Who Should Marcus Davis Fight Next?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who Should Marcus Davis Fight Next?
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 7:21:30PM
he's rumored for UFC 85 according to mmajunkie.com but at this point who should he fight? possibly a top 10 or 20? matt hughes is a possible fight if he isnt retired or waiting to see if serra beats st pierre again, the winner of karo / alves could fight him, if diego stays at WW he could be an opponent, do you think they'll give him another "easy win"? or give him a step up in competition, since i see fitch getting the winner of serra/gsp 2 hes not really a consideration for me at this point, it wouldnt be suprising if they brought over some top talent from a different org. to fight him, marcus has a decent chance of getting a title shot someday if he stays on the winning track and the best way for him to do this imo is to fight a top 10 now
Gipper
2/23/08 7:33:54PM
CHRIS LYTLE
juanez13
2/23/08 7:39:52PM
they way i see it right now is depending on who is next in line for the title, which i actually believe will be karo, he has been saying alot for some time now, and its all that it just talk, but right now his next opponent being thiago alves, i belive that with this fight he will be next in line, i think fitch deserves it a little bit more, but you cant argue alves is a more legitimate contender than fitchs next opponent chris wilson. i doubt that fitch coming off a win over a new comer will put him up for the title. Granted that this is with karo being the winnner, if alves win, i'd still say he gets the title shot, but things might change since fitch already beat alves..................so as for marcus next opponent i'd say is between karo(or alves)/fitch, whomever doesnt get the title shot.

i think matt hughes will wait and see what happens with GSP/serra, if GSP wins, i think he'll look to get this fight.
TimW001
2/23/08 7:56:13PM
I'de like to see him fight Karo or soemone ranked higher.
Pookie
2/23/08 8:46:37PM
Chris Lytle or Thiago Alves
Tein_Lung
2/23/08 9:12:33PM

Posted by Gipper

CHRIS LYTLE

i agree lytle is a great test... lytle is a complete fighter.. and i think he would tool davis
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 9:17:08PM
i wouldnt mind seeing guillard move back up to WW and seeing them go at it again
Jackelope
2/23/08 10:33:03PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i wouldnt mind seeing guillard move back up to WW and seeing them go at it again

I wouldn't mind it either, but Guillard doesn't deserve this fight at all, IMO.

Chris Lytle is where I put my money. Matt Hughes made him look like a can, but Lytle is a great fighter
Tein_Lung
2/23/08 11:43:29PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i would hate to see that fight.. simply becase i don't like cry baby fighters like Melvin... he had Climinits nuts put on the back of his head for a reason... its saying your punk ass doesn't belong in the UFC... Clementi is a gatekeeper for LW and mervin got tolled like a school boy in that fight
mrkennedy
2/23/08 11:45:57PM
Jonathan Goulet,Chris Lytle,Luigi Fiorahdhdhdh,Dustin Hazelet,Paul Kelly,Karo Parisyan and Ryo Chonan.

I think chris lytle will be the best oppenent.
candynuts
2/23/08 11:51:01PM
Where is Chonan at? He needs to get a fight in. But I dont think it should be against Davis.

Chris Lytle makes for a great fight!

Also, have Chonan fight Paul Kelley/or Paul Taylor
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 12:06:13AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by Gipper

CHRIS LYTLE

i agree lytle is a great test... lytle is a complete fighter.. and i think he would tool davis

and i think you are mentally challenged. i am obviously bias, but even so i think this is a bad match up for lytle. both of them like to stand and bang, and marcus definitely has the punching advantage. as was illustrated with his fight with thiago, lytle likes to come out and swing punch for punch. if he does this, marcus will drop him in the first round. lytle isn't the same kind of puncher davis is and i think marcus definitely has a punching advantage. marcus is also incorporating his kickboxing as well and look to see him use those kicks more. he told me he plans to utilize his kicks mor ein the octagon to set up his hands as he did against the joker and i see marcus and lytle coming out and just brawling with each other. even if lytle chooses to take this to the ground, marcus has been working grappling non-stop since TUF 2 and his JJ is looking better and better. as he displayed in his fight against paul taylor he is very resourceful off his back and jorge gurgel is really teaching him a lot of techniques on the ground that will only solidify his MMA game. i say that marcus has at least a level playing field if not an advantage on the ground, and standing up i would give him the edge too. i just can't see how lytle wins unless he opens up one of the many cuts on marcus' face. i say marcus takes this one with a 1st round KO, stylistically i just think this is bad for lytle
BlazinSaddle
2/24/08 12:29:55AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by Gipper

