Marcus Davis Top Contender

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Marcus Davis Top Contender
tylerlee123
12/19/07 7:06:47PM
I cant belive the impact that marcus davis has made since losing to guillard, i never thought he'd have this many straight wins in the octagon, i think davis has the potential to be a top contender in this division , we will see what the future brings, any thoughts
juanez13
12/19/07 7:18:40PM
yea i defenately see him now as one of the top guys in the division he has grown so much as a fighter from being a boxer to utilazing new JJ skills, but the UFC is still not givin him the fights that he should be getting, his next fight is against jess joker liaudin, which i dont think is on the same level as davis, but they are doing the same thing with him like they did with huerta, building hype around him.....so i cant wait for him to break into the scene of the top contenders and start fighting bigger names...
CantAndleDaRiddum
12/19/07 7:28:02PM
i hope he brings the house down at UFC 80.....and that davis v taylor fight was classic
telnights
12/19/07 8:05:47PM
He is has become a lot better since his fight with Guillard. If he can get his ground game to the next level he will be in the top 5. Heck it maybe already there he just hasn't faced anyone that has forced him to use it yet.
Franklinfan47
12/19/07 8:11:51PM
I'd like to see how he would do against Alves or Karo. Those would be good matches gaurenteed.
Chuteboxer
12/19/07 8:12:44PM
He's a decent fighter. I'll be interested in seeing him fight bigger names sometime. I don't know how he would fare, but I like the guy well enough.
hathcock32
12/19/07 8:30:28PM
Karo said he might be looking at fighting davis in April May if he gets by his next opponet.
fullerene
12/19/07 9:49:40PM
He has more boxing fights than probably any other fighter in the UFC (17-1-2 record). That means that 1) he is going to have very good standup fundamentals, and 2) he wasn't working on wrestling, jiu-jitsu and muay thai for much of his fighting career. I guess it makes some sense that it took him a few fights to add the missing pieces to his game.
NatedawgThaM
12/19/07 10:02:15PM
Who has he beaten? Just asking. I respect him as a fighter and I know he'd be a tough fight for anybody. I just don't see him as a top contender yet. Why should I put him over Josh Burkman, Karo, Kos, Hughes, Serra, GSP, Fitch, Diego? He still hasn't been tested. Yeah that last fight was a great war he almost lost but it was against another non top 10. I want to see him tested against another fighter that's almost breaking the top 10 and then if he wins feed him a guy I mentioned above to see if he's the real deal.

He's a great exciting fighter. He just needs more quality wins. When he has them. He'll be a wrecking force for sure and a tough opponent for anybody in the top 10 at WW.
juanez13
12/19/07 10:08:19PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Who has he beaten? Just asking. I respect him as a fighter and I know he'd be a tough fight for anybody. I just don't see him as a top contender yet. Why should I put him over Josh Burkman, Karo, Kos, Hughes, Serra, GSP, Fitch, Diego? He still hasn't been tested. Yeah that last fight was a great war he almost lost but it was against another non top 10. I want to see him tested against another fighter that's almost breaking the top 10 and then if he wins feed him a guy I mentioned above to see if he's the real deal.

He's a great exciting fighter. He just needs more quality wins. When he has them. He'll be a wrecking force for sure and a tough opponent for anybody in the top 10 at WW.

he is was just like roger huerta before he fought guida....you know the guy has got the talent, you think he belongs with the top of the division, but yet you havent seen them against any of the top contenders in the division....all the ufc is doing is building him up, giving him some fights to improve his game, and when they think there is enough hype around him they'll throw him with the best of the division....with roger huerta they gave him alot of "soft" fights that made him get noticed, and after everyone sees he is there they put him against a legitimate fighter, which paid off because huerta won, wether davis will have the same success is not known yet, but im positive we will find out soon
nickcuc547
12/19/07 10:24:51PM
he is good but he will never be a title contender, he has made strides but he is getting up there in age. great gate keeper though.
atlas777
12/19/07 10:40:44PM
Hes a good fighter with a few more wins and a little more experience against the better oponents i tihnk he will become a great fighter and i think he will be a force to wrecken with but i dont think he will ever be a title contender
hathcock32
12/20/07 12:48:13AM
I believe Taylor Is better then Burkman...And Marcus beat him/
keith-hackney1
12/20/07 6:39:40AM
Ive liked davis all along, eversince i saw him beat spratt. He's a boxer transitioned to mma and won 8 of his 13 wins via submissions. That arm bar he took out taylor with was awesome. With his backround in boxing you can see he has a good chin, He took punishment from taylor and still pulled out a great sub. Laudin will be a test but i see davis taking him out. Then who knows ... The list in that division is endless, he will get in the top 10 next year. A huge threat to look out for. Mark these words.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
keith-hackney1
12/20/07 6:47:05AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Who has he beaten? .

