Marcus Davis is going to float and sting against Paul Kelly at UFC 89

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marcus Davis is going to float and sting against Paul Kelly at UFC 89
MMAcca
10/3/08 1:50:50PM
“I think his plan will be to throw big thumping punches to get me to clinch with him, I’m just not gonna do it…. I’ve got the longer reach, I’m an inch taller, I’m gonna smash him with jabs, he’s gonna reach for me, I’m gonna move. Every time he drops his head I’m gonna smash him with an uppercut and every time he straightens up I’m gonna smash him with punches. He’s gonna be chasing me around the ring, every time he swings I won’t be there. I can not only hit hard coming forward, I can hit hard on the slide. A lot of people have a tough time punching hard on the move, but that’s all I’ve been working on in this camp. I’ve just been working on throwing bombs while on the move. It’s gonna be a frustrating fight for him, I’m gonna catch every time he reaches, every time he gets desperate, he’ll be chasing as I lead the fight and that’s when I’ll finish it.”

LINK
4u2nv
10/3/08 1:52:46PM
hahahaha maybe he should start working on some BJJ! instead of smashing fists of fury. Its almost make it or break it time for Mr Davis. I can see him winning this with a good game plan and no attempts for him to be subbed.
wrona666
10/3/08 2:08:57PM
This should be a war.....I like Davis, but i think im going with Kelly on this one.....The guy has a solid chin, and throws some bombs....
jiujitsufreak74
10/3/08 2:30:32PM
i cannot wait for this fight. this should be like Kelly vs Taylor only an even bigger stand-up battle. if Marcus can keep his composure and pick Kelly apart he is going to win this one late in the first. he just has to avoid the brawl scenario and watch for those leg trips that Kelly goes for during exchanges. even as a Marcus Davis nuthugger i will admit Kelly has a good chance of winning this fight, i just think Davis will sue his technical stand-up and improved grappling game to overcome the exciting Brit. regardless of the outcome i like to watch both of these guys fight
nickcuc547
10/3/08 5:27:28PM

Posted by wrona666

This should be a war.....I like Davis, but i think im going with Kelly on this one.....The guy has a solid chin, and throws some bombs....

agree with the assessment but not the outcome, both of these guys are talented strikers, especially with their hands, and neither guy minds taking a shot to get one. both guys have a solid, aggressive ground game too. i think davis is a little quicker and that will be the difference.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/3/08 7:01:54PM
I'm going with Davis but by taking it to the ground and winning by sub
xtra_chewy
10/3/08 7:34:54PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by wrona666

agree with the assessment but not the outcome, both of these guys are talented strikers, especially with their hands, and neither guy minds taking a shot to get one. both guys have a solid, aggressive ground game too. i think davis is a little quicker and that will be the difference.

I agree, I also agreed with you on your Diaz post a couple days ago as well...
I was going to write the same thing on both posts.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/3/08 9:23:51PM
I hope they give marcus stiffer competition in the future. aside from his fight with swick , he hasn't faced any true contenders.
Wolfenstein
10/4/08 3:30:55AM
This is a contender or pretender match for both fighters. Marcus was on a six fight win streak before he ran in to Mike Swick. I personally think despite Marcus Davis's success in the octagon; that he is a gatekeeper. He's 3 5 now and he has just really reached his ceiling. I think this match is about whether Paul Taylor is going to be a gatekeeper or he's going to move on to better things.

At this point in their respective career's I think Marcus Davis is at his peak and Taylor still has room to grow. Right now Marcus is probably the better fight, but I could see Taylor eventually progressing into a "Marcus Davius". Marcus should get back on the winning track with this fight. Avoid the trips and stick and move.
MMAcca
10/4/08 6:35:40AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

This is a contender or pretender match for both fighters. Marcus was on a six fight win streak before he ran in to Mike Swick. I personally think despite Marcus Davis's success in the octagon; that he is a gatekeeper. He's 3 5 now and he has just really reached his ceiling. I think this match is about whether Paul Taylor is going to be a gatekeeper or he's going to move on to better things.

At this point in their respective career's I think Marcus Davis is at his peak and Taylor still has room to grow. Right now Marcus is probably the better fight, but I could see Taylor eventually progressing into a "Marcus Davius". Marcus should get back on the winning track with this fight. Avoid the trips and stick and move.

Paul Taylor is facing Chris Lytle.

It's Paul Kelly who's fighting Marcus Davis.

Chieftan1997
10/4/08 10:12:33AM
hahahaha maybe he should start working on some BJJ! instead of smashing fists of fury. Its almost make it or break it time for Mr Davis. I can see him winning this with a good game plan and no attempts for him to be subbed.

Marcus has lost one fight against a tough opponent so how is it make or break time? And just so you know Marcus works his BJJ all the time that's why he's won most of his fights lately by sub. Check your facts before you make some stupid comment.
WrestlersAssassin
10/4/08 7:51:36PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

I hope they give marcus stiffer competition in the future. aside from his fight with swick , he hasn't faced any true contenders.

Alves