Mario Lopez?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Mario Lopez?
aceprone
2/7/07 1:15:52PM
I don't really understand why he is going to be commentaring Elite. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyone got any answers to this?
ffforgottenx
2/7/07 1:30:18PM
im not sure, this struck me as kind of odd also.. but i remember reading somewhere that he has a wrestling background and is very interested in and knowledgeable about MMA.. i dont think elitexc would sign him on to commentate if he had no knowledge of the sport, but then again, i have some seen some pretty bad commentators before.. but i guess we will only have to wait three more days to find out how he will do.. i think he will be alright
aceprone
2/7/07 2:00:27PM
maybe they got him to bring in some females. haha..
waylon_o
2/7/07 3:57:01PM
His character was a wrestler on Saved by the Bell....lol...AC Slater
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/07 4:18:58PM
Even if Slater does know a thing or two about MMA, I think he will still drive me nuts... Bill Goldberg's going to be the other guy, right?

Personally I think they should have one Straight-laced guy and one odd-ball guy... It seems to be the standard for most sports, one guy does play-by-play the other does color commentary...

Seems like they got themselves two 'odd-ball' guys...
waylon_o
2/7/07 4:21:55PM
AC Slater...I can't take this guy seriously. He also hosted some Amazing Dog Tricks show in the Animal Planet. Now he does mma?
Svartorm
2/7/07 5:36:24PM
Hopefully its just a temporary situation and they'll get a good play by play guy at some point.
Tha1
2/7/07 6:23:09PM
mario lopez is an advid boxer, spars on occasion with james toney. i think through boxing he's taken interest in mma.
mrsumo
2/7/07 10:29:11PM
They probably had a casting call for the spot and he was the most recognizable of all the unemployed actors who auditioned. That or he knows someone. Has he done anything since saved by the bell, besides dancing with the stars?
crimethinc
2/8/07 12:15:56AM
He did have all those guest spots on Nip/Tuck. Apparently AC is a long time fan of MMA the cameras often find him in the audience of UFC events. I think he is going to be like a roving reporter and I don't know if he's actually doing ringside commentary. I'm more concerned with Goldberg. I wish anything and anyone whose been involved in the last decade of pro wrestling would be quarantined on an island somewhere. When a fighter is setting up for a guillotine I imagine Goldberg will say something like "Oh, here comes the piledriver!"

I think a better celebrity team of UFC fans would have been Michael Clark Duncan and Juliette Lewis. A big black guy and a skinny little white girl announcing fights. It's practically a sitcom already.
hippysmacker
2/8/07 3:01:23AM

Posted by crimethinc

He did have all those guest spots on Nip/Tuck. Apparently AC is a long time fan of MMA the cameras often find him in the audience of UFC events. I think he is going to be like a roving reporter and I don't know if he's actually doing ringside commentary. I'm more concerned with Goldberg. I wish anything and anyone whose been involved in the last decade of pro wrestling would be quarantined on an island somewhere. When a fighter is setting up for a guillotine I imagine Goldberg will say something like "Oh, here comes the piledriver!"

I think a better celebrity team of UFC fans would have been Michael Clark Duncan and Juliette Lewis. A big black guy and a skinny little white girl announcing fights. It's practically a sitcom already.

LOL, that would be comedy,and almostas sad as Goldberg/Lopez IMO
Still. at least it would be funny.
madmarck
2/8/07 7:48:29AM

Posted by waylon_o

AC Slater...I can't take this guy seriously. He also hosted some Amazing Dog Tricks show in the Animal Planet. Now he does mma?