CHRIS LYTLE

and i think you are mentally challenged. i am obviously bias, but even so i think this is a bad match up for lytle. both of them like to stand and bang, and marcus definitely has the punching advantage. as was illustrated with his fight with thiago, lytle likes to come out and swing punch for punch. if he does this, marcus will drop him in the first round. lytle isn't the same kind of puncher davis is and i think marcus definitely has a punching advantage. marcus is also incorporating his kickboxing as well and look to see him use those kicks more. he told me he plans to utilize his kicks mor ein the octagon to set up his hands as he did against the joker and i see marcus and lytle coming out and just brawling with each other. even if lytle chooses to take this to the ground, marcus has been working grappling non-stop since TUF 2 and his JJ is looking better and better. as he displayed in his fight against paul taylor he is very resourceful off his back and jorge gurgel is really teaching him a lot of techniques on the ground that will only solidify his MMA game. i say that marcus has at least a level playing field if not an advantage on the ground, and standing up i would give him the edge too. i just can't see how lytle wins unless he opens up one of the many cuts on marcus' face. i say marcus takes this one with a 1st round KO, stylistically i just think this is bad for lytle

well Lytle hasnt been KO'd and has faced arguably better strikers including Alves who beat Davis via a split decision, Lawler who couldnt really hurt Lytle, Spratt who got RNC'd after trying his best against Lytle, Riggs who coudlnt KO him chris either, and yes even Serra who also gave chris a great fight

if they were to fight id say it goes to a decision, for who? good question, and unlike you (who says has a bias opinion) i would not have any idea who wins that fight, i think you should not nuthug on Davis, not because hes not a great fighter but id say Lytle's chin is better than Davis's and overall Lytle has alot over Davis like experience and the ground game, your blatently hugging on Davis which is perfectly okay but seriously to say that Davis is gonna run over Lytle in the first is crazy nuthugging (not saying Davis cant but come on)
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 12:38:11AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

well Lytle hasnt been KO'd and has faced arguably better strikers including Alves who beat Davis via a split decision, Lawler who couldnt really hurt Lytle, Spratt who got RNC'd after trying his best against Lytle, Riggs who coudlnt KO him chris either, and yes even Serra who also gave chris a great fight

if they were to fight id say it goes to a decision, for who? good question, and unlike you (who says has a bias opinion) i would not have any idea who wins that fight, i think you should not nuthug on Davis, not because hes not a great fighter but id say Lytle's chin is better than Davis's and overall Lytle has alot over Davis like experience and the ground game, your blatently hugging on Davis which is perfectly okay but seriously to say that Davis is gonna run over Lytle in the first is crazy nuthugging (not saying Davis cant but come on)

