Marcus Davis says "Whoever takes it to the ground first is a p***y"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Marcus Davis says "Whoever takes it to the ground first is a p***y"
« Previous Page
ToeZup
1/14/09 10:30:15AM
Normally I would look at a statement like that and think to myself, that's a crap way of trying to keep the fight on the feet but Marcus has a great ground game too so I don't know, maybe he's thinking FOTN fighting a guy like Chris. I don't care where the fight ends up it will be a good one regardless.
The_Italian_Stallion
1/14/09 12:03:07PM
That actually makes me laugh out loud... I just saw his Paul Kelly fight on UFC Unleashed last night and guess who shot in on Paul Kelly in the first minute of the fight???

Marcus Davis... I used to really like this guy but his recent statements are leaving me a little less than impressed with him.

It's all about gameplans, however he can win by whatever...

It's a good thing Chris Lytle is going to win though...
jiujitsufreak74
1/14/09 5:29:07PM
it's still funny to me that people are taking this to heart. what happened when Chris Lytle first came out and said this exact same thing? it is all just mind games. Marcus obviously knows this isn't boxing (i hate it so much when i read that garbage) and he has a very solid ground game. he is just following suit with Chris when Chris said there was a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing. people just love to hate on fighters i guess...
Jackelope
1/14/09 5:35:22PM

Posted by Aether

I don't find this any less disrespectful than Palhares saying Henderson was afraid to take the fight to the ground, personally. I'm surprised to hear some of the people defending this statement who also criticized Palhares for his statement. In my mind they're almost completely identical statements. I guess you can say it's just to hype the fight, but the comment is essentially the same.

I'm with JJFreak on this one. Both guys are just posturing and trying to build a lot of hype around this fight. It's been that way since the beginning when Lytle called Davis out. I've seen more quotes about this fight than I have for GSP vs. BJ. Honestly.

The main difference between this and the Palhares comment is that this is coming before the fight. Palhares' comments came after the fight. Now, if Davis should lose because Lytle took it to the ground and then complain about the fact, then by all means I'll be the first one to get critical. However, I think this all has to deal with building hype because both fighters want to be FOTN guys.

Honestly, I like both guys a lot and I think it is all talk.
EvenFlow
1/14/09 5:42:30PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

it's still funny to me that people are taking this to heart. what happened when Chris Lytle first came out and said this exact same thing? it is all just mind games. Marcus obviously knows this isn't boxing (i hate it so much when i read that garbage) and he has a very solid ground game. he is just following suit with Chris when Chris said there was a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing. people just love to hate on fighters i guess...

I was just starting a topic about some things Marcus said in an interview on UFC.com, I have no feelings either way in this fight tbh and if I started a s**t-storm in your eyes sorry, I just hope this fight is exciting as do the rest of us.

I can see how people dont like him and you should too, I can see reasons why my favorites might get critisized even things I might not like too and maybe I agree or disagree but I'm not gonna call their posts garbage for having an opinion of character. Just a thought man.
jiujitsufreak74
1/14/09 5:50:27PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I was just starting a topic about some things Marcus said in an interview on UFC.com, I have no feelings either way in this fight tbh and if I started a s**t-storm in your eyes sorry, I just hope this fight is exciting as do the rest of us.

I can see how people dont like him and you should too, I can see reasons why my favorites might get critisized even things I might not like too and maybe I agree or disagree but I'm not gonna call their posts garbage for having an opinion of character. Just a thought man.

hey np man i wasn't mad at this topic at all (it was a quote and you reported it) i was just illustrating my frustration with the hypocrisy of people hating on Marcus but not on Chris just for comments trying to hype of the fight. and to me, those posts that Marcus Davis still thinks this is boxing are in fact garbage. i can't stand seeing something that is so invalid on these forums, especially since Marcus is one of my favorite fighters and i have talked to him many times about this exact incident. it gets frustrating to see people say a fighter is one dimensional when he dedicates his time (time away from his family) to prove the exact opposite.
gsquat
1/14/09 5:52:31PM
This has got fight of the night written all over it. After seeing Lytle's war with Taylor and the hits he was able to take, I can't go against him. I see him pulling a Clementi and going on a pretty good streak for a vet.
NatedawgThaM
1/15/09 7:01:26PM

Posted by ChokeUout

Posted by EvenFlow

Interview including how he feels on this fight and aparently isnt a lover of the grappling or the ground.

LINK

Someone should tell Marcus this is MMA not boxing.

Yeah, He's been saying this from day one, saying that he wants to give an exciting fight so he wants to stand up. Personally, I love a great stand up fight as much as the next guy, but I LOATHE the stereotype that only stand up fights are exciting. THe thing about this fight is that both Davis and Lytle are very well rounded, so that if he went to the ground it'd be just as exciting, if not more so. Plus, if Lytle gets him to the ground and chokes him out, I seriously doubt he'll mind if Davis calls him a Pussy.

Damn right. His fight with Paul Taylor hit the ground and that was one of the greatest 1 round fights I've ever seen. Both are all around fast paced fighters so no matter what this is fight of the night IMO.

Just got Lytle koing him in 2 since he wants to be on the feet, I think he'll eat his words.
Pages: 1 [2]