Mark Burnett planning EliteXC reality series

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mark Burnett planning EliteXC reality series
ac_gi
6/27/07 6:10:22PM
Mark Burnett has used the reality realm to find heavyweights in numerous areas, from the boxing ring and boardroom to remote islands and the rock 'n' roll stage. Now he's apparently ready to enter the world of mixed martial arts.

This is a couple of days old but...
LINK
grappler0000
6/27/07 6:44:26PM
Hmm...The Ultimate Fighter, then the Iron Ring (or whatever it's called), and now this. I think having 3 MMA reality shows on TV is a little excessive. I imagine the orgs will be losing money if they have to split the audience 3 ways. Of coarse, I think that even if they lose money on the shows, it pays off in the end with PPV dollars.
ac_gi
6/27/07 6:47:53PM

Posted by grappler0000

Hmm...The Ultimate Fighter, then the Iron Ring (or whatever it's called), and now this. I think having 3 MMA reality shows on TV is a little excessive. I imagine the orgs will be losing money if they have to split the audience 3 ways. Of coarse, I think that even if they lose money on the shows, it pays off in the end with PPV dollars.

I say the more MMA exposure the better, it may get a little watered down but it's better than waiting 2 months or longer for an event like we had to do in the past.

What's the Iron Ring? I must have missed that one.
grappler0000
6/27/07 6:55:57PM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by grappler0000

I say the more MMA exposure the better, it may get a little watered down but it's better than waiting 2 months or longer for an event like we had to do in the past.

What's the Iron Ring? I must have missed that one.

I haven't heard anything about it in a while now, but it's kind of a circus act:

Black Entertainment Television (BET) is the latest outlet to dive into the MMA fray, commencing auditions this week for a reality TV series entitled “The Iron Ring.” Under the New Jersey Athletic Control Board’s eye this past week, hopefuls sparred and grappled for the camera in the hopes of being selected. The hook is these fighters will be relegated under hip-hip celebrities who will oversee their training, culminating in a round-robin tournament.

In N.J., musical artist Ludacris attended auditions; while in Florida, Baltimore Ravens’ linebacker Ray Lewis and infamous Internet brawler Kimbo will have a hand in the selection process. In Los Angeles, comedian/actor Eddie Griffin and musical artist Snoop Dog have been enlisted.

The project is being spearheaded by Zilo Network Co-Founders and Executive Producers David Isaacs and Campbell McLaren, who with Semaphore Entertainment Group, produced some of the Ultimate Fighting Championship events throughout the 1990s.
ncordless
6/27/07 7:05:35PM
I bet Diaz and Diego make it on Snoop's team.
MrLehman
6/27/07 8:51:57PM
don't forget about the show TapouT
Sam_Rothstein
6/27/07 10:44:05PM
i think contender was an awesome show and if he can do an mma show similar to how he did that i think it would be great
OBEY
6/28/07 1:20:31AM
what the hell does mark burnett know about MMA ???

I think more exposure would be good, why not show the world that MMA fighters are intelligent athletes and not just dumbasses who like to beat people up.

However i disagree in expanding the sport through the hands of mark burnett.

maybe he'll have them sing and dance, then have them race around the world to a deserted area (preferably alaska) only to leave them to survive for 60 days to become the ultimate fighter.

The only time mark burnett beats on someone, is when hes beating on his own meat, which shouldnt be too hard of a bout. especially for ultra wealthy mark burnett.

My point being he should stick to his own reality, MMA is well taken care off and it doesnt need the help of mark burnett.

maybe he can loan ryan seacrest from american idol to host the show,
nah what am i sayin he should get ben mulrooney from canadian idol to host.
he would be way cheaper, you can pay him in canadian money.

Mayo
6/28/07 11:06:14AM

Posted by MrLehman

don't forget about the show TapouT

I really like the TapouT show and tried starting a thread about it but I have a feeling nobody knows it exists.
Did you see when the TapouT guys visited Chuck's camp The Pit ?
GlancyMMA
6/28/07 12:32:15PM
Burnett is the perfect person to take an MMA theme show and take it totally mainstream...

although TUF is doing great ans bringing worlwide exposure to MMA Spike TV the cable station that airs the show is just too small... ratings are not large enough first of all and second not national.

With the pull that Burnett bring as both creator and producer will be insrumental in the success of this show. Burnett is the mean to get this Pro Elite production onto a National Television Network. Thus a tremendously larger audience and only then will MMA become a mainstream sport and perhaps get the recognition is deserves, like any sport aired nationally (ie. baseball, hockey, football.

Burnett and his mass media, please everyone style is perfect for a TUF inspired show.
Sam_Rothstein
6/28/07 4:31:13PM
i couldnt of said it better myself, mark burnett will find a way to bring it to main stream media without making it really lame

i also think its an endless market of mma stars out there that noone knows and shows like these can help make them household names

and also even find some newer mma stars that even the veteran fans can enjoy seeing for the first time
grappler0000
6/28/07 4:59:34PM
I for one think Mark Burnett will make a mockery of MMA. He doesn't care about the image of MMA...he only cares about making a buck. He would gladly put 16 Marlon Sims wannabes in there if it made him money. MMA is moving forward at an incredible pace...and I would rather see it continue at the pace it's at, rather than cut corners and compromise the positive image that it is finally beginning to show. Each day, more and more fans cross over...but, there are still people out there that think the sport is a joke and isn't even a sport at all...so I think at this point credability is more important than mainstream numbers...those numbers will naturally come over time. With the changes we've seen in the last year or two alone, I don't think MMA needs Mark Burnett at all.
Scott_Revels
6/30/07 1:45:27AM
Official Show Description:

"Coming soon to CBS! Mark Burnett presents, "Lot of MMA Pirate Survivors!" ('On The Lot', 'Pirate Master', and 'Survivor'), in which 16 Mixed Martial Arts superstars battle on a ship.. NO! A Volcano, forming alliances, and teams. Each week a fighter will be armbar'd right off the Volcano's edge, into the lava below! The winner will get a shot to appear on the main event of the upcoming PPV! Watch as fighters bicker over who ate the last piece of slag rock, or when one fighter goes nuts, and begins running around the volcano naked, and ends up getting his left testicle burnt off by a large piece of flying ash! Only one Man can bring you this great new concept of reality TV! MARK BURNETT! Which fighter will come out the winner? Tune in every Sunday morning at 4 a.m., because CBS wouldn't give us a better time slot! They say this show is stupid, but we disagree! WATCH IT PLEASE!"

------------------------------------
Sounds stupid..