Marcus Davis Talks Money

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marcus Davis Talks Money
MMAcca
1/6/09 4:47:57PM
There is a common conception that boxers are better paid than MMA fighters. According to Marcus Davis this is not the case.

“That isn't really true. I had 24 pro boxing matches and have made much, much more in MMA than I did in boxing and I have an equal amount of fights. Now the big stars in boxing make a ridiculous amount but the under card guys aren’t making what I make when I fight as an under card on a UFC event. I switched to MMA because of many reasons - one being I loved the sport and was tired of being burned in boxing.”

LINK
Jim_Dangle
1/6/09 4:54:37PM
He didn't make money in boxing because he wasn't good enough.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=19438&cat=boxer

I'm not bashing him, just telling the truth. I'm glad he's making money and I think he's better suited for MMA.
MMAcca
1/6/09 4:56:32PM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

I'm not bashing him, just telling the truth. I'm glad he's making money and I think he's better suited for MMA.

He's talking about how the difference in boxing and MMA purses is not as great as people think.

He says that he makes more on an MMA undercard than he did on a boxing undercard
bustin_mma
1/6/09 5:22:32PM
Mabye MMA fighters are makeing more money on a UFC undercard than a boxing undercard, But that is not the case for MMA in general.
MMAcca
1/6/09 5:32:23PM

Posted by bustin_mma

Mabye MMA fighters are makeing more money on a UFC undercard than a boxing undercard, But that is not the case for MMA in general.

I'm not so sure. At UFC 92, seven fighters were paid over $100,000.

Does this happen often/at all on boxing cards ?
Jim_Dangle
1/6/09 5:44:59PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Jim_Dangle

He's talking about how the difference in boxing and MMA purses is not as great as people think.

He says that he makes more on an MMA undercard than he did on a boxing undercard

Huh? Sounds to me like Davis is clearly pointing out how much more he's made on UFC undercards than boxing undercards.
MMAcca
1/6/09 5:47:32PM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Huh? Sounds to me like Davis is clearly pointing out how much more he's made on UFC undercards than boxing undercards.

I know. That's what i said
jiujitsufreak74
1/6/09 6:55:20PM
to clear up some misunderstandings Davis is using his own personal experiences and his knowledge of other fighter's salaries to come to the conclusion that MMA fighters aren't as poorly payed when compared to boxing as people think. the salaries in boxing are much more skewed and i wouldn't doubt it if the average under card MMA fighter made more per fight than the average under card boxer.
Gipper
1/6/09 7:01:24PM
davis better start to worry more about chris lytle because lights out is going to knock his head off in a couple weeks
loller90278
1/6/09 7:38:55PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by bustin_mma

yeah but ufc 92 was the star studded card. if a boxing card had cotto,margarito, mosley, pacquiao, de la hoya, etc

im sure they would make much more
Gladiator
1/6/09 8:18:03PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by bustin_mma

yeah but ufc 92 was the star studded card. if a boxing card had cotto,margarito, mosley, pacquiao, de la hoya, etc

im sure they would make much more

possibily, but what if wanderlei had been clubbed with a frozen fish before his fight and nog had slipped on a bannana peel. Did u think about that? huh? did u?
texuspete00
1/6/09 10:26:37PM

He didn't make money in boxing because he wasn't good enough. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=19438&cat=boxer I'm not bashing him, just telling the truth. I'm glad he's making money and I think he's better suited for MMA.

Yeah that's not bashing at all. The guy had 1 loss. I'm sure you've seen a bunch of those fights. I bet the red marks confused you.

We know how well you evaluate fighters, what with your impressive playground record and all.
BigTomZ
1/7/09 8:48:14AM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

What are you talking about? He was 17-1-1 as a pro boxer. He was pretty close to being a ranked Welterweight. He also won some fights at Super Welterweight. He only lost a fight when he moved up to take a fight at Super Middleweight, 3 weight classes above his natural weight class. Until that point he was undefeated. It is tough for a talented young boxer to reach the national stage, and there is a limit to the competition level you can find in the local pool.