Mark Hunt Forced Out at UFC 146, Stefan Struve Now Meets Lavar Johnson

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mark Hunt Forced Out at UFC 146, Stefan Struve Now Meets Lavar Johnson
Next Page »
BlueSkiesBurn
5/17/12 5:08:00PM
Lavar Johnson is getting another big opportunity.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Johnson (17-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is expected to replace Mark Hunt (8-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in a heavyweight bout against Stefan Struve (23-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at UFC 146, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Article

This sucks.
Poor_Franklin
5/17/12 5:08:54PM
poor struve

i wouldve much preferred that Hunt be the one facing Johnson, but whatever. at least it's still all HWs
george112
5/17/12 5:19:13PM
Man this sucks.

Hunt needed this. Right when he's making a buzz.

Johnson via utter destruction
airkerma
5/17/12 5:19:53PM
This. Sucks. Balls. I like this fight but man I wanted to see Hunt get after Struve. After that interesting ground debacle with Barry, I think Struve can lock up a sub on him.
george112
5/17/12 5:23:45PM

Posted by airkerma

This. Sucks. Balls. I like this fight but man I wanted to see Hunt get after Struve. After that interesting ground debacle with Barry, I think Struve can lock up a sub on him.

I would agree if Struve wasnt a bean pole compared to Johnson
Twenty20Dollars
5/17/12 5:24:28PM
Really short notice.

But I still have same result, struve gets finished in the first.
Bubbles
5/17/12 5:38:03PM
Struve by flying triangle
Budgellism
5/17/12 5:52:21PM
Dammit, this sucks
Pookie
5/17/12 6:00:37PM
Crushed. I'm just crushed.
kopower
5/17/12 6:11:17PM
Goodnight Stefan
Aether
5/17/12 6:19:10PM
I think it could easily go either way. Johnson's ground game is possibly the worst in the entire division, but obviously if Struve can't get him down pretty quickly, he'll probably get knocked out.
KungFuMaster
5/17/12 6:32:56PM
I was counting on Hunt getting a title shot at the end of this year. It doesn't look like it now.
pmoney
5/17/12 6:33:22PM
No!!!! The warwagon was going so strong... I hope Hunt recovers well. Either way though, he can come back and fight the winner of this one. Hunt vs. Johnson?
BuffaloDave
5/17/12 6:47:06PM
Definitely sucks, hope the injury isn't to serious. Having Lavar Johnson fill in softens Hunt being out.
Hendo67
5/17/12 6:56:55PM

Similar KO, with Struve falling the exact same way... seems he falls the same way every time.
shaneTpain
5/17/12 7:18:09PM
Noooooooooo!
disregard my av fellas
Adrenaline
5/17/12 7:25:36PM
Well shit balls.....yeah...thats all I got.
FastKnockout
5/17/12 7:40:51PM
Sucks for Hunt.

Struve's vulnerable chin vs. Johnson's nonexistent ground game. Hard pick.
prophecy033
5/17/12 7:55:36PM
scoozna
5/17/12 10:07:44PM
Damn knee injuries. Someone needs to invent the bionic knee....stat!
Sir_Karl
5/17/12 10:08:06PM
More musical chairs for the heavyweights in this UFC event. Jeepers. Struve needs to stay away from Lavar's punches. Struve will probably try to duke it out a little though....which will more than likely be a fatal mistake.
prozacnation1978
5/17/12 10:47:22PM
Easier pick for me
Sucks hunt was out. But a Johnson onslaught is just as nice
KungFuMaster
5/18/12 12:42:28AM
I'm not too impressed with Johnson. He reminds me of Phil Baroni who is only dangerous in the first round. I am banking on Struve to survive the opening onslaught and rally from behind to win by tko or submission.
hashyandy4
5/18/12 3:05:53AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aussiemma
5/18/12 3:59:45AM
struve by submission !
aussiemma
5/18/12 4:02:07AM
i think everyone is forgetting how tough struve is....
DosBox
5/18/12 4:53:18AM
I've actually been a pretty big Struve detractor (regarding my previous posts) but I have to say that i've been somewhat impressed by his striking defense against Pat Barry, and then again with Dave Herman.

His striking defense was just abysmal and took too much damage early on. Now, he's been able avoid some shots in his last couple fights and he's going up against a dude he has a non existant ground game + not a guy that could go 3 hard rounds. That being said, he has massive power in his hands, which is a possible X factor.

I've gone against Struve and LaVar in most of the fights, but i'll say Struve's improved striking defense - good cardio and ground will get him a victory against Lavar. (That being said, im making this pick under the assumption that Lavar could totally melt his face off with some of those brutal right hands).
aussiemma
5/18/12 9:02:57AM

Posted by DosBox

I've actually been a pretty big Struve detractor (regarding my previous posts) but I have to say that i've been somewhat impressed by his striking defense against Pat Barry, and then again with Dave Herman.

His striking defense was just abysmal and took too much damage early on. Now, he's been able avoid some shots in his last couple fights and he's going up against a dude he has a non existant ground game + not a guy that could go 3 hard rounds. That being said, he has massive power in his hands, which is a possible X factor.

I've gone against Struve and LaVar in most of the fights, but i'll say Struve's improved striking defense - good cardio and ground will get him a victory against Lavar. (That being said, im making this pick under the assumption that Lavar could totally melt his face off with some of those brutal right hands).

great post and totally agree, i think if struve can get out of the first round he can definately win this. Im not a fan of lavar johnson he is basically a brawler and that is it but he does have heavy hands and will be dangerous early, although struve has been ko'd before lets not forget he has good kickboxing and very good ground game for a hw.
its kinda funny if you look at their records, both have 5 losses each in their mma careers, struve with 4 tko losses and 1 sub, johnson with 4 sub losses and 1 tko.
Poor_Franklin
5/18/12 10:32:36AM
why was johnson/barry so good? bc barry can take a shot.

Struve wont be able to take those shots. I do not hate on struve's skills & am very well aware how much more well rounded he is than lavar, but he's laying down funny next weekend
scoozna
5/18/12 10:47:49AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I'm not too impressed with Johnson. He reminds me of Phil Baroni who is only dangerous in the first round. I am banking on Struve to survive the opening onslaught and rally from behind to win by tko or submission.

That's what makes it great!
Pages: [1] 2