Marcus Davis unsure if Chris Lytle deserves a fight against him at UFC 93

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marcus Davis unsure if Chris Lytle deserves a fight against him at UFC 93
MMAcca
10/24/08 1:04:57PM
“I don’t mind Chris calling me out, it’s part of the game. I certainly didn’t take offense. He had warned me beforehand that he was going to do it, so I don’t consider it disrespectful or anything. I like Chris and think he is a great guy but I don’t know whether he deserves a fight against me. People always say that Chris is the ‘gatekeeper’ to our division, but I think that I am past the gate at the moment. I have spoken to a few people who have told me that they actually think Paul Taylor won that fight against Chris. I beat Paul in one round (in September 2007), so I’m just not sure. But, of course, if that is the fight that the UFC want, then I am more than happy.”

LINK
emfleek
10/24/08 1:09:07PM
NEWS FLASH: You're NOT past gatekeeper status yet, Marcus.
tuvok500
10/24/08 1:14:48PM
Lytle won that fight for sure and Davis is not much higher in the ranking, i mean davis looked good against a new young fighter but got destroyed against Swick so..

McBee
10/24/08 1:15:00PM
you beat a whole bunch of the English unknown and Lytle has shown he is a force and taken his lumps from the best in the divison and they better make this fight
Focker101
10/24/08 1:16:52PM
Yeah I would think a win against Lytle can only help your stock in the WW Division

Davis would be crazy not take take that fight
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 1:23:13PM
a win against lytle would say a lot
Especially if he finishes him....

i've wondered for a while now if lytle would ever be finished & if so who would be the one to do it

i hope Marcus isnt serious or is trying to build hype for a fight

i'd really enjoy this fight & hope it happens
The_Metal_Maniac
10/24/08 1:46:53PM
Someones afraid clearly.
coldchillin
10/24/08 1:57:26PM
Lytle is clearly on Davis' level... he can't be serious.
Naturaldisaster
10/24/08 2:00:59PM
yeah davis is on a 1 fight win streak I dont thinks really at liberty to say whether or not an opponent is good enough to face him.
MFOTHER
10/24/08 2:07:23PM
lytle is a serious fighter and veteran of the sport. Marcus must be scared.
Jackelope
10/24/08 2:36:24PM
Seriously unimpressed by this comment from Davis whom I usually hold great respect for.

Lytle has been in wars with the best. Anybody with a W over Lytle gets respect from me. He's no joke.
BigTomZ
10/24/08 3:04:25PM
Davis was seriously injured going into the Swick fight. Not that it is an excuse.

I think Lytle and Davis would be a good fight and Davis will probably win. I dont know what his problem is.
Naturaldisaster
10/24/08 3:06:06PM

Posted by BigTomZ

Davis was seriously injured going into the Swick fight. Not that it is an excuse.

I think Lytle and Davis would be a good fight and Davis will probably win. I dont know what his problem is.

I think lytle has a better ground game and I dont see him gettin Knocked out.
jiujitsufreak74
10/24/08 3:23:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

Seriously unimpressed by this comment from Davis whom I usually hold great respect for.

Lytle has been in wars with the best. Anybody with a W over Lytle gets respect from me. He's no joke.

same, i am embarrassed by what he said. especially since i am a huge fan of his. i still think Marcus would win against Lytle, but i think what he is saying is a little arrogant for my liking. he has been so respectful throughout his whole career so i'm not gonna hold this quote over his head or anything, but it still hurts to hear him act like that
wrona666
10/24/08 3:26:46PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by BigTomZ

I think lytle has a better ground game and I dont see him gettin Knocked out.

