Mark Coleman Does Not Want to Fight Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mark Coleman Does Not Want to Fight Brock Lesnar
MMAcca
8/12/08 1:40:18PM
"The basic story is this...Coleman really doesn't want the fight."

-- Dave Meltzer, explaining why Cheick Kongo is now the frontrunner to be Brock Lesnar's next opponent.

LINK
finnish_line
8/12/08 1:44:54PM

He looks bad since he did cut that promo calling Brock out, but who can really blame him for a reversal after Saturday night?
stock
8/12/08 1:57:39PM
Smart move.
Coleman would get destroyed. I could see him hanging the first round, but Brock's cardio is light years ahead of Coleman and his old age.
KingCreep
8/12/08 2:08:28PM
i seriously hope they dont give lesnar an even worse ground fighter, but i suppose there isn't much they can do, i'd like to see gonzaga/lesnar but kongo is not ready for brock's ground game if he couldn't handle herring's.
dust
8/12/08 2:15:23PM

Posted by KingCreep

i seriously hope they dont give lesnar an even worse ground fighter, but i suppose there isn't much they can do, i'd like to see gonzaga/lesnar but kongo is not ready for brock's ground game if he couldn't handle herring's.

If Herring had no answer to Lesnar no one else in the UFC will except for Noguiera. If Lesnar fights Mir again Mir will wish it was another motorcycle wreck.
MMAnia07
8/12/08 2:19:28PM
Are we all really that surprised? We all watched the same fight right? No doubt Mark Coleman was at home drinking large whiskies, thanking his lucky stars he wasn't getting his ass served to him. I don't like Brock, and I don't think I ever will, he is a bit of cock frankly, and although everyone has suddenly jumped on the Brock for Champ bandwagon, he will never be the true face of MMA, certainly not in my household. Plus I reckon Kongo beats him. If he can outstrike Cro Cop, he certainly can outstrike Hamhand Lesnar.
Wolfenstein
8/12/08 2:37:06PM
He doesn't want Shogun or Lesnar, so who exactly does he want to fight? They're not going to hand him a freebee. He was brought in to be fodder for Lesnar. He's foolish if he thinks he was brought on board to be anything other than a stepping stone for rising stars.

Aether
8/12/08 2:37:25PM
Yeah of course kongo can outstrike Lesnar... Problem is that he can't stop his takedowns so that probably won't come into play unless he can score a KO as Lesnar charges for a takedown.
gabe531
8/12/08 2:37:47PM

Posted by MMAnia07

Are we all really that surprised? We all watched the same fight right? No doubt Mark Coleman was at home drinking large whiskies, thanking his lucky stars he wasn't getting his ass served to him. I don't like Brock, and I don't think I ever will, he is a bit of cock frankly, and although everyone has suddenly jumped on the Brock for Champ bandwagon, he will never be the true face of MMA, certainly not in my household. Plus I reckon Kongo beats him. If he can outstrike Cro Cop, he certainly can outstrike Hamhand Lesnar.

he outstruck cro cop but that dont mean this fight will be on the feet the entire fight. cro cop was not the same man in ufc as he was in pride. something was different. kongo stands about as much chance to win this as he does to get his wish for title shot next. very little.
Mchubb316
8/12/08 2:51:56PM
Lesnar will beat Kongo. I don't know how great of a striker Lesnar is, but his speed and strength will nulify Kongo's striking. Lesnar will run right through whatever Kongo tries, and take him down, and do the same thing he did against Herring. The time frame between fights will also give Lesnar much more time to further his MMA skills.
Twenty20Dollars
8/12/08 2:59:06PM
I thought coleman was trying to fight at 205 anyway. But dont give lesnar coleman or kongo. Lesnar would take kongo down and win the end. Lesnar should fight mccully.
gabe531
8/12/08 3:19:43PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I thought coleman was trying to fight at 205 anyway. But dont give lesnar coleman or kongo. Lesnar would take kongo down and win the end. Lesnar should fight mccully.

and what would be different if he fought mccully??
postman
8/12/08 3:29:12PM

Posted by dust

Posted by KingCreep

If Herring had no answer to Lesnar no one else in the UFC will except for Noguiera. If Lesnar fights Mir again Mir will wish it was another motorcycle wreck.