He also did Miss Teen USA.
And now soon he is doing Miss USA.
But it just goes to show if you listen to "the savage dog show" how inferior they are to "the beatdown"
cowcatcher
2/8/07 10:22:03AM
he's gonna be the best thing ever to happen to MMA, now we can see Screech fight in EliteXC and save his house, he had a great showing against Horshack
madmarck
2/8/07 10:27:22AM

Posted by cowcatcher

he's gonna be the best thing ever to happen to MMA, now we can see Screech fight in EliteXC and save his house, he had a great showing against Horshack

ahahahhahahhhahhahahhaha.........thats wicked. i think that guy plays in a band now. Called Salty Pocketknife.
hypocalking
2/11/07 1:44:50PM
Looks like he got the axe.
aceprone
2/11/07 2:53:14PM
Does anyone know where Mario Lopez was lastnight?
Svartorm
2/11/07 5:04:14PM
I don't care, as long as he wasn't on my tv.
hippysmacker
2/12/07 2:44:12AM

Posted by Svartorm

I don't care, as long as he wasn't on my tv.

LOL, i'll second that!
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 5:06:54AM
Hating on Mario Lopez for what reason?

the guy is a Sparring Partner for many boxers and a big fan of boxing..im sure he also trains MMA now that its so huge...i would rather want him commentating than "180 time undefeated" heavyweight champion Bill Goldberg!

aceprone
2/12/07 5:13:00AM
I dont' think Goldberg is crediable ethier.
hippysmacker
2/12/07 6:27:38AM
Not wanting him their is not the same as hating on him. The last thing the sport needs now that it is recognizable is to be affiliated with kid TV star's, pro wrestler's or anyone seemingly ( real or not) illegitemate IMO. He can be the greatest boxer ever, and love the sport, but " celebrity" announcer's take me back to the days of Jim Brown.. He's the greatest running back of all-time IMO , but that doen't mean he has any business calling MMA. Mike Goldberg, Ranallo just seem to be harmless announcer guys. It's the Quadros, Rogan ( knowledeable fan and Martial arts background- I don't put Lopez in this category) and former fighter's Bas/Randy who I think give MMA a better image.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 8:26:34AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Not wanting him their is not the same as hating on him. The last thing the sport needs now that it is recognizable is to be affiliated with kid TV star's, pro wrestler's or anyone seemingly ( real or not) illegitemate IMO. He can be the greatest boxer ever, and love the sport, but " celebrity" announcer's take me back to the days of Jim Brown.. He's the greatest running back of all-time IMO , but that doen't mean he has any business calling MMA. Mike Goldberg, Ranallo just seem to be harmless announcer guys. It's the Quadros, Rogan ( knowledeable fan and Martial arts background- I don't put Lopez in this category) and former fighter's Bas/Randy who I think give MMA a better image.

and Joe Rogan is a Reality tv host for "Fear Factor"..and used to be on that show "The Man's Show"....what business does he have being a MMA commentator?

my point is you're not even giving Lopez a chance to even know if he is knowledeable on the sport..you just assume he's not....i didnt have any respect for Joe Rogan when he first started commentating for the UFC..i thought he was just an other wannabee looking for a job....but who knew he was very well knowledged in the sport and actually trains himself?
madmarck
2/12/07 8:34:46AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by hippysmacker

and Joe Rogan is a Reality tv host for "Fear Factor"..and used to be on that show "The Man's Show"....what business does he have being a MMA commentator?

my point is you're not even giving Lopez a chance to even know if he is knowledeable on the sport..you just assume he's not....i didnt have any respect for Joe Rogan when he first started commentating for the UFC..i thought he was just an other wannabee looking for a job....but who knew he was very well knowledged in the sport and actually trains himself?

Just so you know Joe Rogan is a TKD black belt and a Brown Belt in BJJ under Eddie Bravo. Not only that he ******* knows a shitload about the sport. Thats the place Rogan has. Not saying anyhting bad about Mario but he is no joe rogan. Yet.
JoeMimic
2/12/07 3:01:15PM
I read a report today that said Lopez walked out of the arena before the fights started and so he couldn't appear on the show. I'm curious to know why he left.
Svartorm
2/13/07 3:21:54AM
Maybe he got booed? Remember when they announced the NSAC folks at Pride: Real Deal, and everyone booed them? Pro Elite had a similar crowd I'd imagine.