well i see where you are coming from, but it is just the way i see it. i see it going exactly like the lytle / alves fight where they wil both come out and bang. ony difference is, that i feel that marcus has better hands and will put a hurting on lytle. lytle does have a great chin, but he hasn't faced any one with that punching power. marcus also has an excellent chin and you seem to be overlooking it. he was a professional boxer and he has never really been KOed on the feet (his loss was from a cut) and i can't see lytle KOing him. you say that pete spratt is a better striker, i disagree. lawler is a banger, but he is not a technically powerful striker like davis. i also think that if davis and alves had their rematch, davis would win since i feel he has improved the most since then. i actually wrote a good analysis on a davis vs alves fight were it too happen and i logically point out reasons why i feel davis would win. just because i think he will win in the first doesn't mean i think he will run over him. i think it will be a great exchange in the first round and it will just see davis with the win. again i am biased, but to say it is crazy is illogical as well. i just feel that stylisitcally, this plays out badly for lytle. as for the ground game i feel they are about even enough to make sure that there won't be a submission, at least not a simple one. i just can't see davis losing this one, just stylistically it is in his favor. he has arguably the strongest punch in the WW division and lytle hasn't been tested against that yet.
roger
2/24/08 12:47:10AM
have to go with everyone else and say Chris Lytle that would be a good fight
BlazinSaddle
2/24/08 12:50:05AM
slight advantage to davis on the feet, sure both have chins but lytle has so fought strikers just as good and his chin is a bit better regardless of davis's boxing career, paul taylor pretty much had him if he had GnP in his arsenal, lytle hasnt even come close to being KO'd that ive ever seen, his chin is better, and he does have the advantage on the ground regardless of davis's improved ground game, if this fight happened davis would want no part of the ground and lytle wouldnt have a chin check fight because hes lost decisions like that before, sure lytle can be KO'd but this is actually a bad matchup for davis because its not just boxing its mma, also lytle has a better clinch/wrestling game so davis is gonna need that KO or a standing decision (the decision is most likely for this fight)

but to be honest id much rather see how he can matchup to a top 10 like karo or koscheck, who have decisive power advantages and would probably submit or get GnP victories, idk until i see marcus with a dynamic ground game or clinch game he wont offer much against fitch or gsp or karo, not to bag on davis but hes got an uphill battle from here on getting in the top 10 just recently
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 12:54:53AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

slight advantage to davis on the feet, sure both have chins but lytle has so fought strikers just as good and his chin is a bit better regardless of davis's boxing career, paul taylor pretty much had him if he had GnP in his arsenal, lytle hasnt even come close to being KO'd that ive ever seen, his chin is better, and he does have the advantage on the ground regardless of davis's improved ground game, if this fight happened davis would want no part of the ground and lytle wouldnt have a chin check fight because hes lost decisions like that before, sure lytle can be KO'd but this is actually a bad matchup for davis because its not just boxing its mma, also lytle has a better clinch/wrestling game so davis is gonna need that KO or a standing decision (the decision is most likely for this fight)

but to be honest id much rather see how he can matchup to a top 10 like karo or koscheck, who have decisive power advantages and would probably submit or get GnP victories, idk until i see marcus with a dynamic ground game or clinch game he wont offer much against fitch or gsp or karo, not to bag on davis but hes got an uphill battle from here on getting in the top 10 just recently

your viewpoint is respectable, i see where you are coming from but i just disagree. i guess we will just wait to see who is next opponent is and if it is lytle i guess we can just watch the fight to see whop wins. btw, if you didn't know paul taylor is a pro kickboxer so he is also a very skilled striker, plus the consensus is that davis is the most pwerful puncher in the division. also, for informational purposes, marcus was considered to be the #1 fighter in his weight class in the New England circuit which is a branch of pro boxing. i don't see lytle using the wrestling and just coming out like he did against thiago. i believe that he thinks he would have won against thiago if it weren't for the cut and based on his last fight i see him doing the same thing once again. and, when he does, he will be eating the most powerful punches in the WW division...just something to think about.
BlazinSaddle
2/24/08 1:03:52AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

your viewpoint is respectable, i see where you are coming from but i just disagree. i guess we will just wait to see who is next opponent is and if it is lytle i guess we can just watch the fight to see whop wins. btw, if you didn't know paul taylor is a pro kickboxer so he is also a very skilled striker, plus the consensus is that davis is the most pwerful puncher in the division. also, for informational purposes, marcus was considered to be the #1 fighter in his weight class in the New England circuit which is a branch of pro boxing. i don't see lytle using the wrestling and just coming out like he did against thiago. i believe that he thinks he would have won against thiago if it weren't for the cut and based on his last fight i see him doing the same thing once again. and, when he does, he will be eating the most powerful punches in the WW division...just something to think about.

