Marcus Davis want Gomi!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Marcus Davis want Gomi!!!
blkssncpt
6/20/07 1:03:38PM
I just watched the post fight interview with Marcus Davis on ufc.com and he said "now that we have Pride i want Gomi, i'v said this before and now i might be able to get it, I think it would be a good fight". well i think i might be to and i lke davis but i would favor gomi a little more, either way i wouldnt mind seeing this fight go down... Anyone else???
Mastodon2
6/20/07 1:24:57PM
I'd love to see this fight, I havnt seen Gomi trash anyone in a while now. After his off night against Diaz I think he will come back on fire and destroy whoever they put him up against. I just dont think Davis has anything in his arsenal to combat Gomi effectively, should be a good win for Gomi if it happens.
cowcatcher
6/20/07 1:41:43PM
poor silly marcus davis, he beats a few guys in a row and starts calling out the big boys. i dont see him lasting long with gomi, i really dont think hes near gomis level, but you have to give the guy credit for wanting to fight top level competition
Rush
6/20/07 2:31:28PM
Diaz beats Gomi and now everyone seems to want to fight Gomi. lol
KYGUY07
6/20/07 3:16:31PM
davis has heavy hands, but gomi would put him away quickly, Gomi losses one fight, and now everyone thinks they can beat him. They should make this fight so davis can realize es not in gomis league.
Stickan
6/20/07 3:56:48PM
Gomi would be a fool to stand with Davis. Davis is the better stand-up fighter. Whether Gomi has beaten better competition and is ranked way higher doesn't matter. Davis would be a bad match-up for Gomi.
I don't think Gomi could "Haiduken-punch" a boxer like Davis into unconciousness.

I think it would be a matter of IF Gomi could swallow his pride, realize that he's outmatched on the feet and actually bring the fight to the mat where he could submit Davis.

If I were to pick on this match-up I'd watch a lot of pre-fight interviews with Gomi and see what mindstate he's in.
He's not exactly known to be the most humble person.
MattHughes
6/20/07 4:12:00PM
exactly, I'd take Davis in this fight
Ydoc
6/20/07 4:49:55PM

Posted by Stickan

Gomi would be a fool to stand with Davis. Davis is the better stand-up fighter. Whether Gomi has beaten better competition and is ranked way higher doesn't matter. Davis would be a bad match-up for Gomi.
I don't think Gomi could "Haiduken-punch" a boxer like Davis into unconciousness.

I think it would be a matter of IF Gomi could swallow his pride, realize that he's outmatched on the feet and actually bring the fight to the mat where he could submit Davis.

If I were to pick on this match-up I'd watch a lot of pre-fight interviews with Gomi and see what mindstate he's in.

Bingo. Plus, if that's at 170 Gomi loses some size. Not sure how good Marcus' guard is since he's been always the guy on top in the last few fights, but I'd still take him in that fight.
Signal2112
6/20/07 5:41:10PM
Despite everyone wanting a piece of the Gomi pie, I don't think Davis has anywhere near amount of skill it would take for him to beat his would-be oppenent. Would be good to watch him getting knocked about for a bit though!
loller90278
6/20/07 5:51:41PM
wow, i can't believe ANYBODY would ever pick davis, but even on this thread we already have a few.

marcus davis will always be a B fighter while gomi is the #1 LW in the world.
Northrend
6/20/07 5:56:24PM

Posted by Stickan

Eh, I remember when Jen's fought Gomi everyone said how Jen's would destroy Gomi with good boxing. Marcus might be the better technical boxer but Gomi has probably the heaviest hands in all 155..1 of the best chins at 155 and will most likely connect with that huge punch. With that said if I was Gomi I would still take it to the ground because he could probably finish it faster/without as much trouble. If Gomi shows up like he did against Diaz cardio wise I don't know who would win though.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/20/07 6:00:41PM

Posted by Stickan

I agree with you once again!

some people here dont know anything about match-ups....

Davis is the pro boxer....his stand up is much better than Gomi's ever will

Davis 1st R KO
rameydl8
6/20/07 6:11:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

poor silly marcus davis, he beats a few guys in a row and starts calling out the big boys. i dont see him lasting long with gomi, i really dont think hes near gomis level, but you have to give the guy credit for wanting to fight top level competition

i give him credit for wanting better competition but he would get ambarassed
gutoo
6/20/07 6:12:29PM
some guys dont know gomi chin if davis is a better stand up guy, gomi has better wrestling and can put him down and KO him by GNP
davis is talking a lot he needs to beat a top first
Stickan
6/20/07 6:28:43PM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by Stickan

Eh, I remember when Jen's fought Gomi everyone said how Jen's would destroy Gomi with good boxing. Marcus might be the better technical boxer but Gomi has probably the heaviest hands in all 155..1 of the best chins at 155 and will most likely connect with that huge punch. With that said if I was Gomi I would still take it to the ground because he could probably finish it faster/without as much trouble. If Gomi shows up like he did against Diaz cardio wise I don't know who would win though.

Davis is a better and more seasoned boxer than Jens Pulver. Marcus pro record is 17-1-2 where as Pulver's only 4-0 and his opponents combined record is 4-4. Not a lot of experience there.

Size was also a big factor in the Pulver - Gomi fight. Jens is a natural 145er.
Davis will probably be bigger than Gomi come fight time. He looked huge at UFC 72.

I agree that Gomi CAN take the fight to the ground and would probably win there but the question still remains; would he try to go for a takedown?
Even the japanese has referred to him as something along the lines of not the sharpest knife in the drawer and he doesn't seem like a very gameplanning fighter.
I think the win would be there for him to take in this fight, I just doubt he'd see it.
Mastodon2
6/20/07 6:36:24PM
Davis might be a pro boxer, but Ive never seen anything from him that suggests he really has any hand skill, he seems to just be another C class MMA fighter. Gomi on the other hand is razor sharp, his chin is amazing for a small guy and he hits damn hard too, just get your Shockwave 2004 dvd out, look on the bonus features disc and look at Pulvers face at the post event conference, he looks like he has been hit with a meat tenderising hammer!

Gomi is supposed to be a good wrestler too, he could probably take Davis down if he wanted too, and control him on the ground.
babalu2720
6/20/07 9:28:15PM
I like marcus and i know he is a boxer, but i just cant see him winning this fight. Gomi should take him down and control it from there. I think Marcus has a bright future but hes not ready for Gomi. He does however need a stepup in competition
hippysmacker
6/20/07 9:36:39PM
To me it's not even a question of whether or not Davis can beat Gomi. It's a question of has he earned the right to fight someone of Gomi's caliber. If he beats a someone near the bottom of the top 10 than he might be considered in contention for a title shot IMO.
rcg916
6/20/07 9:57:02PM

Posted by Stickan

Dead on.
loller90278
6/21/07 12:53:54AM
if this fight every comes, i'd be willing to bet the house on gomi. i believe davis has 0% chance.

just watch a gomi highlight if ur too lazy to know who he is
Signal2112
6/21/07 6:57:19AM

Posted by loller90278

marcus davis will always be a B fighter while gomi is the #1 LW in the world.

He'll be lucky if he ever gets to B class, he needs better opponents.