped Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca already, but these will be the first two to fall out due to inactivity.

BigEvil
12/18/07 5:06:55PM

But how do you feel about Fedor, I know he's about to fight but look who it's against.
pv3Hpv3p
12/18/07 5:18:26PM
I'm having trouble keeping them where they are as well... As much as I enjoy them as fighters, the extended period of inactivity has to start having an impact sometime... Same reason Frank Shamrock isn't in my top 10 MW's

Fedor, IMO, is somewhat in a different category being that he was so dominant in the past. And based on that dominance, or until proven otherwise, He is still going to be top 3 for me in both #4# and HW... While fighting "freakshows" like on NYE doesn't help his argument any, I'll still consider this a tuneup fight and wait to make judgement until I see his next opponent
xchickox
12/18/07 5:20:44PM
i dont get how you can drop sean sherk, it has been a while since he fought but not that long and he's been so dominant at lightweight and will be when he comes back
pv3Hpv3p
12/18/07 5:23:05PM

Posted by xchickox

i dont get how you can drop sean sherk, it has been a while since he fought but not that long and he's been so dominant at lightweight and will be when he comes back

It depends on how you take a win for him while on performance enhancing substances into account... Then a lot of people start thinking that maybe some of his other wins weren't exactly 'fair' either...

Personally, I think he's a hell of a fighter, but taking the steroid thing into account is going to change some peoples' minds about him
hippysmacker
12/18/07 5:29:24PM
I already dropped Fedor on my P4p, Randy completely since hes not fighting, and I never had Hunt in the top 10. I think dropping Barnett is a good idea as well, since he is not fighting , and I will rectify it soon. Thanks for pointing pout something I didn't even think about, even though I argued with a buddy a month ago that I would drop him if he didn't fight someone soon.
cmill21
12/18/07 5:34:55PM
I hate dropping people due to inactivity in favour of people who have lack luster wins or one good one. The HW div is especially tough with this due to a lot of top 10's not fighting and the others that are the closest have one good win, ussually offset by a win against a d class fighter.
Boo_Radley21
12/18/07 5:43:33PM
UFC should sign them both (if Hunt can make weight) and then everybody wins.
AchillesHeel
12/18/07 6:39:06PM

Posted by BigEvil

But how do you feel about Fedor, I know he's about to fight but look who it's against.

I don't like it, but I haven't decided how to rank him yet.

Posted by xchickox

i dont get how you can drop sean sherk

Being suspended = The Boot.

Posted by cmill21

I hate dropping people due to inactivity in favour of people who have lack luster wins or one good one.

So do I, hence the unsmiley face. However, I've decided that one year of inactivity is an automatic booting from my Top 10 lists.
NatedawgThaM
12/18/07 10:16:02PM
I already dropped Randy. I'm about to drop Fedor. I don't think I had Hunt in there. I'm thinking of dropping Barnett too. They are great fighters, They have quality wins. But you can't not fight for a year and expect to be in my top 10. Just ain't happening. I dropped Randy because he's being a little drama queen and won't be fighting for a whole year and he guaranteed it. Barnett's more interested in pro wrestling. Hunt idk what he's doing. I only kept fedor on for so long because at least he fought lindland and april so he's not holding out. It's just he's fighting a guy with one win. That's why I wanna take him out.
Rush
12/18/07 11:19:16PM
With all the shuffling and uncertainty in MMA with Pride going under and fighters fanning out in other orgs, I think I'm waiting a little longer before I drop Randy, Fedor and Josh. The other reason is that there are few people that I think deserve to take their place, if any.
mkiv9secsupra
12/19/07 2:30:02AM
Theres no way you can bump Hunt off without bumping Crocop too considering Hunt is Crocop with a better chin.....inactivity in a division with nothing happening right now means nothing
StorminYourman
12/19/07 2:44:53AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Theres no way you can bump Hunt off without bumping Crocop too considering Hunt is Crocop with a better chin.....inactivity in a division with nothing happening right now means nothing

cmill21
12/19/07 3:00:27AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

What? If you go by skills Cro Cop is light years a head of Hunt in the skills they both posses. Cro Cop didn't rely on his huge build and head of iron to win, he uses elusiveness, incredible kicking and punching power with pin point accuracy. I love Hunt but his skills aren't nearly as good as his chin. Oh and he was outclassed striking wise in both bouts, Cro Cop hit him with 2 or 3 head kicks in their match in Pride as well as 2 axe kicks, and he knocked Hunt down in their K-1 match, the only reason he took the MMA match was his agression(big stock in Pride) and he's only able to be agressive because he knows your more likely to break your foot on his head then to KO him. Sorry that post got me going No hard feelings I just disagree with that statement alot.
mkiv9secsupra
12/19/07 3:24:20AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

What? If you go by skills Cro Cop is light years a head of Hunt in the skills they both posses. Cro Cop didn't rely on his huge build and head of iron to win, he uses elusiveness, incredible kicking and punching power with pin point accuracy. I love Hunt but his skills aren't nearly as good as his chin. Oh and he was outclassed striking wise in both bouts, Cro Cop hit him with 2 or 3 head kicks in their match in Pride as well as 2 axe kicks, and he knocked Hunt down in their K-1 match, the only reason he took the MMA match was his agression(big stock in Pride) and he's only able to be agressive because he knows your more likely to break your foot on his head then to KO him. Sorry that post got me going No hard feelings I just disagree with that statement alot.

i knew id hear from you....ha, i didnt want to get technical i meant more of they are both great kickboxers in MMA not really Hunt is as quick and skilled as CroCop.
fullerene
12/19/07 9:08:28AM
I hear you. There are several guys who haven't had significant recent wins--Barnett, Hunt, Fujita, Fedor, Kharitonov--that I have in my top 10. It just seems wrong to bump those guys for more active, but less talented, fighters like Ben Rothwell and Cheik Kongo but I'm going to have to do it soon.
jiujitsufreak74
12/19/07 11:27:04AM
i am really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. i mean, right now i have fedor number 1 in the world (unfortunately) against my will because big nog, imo, is the top HW who is fighting the top fighters, but i can't put big nog in front of fedor after the way fedor manhandled him in their fights. i have to move up people like jake o'brian and ben rothwell, who although are solid fighters, shouldn't be in the top 10. my HW rankings are a complete mess. i have one of the fighters i disrespect the most as of late at the top of my rankings, tim sylvia is number 3 (you read correctly...i know it's sad) and Kongo is number 7!!!. this is my attempt at cleaning up the HW rankings, and i have to say i wish i can do better...

1) Fedor (this kills me like you have no idea)
2) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
3) Tim Sylvia
4) Andrei Arlovski
5) Gabriel Gonzaga
6) Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
7) Cheick Kongo (please don't make fun of me )
8) Fabricio Werdum
9) Jake O'Brien
10) Ben Rothwell

my list makes me very uneasy, but imo, its the best way to clean up this mess.