If you put taylor in there with any top 10 contender, he'd cause some problems, test them to the full and even upset. Taylor is a tough tough dude, and i think davis vs taylor was a match up that could have happened in the next few years as a main event. Too many fighters in the ufc are particular to how they win a fight... Davis will win whatever, he's a smart fighter. Davis wont walk into a fight thinking about a ko, he thinks about a way to win with all options, thats the mind that will rocket him in the mix of fighters next year. Anyone who thinks huerta will be a big star, wait for davis !!!
KYGUY07
12/20/07 8:02:53AM
I think hes definetely a top contender, hes realed off some great wins lately, and the fight with Taylor was awesome
Boo_Radley21
12/20/07 9:06:06AM
I'd say he's definitely a force in the WW division. I don't think he'll hold a title but the could definitely have some more great fights and could even beat some of the top WW's if he keeps training and improving.
gsquat
12/20/07 9:50:05AM
He's my second favorite fighter (behind Rashad). I was super impressed his last fight. Not only did he come back from a brutal kick, but he finished with an armbar submission. When you think well-rounded WW's, Marcus Davis should be at the top of your list. I'd like to see him fight Kos, Karo, or Fitch next.
Webbie
12/20/07 2:07:59PM
I’ve been following Davis since his fight with Shonie Carter because, for one, he impressed me quite a bit, and two, he’s from Houlton, Maine, which is literally about twenty minutes from where I’ve lived nearly my entire life. Growing up in such a small area you never expect to see guys from around here make it big and shine the way Davis has, especially in a young sport like MMA, so of course I’m a huge fan of his. I watched his fight with Carter, didn’t see him again until his fight with Jason Tan, and then in his last fight against Paul Taylor. He seems to be more and more impressive each time.

As far as him being a top contender, I guess it depends on what you mean. I believe he’s on the level of deserving a fight against someone like Karo or maybe Gono or Chonan. Personally, I’d love to see him fight Chonan, just because Chonan’s one of my favorites, but I do think he deserves a fight against guys like that. Diego Sanchez even.

However, I don’t know if I could see him fighting Fitch, Hughes, or GSP at this point in time. I don’t believe he’s [i]that close to a title shot. To be honest, I could see Davis beating Matt Serra, but he just hasn’t earned a title shot yet and he’s still got a little bit of proving to do I’d say.

Seriously, though, I don’t like the sounds of a fight between him and Karo. I think Karo would ruin his momentum, lol. I’d rather see him fight Chonan or maybe Sanchez.
pv3Hpv3p
12/20/07 5:01:35PM
ttt
jiujitsufreak74
12/20/07 6:32:55PM
i have been in the Marcus Davis War Wagon even before he went on TIF when i saw his fight with thiago alves. i am so glad so many people see his potential and recognize what he has accomplished. i think a rematch with alves is in order, what a war that would be!!

Let us not look past the joker because the last thing we davis fans need is for him to slip against a less popular fighter, but if he prevails like i think he will, then i say give him alves for a rematch or maybe even diego because they would be around the same point on the WW ladder.
JBatch
12/21/07 1:53:15PM

Posted by hathcock32

I believe Taylor Is better then Burkman...And Marcus beat him/

This is the best statement in here. You have to understand we don't know all the UK fighters as well as we do American fighters here in North America. He has taken on some solid competition and shown he has the tools to compete for a contenders spot in the WW division.

He uses impeccable striking to get you to the mat and then submits you quickly it is a glorious gameplan.

Who do you think would have the best chance of beating Davis on the feet in the WW division?