Marcus Aurelio released from the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Marcus Aurelio released from the UFC
Wolfenstein
11/19/08 5:50:06PM
Following the news that Fabricio Werdum has left the UFC and Paulo Filho has been released from his Zuffa contract, fighters must be running for the hills. The latest victim of the cut is American Top Team fighter Marcus Aurelio.

link
Jackelope
11/19/08 5:51:17PM
Aurelio had talent but not drive IMO.
Twenty20Dollars
11/19/08 6:01:15PM
Yeah it seemed he could never get it going in the UFC against the top guys.
cmb19932
11/19/08 6:03:53PM
now whos next
cmill21
11/19/08 6:09:39PM
At least this is understandable, Werdum was not.
zephead
11/19/08 6:15:49PM

Posted by cmill21

I ndidn't agree with them letting Werdum go either. Guy can fight.
bullettdodger
11/19/08 6:53:06PM
I don't know, I think both releases were a bit premature. Aurelio is usually a game opponant. Only thing he lacked was the drive to be in the upper echalon, still lots of match ups for him so i don't see why they released him and not some other people *cough cough* Jorge Gurgel *cough cough*
nickcuc547
11/19/08 7:22:18PM
disappointed. i know he underachieved but i enjoy watching him fight. he is one dimensional but his jiu jitsu is awesome. still think he can take anybody on any given night, and you think i'd be bitter since i picked him to win his last four fights.
warglory
11/19/08 8:08:52PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

The UFC said they wanted to reduce Werdum's salary upon his re-signing, Werdum refused and both parties amicably agreed to part ways. So it really wasn't a firing.
Twenty20Dollars
11/19/08 8:27:47PM
well gurgel was on TUF and usually puts on good stand up fights but i still dont know why he doesnt take the fight to the ground if he is so great on the ground.
cmill21
11/19/08 8:36:45PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

The UFC said they wanted to reduce Werdum's salary upon his re-signing, Werdum refused and both parties amicably agreed to part ways. So it really wasn't a firing.

That doesn't make alot of sense, didn't he sign a new contract just before the Santo's fight that garenteed him a title shot had he won? Also he said he had no idea that they cut him after the news broke.
higdon10
11/19/08 8:54:25PM
Aurelio is a really game fighter, but he isn't in the top tier of LW's, and he never will be. Solid guy though, there are def. worse in the UFC.
RampageOwnedYou
11/19/08 9:18:29PM
Seemed to me after the Gomi fight in pride where he beat him, things went downhill for Aurellio.
Its a shame, he has the talent, just no drive nor the full effort to be something 'special'.
copcopps
11/19/08 9:36:31PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

That doesn't make alot of sense, didn't he sign a new contract just before the Santo's fight that garenteed him a title shot had he won? Also he said he had no idea that they cut him after the news broke.

Yeah but AFAIK, Aurillio wasn't that great of a fighter and IMO deserved to be released he's a good fighter but way too one-dimensional and not suited to the UFC's cage