US Marine Corps ends sponsorship deal with UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » US Marine Corps ends sponsorship deal with UFC
FastKnockout
12/18/12 2:46:20PM
The United States Marine Corps have ended their sponsorship agreement with the UFC, according to a report from Stars and Stripes. The official reason given had to do with politics - members of the US Congress wanted to put an end to all military sports sponsorships.

Link
tcunningham
12/18/12 3:24:57PM
thats bullshit.
SmileR
12/18/12 3:30:57PM
Stupid move considering the amount the UFC does for the troops! Politics is the reason but it's shellfish politics and still bullshit! I've never once seen any negative press for the marines stemming from the UFC!
MMAcca
12/18/12 5:20:07PM
They don't want to be associated with the UFC ?

I'm damn sure they will still want the troops to be taught the techniques and skills that a UFC fighter posesses though.........
shaneTpain
12/18/12 6:02:44PM
rumour has it Colton Smith & Tim Kennedy were given the Marines a bad rap
Bustamante-Aoki
12/18/12 6:06:33PM
Good.

It was a waste of taxpayers money to begin with.

Does this mean we won't have to see anymore national guard ceremonies in bellator also? I hope so.

For those who are offended by this move, it has nothing to do with the UFC or its image. The government just isn't wasting money advertising anymore.

Zuffa has plenty of money an will find new sponsors without a doubt. This is a goo thing.
jay98107
12/18/12 6:11:55PM

Posted by SmileR

Stupid move considering the amount the UFC does for the troops! Politics is the reason but it's shellfish politics and still bullshit! I've never once seen any negative press for the marines stemming from the UFC!

I don't think the reason is related to the UFC, if they're ending sports sponsorships across the board. I miss the Fight for the Troops cards
Bubbles
12/18/12 7:00:32PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by SmileR

I don't think the reason is related to the UFC, if they're ending sports sponsorships across the board. I miss the Fight for the Troops cards

how many did they actually put out though? Two? I agree those were good cards but they couldn't even do one a year
warglory
12/18/12 7:18:19PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jay98107

Posted by SmileR

how many did they actually put out though? Two? I agree those were good cards but they couldn't even do one a year

I'm fairly certain you don't need a Marine sponsorship to put on a Fight For the Troops card.
Bubbles
12/18/12 7:22:53PM

Posted by warglory
I'm fairly certain you don't need a Marine sponsorship to put on a Fight For the Troops card.

You're probably right, but it wouldn't hurt putting on an annual card on FX or w/e. They are paying to have the commercials air all the time, why not hold one event a year in their honor?
prozacnation1978
12/18/12 7:27:04PM
I guess no more fight for the troops events
Chael_Sonnen
12/18/12 8:25:10PM
What's next? Harley Davidson? Good job Colton
aussiemma
12/18/12 8:41:27PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

What's next? Harley Davidson? Good job Colton

hehehe, it's all colton's fault ! I will forever dislike that guy.
Gogoplatapus
12/18/12 9:25:06PM
Sir_Karl
12/18/12 11:56:51PM
I am glad about this. I have always opposed the military sponsoring sports or advertising in sports. This is taxpayer money that is going out the window. The military does not need advertisement. Everyone knows where the local recruiting office is if they want to join up and if they don't know where the local offices are....all they have to do is open a phonebook.
jae_1833
12/19/12 1:17:30AM
I am a Marine Corps Recruiter and heard about this for months.....it's for many reasons that I am not free to really discuss. If you think we don't need to advertise though, you're crazy! This is an all volunteer service ladies and gents. The other branches are larger, better funded, and plain old easier. Our reputation is a double edged sword, and we wouldn't have it any other way. If people realised half of what I go through they would be shocked.
airkerma
12/19/12 12:08:43PM
I don't have an issue with it. I am no detractor to the military at all, but this is politics, and if our politicians are serious about cutting spending tough choices have to be made. I'd rather cut back on advertising than cut back on actual training/equipment etc.
jae_1833
12/19/12 1:10:40PM

Posted by airkerma

I don't have an issue with it. I am no detractor to the military at all, but this is politics, and if our politicians are serious about cutting spending tough choices have to be made. I'd rather cut back on advertising than cut back on actual training/equipment etc.

Absolutely! +1.......It's the way most of us see it as well, cut out the bs but not the equipment/training.