Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle on tap for UFC 93

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle on tap for UFC 93
POLL: Who takes it?
Davis - (T)KO 22% (10)
Davis - Sub 9% (4)
Davis - Dec 22% (10)
Lytle - (T)KO 11% (5)
Lytle - Sub 7% (3)
Lytle - Dec 30% (14)
grappler0000
11/3/08 4:13:26PM
The worst kept secret of a fight now has a date.

UFC welterweights Marcus Davis (15-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Chris Lytle (26-16-5 MMA, 5-8 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 93, and bout agreements for the fight have been distributed, sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The fight is expected to air on UFC 93's televised main card, which takes place Jan. 17 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland.

The event airs on pay per view.

Davis and Lytle both spoke openly about wanting to fight each other even before they both competed last month at UFC 89. With victories from each fighter -- Davis submitted Paul Kelly, and Lytle stopped Paul Taylor with a unanimous-decision win -- the pieces fell in place for the bout.

As Davis first told TAGG Radio, MMAjunkie.com's official radio partner, in July, he and Lytle first discussed the fight earlier this year.

"Chris Lytle and I want to fight each other," Davis said at the time. "He's expressed that he wants to fight me. I've expressed that I want to fight him.

"We like each other, we respect each other, but we want to have that fight. And my pitch to Chris is, 'The first guy that starts grappling is a pussy, so let's not do that. Let's just stand up and just beat the hell out of each other. If we get in a clinching scenario, and somebody wants to throw somebody or whatever, go ahead and do it. But let's not try to finish it on the ground. Let's stand up, and let's bang it out.'"

Link
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/3/08 4:20:18PM
I like both but I'm going for Davis to bring it to the floor and end it
juanez13
11/3/08 4:27:07PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Going by what Davis said, that wont happen. He says he wants the fight to be standing, and if it does go to the ground, he doesnt want it finished there, but rather finish it standing. And going to what type of fighter Lytle is, he wont have a problem with that.

Marcus, Rnd 2 KO. Lytle took some clean shots from Taylor, and i think he wont be able to take them against someone with the power of Marcus.
MMAcca
11/3/08 4:30:48PM
Lytle all the way, be it ground or standing imo.
tuvok500
11/3/08 4:35:24PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

If this fight go to the ground, no way Davis will win this fight .

I would like to pick Lytle but for some reason, i call it " brain damage ", Lytle no longer try to take advantage of his opponent weakness and always go for the ridiculous stand up no defence punching bag war so hard to tell who's gonna win this one, both have a very good boxing background so.. Lytle would have a big ground advantage but like i said he will completely overlook this aspect witch i don't understand why, well FOTN bonus probably.

Wallass
11/3/08 4:35:36PM
Im taking Davis Round 2 Ko. This should be a really good fight!
gsquat
11/3/08 4:36:24PM
I'm leaning towards Lytle. His cardio will be better this fight. Davis doesn't push as hard as Taylor does (few do). Davis didn't do too good against Taylor in the standup whereas Lytle won the fight on the feet. Right now I'm thinking Lytle R2, KO/TKO.
wrona666
11/3/08 4:38:41PM
The only way i see Davis winning this fight is by decision.....Lytle has never been KO'ed so i dont know why some people think Davis will knock him out.....Lytle has fought better strikers then Davis and did not get KO'ed....

Im really pulling for Lytle on this one he deserves a big win.....Lytle rd 2 KO
Matimus
11/3/08 4:58:32PM
Lytle rear naked choke. he'll stand and bang then take marcus down and end it
Wolfenstein
11/3/08 5:14:27PM
I would say Chris Lytle but he seems like he's dead-set on making exciting fights, which apparently in his mind are slugfests. It's awesome he wants to be exciting, but this is MMA and I'd like to see it treated as such rather than turned into kickboxing matches to please the casual viewers.
cowcatcher
11/3/08 5:21:02PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I would say Chris Lytle but he seems like he's dead-set on making exciting fights, which apparently in his mind are slugfests. It's awesome he wants to be exciting, but this is MMA and I'd like to see it treated as such rather than turned into kickboxing matches to please the casual viewers.

i agree with this in thoery, but when lytle is out there banging it out and laying it all on the line it is as good as anything this or any other sport has to offer. lytle maybe isnt the wisest fighter because he doesnt go to the ground, but he is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.
grappler0000
11/3/08 5:27:41PM
Whoever is voting for Davis by submission is crazy...no offense

xtra_chewy
11/3/08 5:47:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

Whoever is voting for Davis by submission is crazy...no offense

word. AND..... for whoever thinks he'll knock Chris out, dude's chin is solid as they come.
nickcuc547
11/3/08 5:52:59PM
I may not be giving this fight enough credit, but I say there is a 100% chance that this is an even and explosive fight.
jgtribbett
11/3/08 6:14:22PM
i would really like to see lytle win this, for one i'm from IN and for two he is a firefighter with like a hundred kids.. good for him and all he does
Bloodhound
11/3/08 6:42:41PM
should be a great fight , i got the irish hand grenade by decision
ziegler3334
11/3/08 6:58:44PM
I think that Lytle and Davis are both aiming for FOTN with this one. Thats what Lytle wanted in his fight with Taylor, and he got it. In his fight with Kos, he may have had it if he wasn't clearly outmatched.

Davis is tough, and if he can keep it standing, which i think Lytle will oblige, i think Davis will come out with the win.

That being said, I don't believe you can finish Chris Lytle. The man just will not give in. So exciting to watch. I don't know how you could not like Lytle, for his heart more than anything. I know some people say its dumb to praise a fighter for taking a beating, but i don't think thats the case at all. He just is never out of a fight and won't quit even when it's clear he's losing (Kos). As far as i'm concerned, thats what fighters should strive for.

I love Lytle's toughness, but Davis is the superior striker.

I think the fight stays standing and Davis takes it UD; most likely FOTN
bullettdodger
11/3/08 7:04:40PM
Lytle takes this one, I think he is just too hard to finish and Davis will wilt under the pressure put on by Lytle. As others have said I think it is very unlikely that Davis finishes Lytle by any means. Lytle is a tough and seasoned veteran who has been in more than his share of wars. As I already said I see Davis not being able to keep pace with Lytle.
Twenty20Dollars
11/3/08 10:55:20PM
I didnt think davis was going to take this fight but i think davis can out work lytle and wear him out. Then prolly win a UD or a late TKO.
HumanTarget
11/3/08 11:29:16PM
How the **** is going to the ground being a "pussy"? Thats ******* stupid coming from a professional fighters mouth. Maybe someone should put him in a kneebar and snap his leg.
jiujitsufreak74
11/4/08 1:02:46PM
Marcus is just trying to ensure that him and Lytle stand and bang so the fans can be happy. Marcus has shown that he has a new found respect for the ground and has shown incredible improvements there so i don't think his comments were attacking people who go to the ground but rather trying to get Lytle to have yet another Fight oF the Night
Gipper
11/4/08 1:03:26PM
davis is a deadman. WAR CHRIS LYTLE
bls1919
11/4/08 5:33:13PM
Everyone can be Ko'd. Including Lytle. Davis is very hard hitting and fast. Lytle can take a punch no doubt. I think he will have to be backpeddeling, and using angles a lot to avoid the power of Davis. Kinda of a Machidaesque style. i'm not sure who to pick just yet but am leaning toward Davis catching him late in the 2nd

PS: i love the pic
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1