I disagree on the Mir coment. There were alot of mistakes that Lesnar made in that fight that I fell Mir would have explotid.
mk1630
8/12/08 4:11:19PM

Posted by dust

Posted by KingCreep

Kind of an asshole thing to say about the accident.
GlancyMMA
8/12/08 4:11:53PM
I gotta give that matchup to Kongo.

I think Kongo stands a much better chance at defending a Lesnar takedown.

with his long strong legs his sprawl would work well and end up with them tying up against the cage. and from here Kongo could utilize his knees, dirty boxing and muay thai.

Lesnar is a one trick pony (currently).... he wrestles his opponent to the ground and lays heavy on them throwing hammer fists....He did nothing to advance his position on the ground which allowed herring to turtle and survive....

Thats doesn't make for an entertaining heavyweight.

juanez13
8/12/08 4:21:27PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

I gotta give that matchup to Kongo.

I think Kongo stands a much better chance at defending a Lesnar takedown.

with his long strong legs his sprawl would work well and end up with them tying up against the cage. and from here Kongo could utilize his knees, dirty boxing and muay thai.

Lesnar is a one trick pony (currently).... he wrestles his opponent to the ground and lays heavy on them throwing hammer fists....He did nothing to advance his position on the ground which allowed herring to turtle and survive....

Thats doesn't make for an entertaining heavyweight.

Guess you havent seen much of Kongo, He has horrible takedown defence, some of the worst in the division IMO. (watch fight Vs Herring/assuerio Silva/ Merrero)

Even if he stopped a takedown, he wouldnt be able to do much in the clinch, if he threw knees that would give away a takedowns.

I'd say if the fought, I'd looks much like Herring/Lesnar but without Kongo giving up his back, and Lesnar getting mount or half guard and pounding Kongo. Kongo cant handle pressure when he is striking (ala the Herring Fight) so if Brock put pressure Kongo wont do anything standing which gives Lesnar the opportunity to take the fight to the ground.
Givershit
8/12/08 4:41:19PM
Not Kongo maybe Gonzaga. But my vote goes to Shane Carwin.
RMFG_187
8/12/08 6:29:29PM
They cant have Kongo vs Lesnar, it wouldnt be on their list to do. Next fight would probably be against Carwin, GG, or Sanchez. most likely Sanchez.
candynuts
8/12/08 6:58:21PM
Marrero and Assuerio Silva were able to take Kongo down almost at will. Kongo is big and strong, but Lesnar will still probably have about 40-50lbs on Kongo. Kongo from his back does not look well. Herring gave Kongo some good knees to the body and im sure Brock will as well.
Aether
8/12/08 8:26:29PM
I think Gonzaga would be the best matchup for him at the moment. A big strong heavyweight with great jiu-jitsu and decent standup. I think it would be a good test for him.
mrsmiley
8/12/08 8:51:23PM
One thing I want to see is Lesnar get his chin tested.If someone could work around his takedown and speed,I'm curious to see how Lesnar would eat a well placed high kick or hook.If Lesnar took a kick from Kongo or GG and just laughed,I would FREAK out.
telnights
8/12/08 11:06:13PM
After what Lesnar did to Herring I wouldn't want to fight him either. Herring is a tough guy and Lesnar just man handled him.
juanez13
8/12/08 11:22:11PM

Posted by mrsmiley

One thing I want to see is Lesnar get his chin tested.If someone could work around his takedown and speed,I'm curious to see how Lesnar would eat a well placed high kick or hook.If Lesnar took a kick from Kongo or GG and just laughed,I would FREAK out.

Brock said he had a head of steel (pre fight interview), and His head is HUGE too (which most of the times it equates to having the ability to take a good shot).....I wonder too if its real, I'd like to see him eat a knee (franca/sherk) style and see how he reacts.
bls1919
8/13/08 5:33:45PM
I really want to see him fight Cain Velasquez. He might be able to stop some of Brock shots and feed him some decent leather in the process.