I agree i think Lytle could easily win this fight, and Davis probably realizes that so he doesnt want to take the fight.....
jiujitsufreak74
10/24/08 3:29:18PM
i just want to say this as well...to say Davis is scared of Lytle is just as naive as Marcus' comments. to question his integrity and heart because of some misguided comments is ridiculous imo. i really think it is off-based to say he is scared to fight Lytle. however, i do think Marcus is getting a little full of himself and made these comments out of arrogance, not fear.
emfleek
10/24/08 3:30:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i just want to say this as well...to say Davis is scared of Lytle is just as naive as Marcus' comments. to question his integrity and heart because of some misguided comments is ridiculous imo. i really think it is off-based to say he is scared to fight Lytle. however, i do think Marcus is getting a little full of himself and made these comments out of arrogance, not fear.

Must spread the love.

Jeez...if I spread any more love today, I'm gonna knock someone up.
TuFanboi
10/24/08 4:19:35PM
I wouldn't want this fight, simply because I think it would be hard to pick and I like both these guys. Though it is foolish for marcus to assume that he's past the "Lytle hump."
Jackelope
10/24/08 4:36:22PM
Another thing- I do believe Marcus would win this fight, but it would be impressive if he could finish a guy who has never been finished in nearly 50 MMA fights. Sure he's got a couple stoppages due to cut, but he's never been KO'd or submitted once. That's very impressive. And he's fought top flight competition throughout his entire career.

Davis definitely has something to gain from taking a fight against Lytle and I'm sure the context of this quote isn't the whole story.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/24/08 4:47:02PM
I agree with most of ya in saying this would be a good fight and a worthy fight for both fighters whoever wins.
bullettdodger
10/24/08 5:34:18PM
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said, statement from Davis really doesn't make too much sense seeing how he was just recently knocked back down the ladder...
Gipper
10/24/08 7:13:42PM
other then maybe thiago alves (who lytle did go toe to toe with for 2 rounds) will be the toughest and best fighter davis will fight. davis should be honored to step into the octagon with a real life hero and a seasoned vet who in my mind is one of the best ww's in the world-chris lytle.
quezocrema0032
10/24/08 8:06:57PM
wat i dont like is davis commenting on how taylor got finished in the 1st by him and how people think taylor won the fight with davis .... what he left out is taylor had him in more trouble then he ever had lytle ... and lytle clearly won that fight ... i never liked how cocky davis was and for what ? beating jason tan ? ... forrest petz ? jess liaudin ? ... i hope lytle ko's him ... doubt it tho
Ben_Hutch
10/24/08 8:12:08PM

Posted by McBee

you [Marcus] beat a whole bunch of the English unknown

But that's just not true.
kaduey
10/24/08 8:39:19PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

wat i dont like is davis commenting on how taylor got finished in the 1st by him and how people think taylor won the fight with davis .... what he left out is taylor had him in more trouble then he ever had lytle ... and lytle clearly won that fight ... i never liked how cocky davis was and for what ? beating jason tan ? ... forrest petz ? jess liaudin ? ... i hope lytle ko's him ... doubt it tho

Davis forgets that he got dropped by Paul Taylor, which turned into him pulling off the sub from his back. I don't think he has a right to compare his fight with Taylor to Lytle's. Second, Lytle haas fought some of the best in mma past and present and always fairs pretty well, I'm still not convinced on Davis.
MMAcca
10/25/08 3:05:44AM
He's not even Irish....................
sparky
10/25/08 1:28:25PM
Im just shocked Davis said that to be honest. Lytle has fought way tougher competition. Davis should look at fighting Lytle as an honor. "Lytle called me out like wow Lytle recongizes me and hes fought some of the best".
randompunter
10/25/08 3:02:07PM
I am going to ufc93 and i would love to see this fight however i do agree with Davis. Lytle may have faced tougher competition but hes never beaten any top ranked guys at the end of the day both guys are never gona be champ so the should have no qualms about fighting, but im guessing Davis who is 35 and still believes he can be champ has never fought any top competition and that who he needs to beat to get a shot at the belt. I think a fight with diego/karo is what hes after.
haggiswashere
10/25/08 7:41:42PM
they both are such fun fighters and would easily get a fight of the night