well i think you saw what i wrote about lytle not having a chin check fight (like the alves fight) yeah i knew of taylors and davis's credentials but i said he could have finished davis if he had GnP skills (like tito's per say) to be honest with you i dont know who i would pick but lytle would definatly take this to the ground knowing the power of davis, i cant get over the alves / davis fight, davis was mostly a striker at the time but it was very evenly matched (you should find that fight) and lytle was beating alves when alves had improved tenfold in the past year, now that i think about it lytle was going to win that fight if it kept going the way it was, i want karo/davis or alves/davis 2 the most tho, i kinda want to see davis do well and to me lytle is a bad matchup cus of the ground game which is basically 60-70% of mma
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 1:09:14AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

well i think you saw what i wrote about lytle not having a chin check fight (like the alves fight) yeah i knew of taylors and davis's credentials but i said he could have finished davis if he had GnP skills (like tito's per say) to be honest with you i dont know who i would pick but lytle would definatly take this to the ground knowing the power of davis, i cant get over the alves / davis fight, davis was mostly a striker at the time but it was very evenly matched (you should find that fight) and lytle was beating alves when alves had improved tenfold in the past year, now that i think about it lytle was going to win that fight if it kept going the way it was, i want karo/davis or alves/davis 2 the most tho, i kinda want to see davis do well and to me lytle is a bad matchup cus of the ground game which is basically 60-70% of mma

im just going to let you know that i have seen every single Marcus Davis fight, MMA and in boxing, including the split decision loss to alves. now, as much as alves has improved, i think that davis has improved even more. just look how much better he has gotten since TUF 2. he is revitalized, in a new camp and has solid training. i am actually interested to see if i am right about him and lytle because i am not going to pretend that my word is law. so i would like to see how he does against the gate keeper in lytle...and if he passes that test then give him karo or alves again. don't get me wrong, i would love it if the UFC gave him a contender, but i think it is best to test him out against lytle first. either way it will be exciting and i have high hopes for davis in the future...just look at my signature
BlazinSaddle
2/24/08 1:21:32AM

im just going to let you know that i have seen every single Marcus Davis fight, MMA and in boxing, including the split decision loss to alves. now, as much as alves has improved, i think that davis has improved even more. just look how much better he has gotten since TUF 2. he is revitalized, in a new camp and has solid training. i am actually interested to see if i am right about him and lytle because i am not going to pretend that my word is law. so i would like to see how he does against the gate keeper in lytle...and if he passes that test then give him karo or alves again. don't get me wrong, i would love it if the UFC gave him a contender, but i think it is best to test him out against lytle first. either way it will be exciting and i have high hopes for davis in the future...just look at my signature

of corse you have i knew i should have left that whole part out, i knew youd write a paragraph explaining yourself on davis again, and i dont think you should call lytle a gatekeeper when lytle was beating a guy who beat davis david heath is a gatekeeper not lytle.... forgive me for using mma math but this has already gotten outta hand, until alves and davis rematch and lytle and davis fight this is ridonkulous, i'll just let you keep your confidence in davis since i think he has potential as well.... do i think its enough to beat GSP or Fitch? well serra did and im sure you have higher hopes in davis than the current champ
RMFG_187
2/24/08 2:06:07AM

Posted by Gipper

CHRIS LYTLE

Perfect Matchup. Both are explosive, hard hitters, who are versed in ground work. Either 1st round KO, or 3 Round WAR
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 11:02:35AM
all i am going to add right now is that i feel that chris lytle is in fact the gatekeeper of this division. the WW division is so stacked, that the caliber of fighter needed at gatekeeper is one at lytle's level. if you haven't noticed...chris lytle is not in the top 10 in any rankings, nor he is that close imo. he is the gatekeeper of the UFC WW division. i believe his fight with alves proves that fact, for alves is now regarded as legit after his win over lytle and lytle still acts as the guy to beat to break into legitimacy. GSP, fitch, serra, hughes, karo, kos, sanchez, davis, alves and swick are all currently ranked higher than him. no one is more suitable for the role of gatekeeper than lytle imo, and as it was displayed in the gatekeeper thread a while back, in a lot fo other people's opinion as well.