Why do marines do so bad in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why do marines do so bad in MMA?
MMA-guy
6/21/07 12:37:05AM
I'm not trying to bad-mouth the marines corps or anything, but has anyone ever noticed that every former marine has done lousy in the UFC? Think about it, Shonie Carter, Noah Thomas, Luigi Fioravanti, Cal Worsham, Derrick Noble, Chris Price, and Steve Brynes were all once marines, and they all have losing records in the UFC.

I figured marines would be amazing in MMA, since they are trained to fight to the death. But I can't think of one ex-marine who has beeen successful in MMA. Anyone have any theories to why this is?
loller90278
6/21/07 12:42:35AM
other countries former military people have been good!

example - fedor.
ButterBalls
6/21/07 12:43:48AM
and crocop, and sergei....
ac_gi
6/21/07 12:55:33AM
The American military just started training all their soldiers in MMA for hand to hand combat. You will see more and more become successful in MMA in the future.

I think the major reason is that most gifted athletes get scholarships for wrestling etc, so the military in the U.S. is not a top option like in other countries for these athletes.

Before entering the UFC, Randy Couture served in the U.S. Army from 1982–1988. I think he is pretty good.
MMA-guy
6/21/07 1:01:43AM

Posted by ac_gi

Before entering the UFC, Randy Couture served in the U.S. Army from 1982–1988. I think he is pretty good.

That's the army....not the marines. CC, Sergei and Fedor weren't in the marines either.
ac_gi
6/21/07 1:04:21AM

Posted by PrideSucks

Posted by ac_gi

That's the army....not the marines. CC, Sergei and Fedor weren't in the marines either.

Damn, sorry bro. OK, I'll go with this...

I think the major reason is that most gifted athletes get scholarships for wrestling etc, so the military in the U.S. is not a top (or forced) option like in other countries for these athletes.
Signal2112
6/21/07 6:22:12AM
Noah seemed a bit quiet and reserved for the marines, maybe even a bit soft, I was formerly under the impression that they were a tough bunch until I saw the likes of Shonie Carter and Noah et al .
fatdevil1982
6/21/07 7:42:59AM
not all marines are exactly the same. they all have there own personalities, there is no need to stereotype them like there is no need to stereotype anyone else.

but as far as the MCMAP (Marine Corp MArtial Arts Program), its not that great, alot of it deals with very basic ground work and once you advance past the first stage of training you move on to fighting with your gear on, helmet vest ammo pounches ex...... alot deals with knife fighting, using your rifle to fight, and weapons of opportunity. so it is great for WARTIME fighting, but for profesional fighting its a little sub par.

plus the marines worked with ken shamrock to help create it
lol

but, a buddie of mine from the marines by the name of bobby mcmasters just sighned with elite xc and he is 7-1(loss due to cut)
i got big hopes for him and will deffinately watch a card with him on it
tepid55
6/21/07 12:02:21PM
Most marines come from striking backgrounds.
Stickan
6/21/07 12:34:01PM
WEC has some goofy looking marine that they'll start to promote now because he's had 4 wins in a row and is a marine.

Brian Stann. I don't like him and I hope he get's knocked TF out soon but he's been successful up until this point in his career.
AchillesHeel
6/21/07 12:50:20PM

Posted by fatdevil1982

[...]MCMAP (Marine Corp MArtial Arts Program) [...]is great for WARTIME fighting, but for profesional fighting its a little sub par.

Exactly. You don't see anybody using Krav Maga or Eskrima in MMA. They'd get themselves DQ'd in about 10 seconds...

Also, Brian Stann in the WEC is a former U.S. Marine. [EDIT: too slow]
ncordless
6/21/07 6:22:20PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by fatdevil1982

[...]MCMAP (Marine Corp MArtial Arts Program) [...]is great for WARTIME fighting, but for profesional fighting its a little sub par.

Exactly. You don't see anybody using Krav Maga or Eskrima in MMA. They'd get themselves DQ'd in about 10 seconds...

LMAO... DQ Krav Maga fighter via vicious combo of elbow strikes to the trachea and knees to the groin immediately followed by a double thumb dislocation.

ijung
6/22/07 4:57:10PM
correlation does not = causation!
madmarck
6/22/07 6:34:10PM

Posted by butterballs

and crocop, and sergei....

Cro Cop was never in the military.
He was a police officer and a member of the Croatian Anti-Terroist Unit.

Sergei is still in the army (paratroop???) i believe. Or at the very least was for much of his Pride Career.

And im pretty Sure Shonie Carter has nothing to hang his head about. That guy has a very big record in all sorts of Martial arts.