Marc Ratner: 'CroCop's Win Won't Be Overturned

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Marc Ratner: 'CroCop's Win Won't Be Overturned
MMAcca
6/16/09 1:04:45AM
Marc Ratner, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, Monday told MMAWeekly.com an appeal was not possible.

“It’s very simple,” said Ratner. “By the unified rules... first of all the referee didn’t see the foul. What you’re asking is can we go to instant replay. You’re saying now that the fight’s over, can you take a look at it? If the referee had seen the finger and stopped the fight immediately, he could have given a stop for five minutes to recover, and then if (Al-Turk) couldn’t have gone on, it would have been a no-contest.”

Ratner, who headed the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) prior to current Executive Director Keith Kizer, chalked the incident up to a judgment call on Mirgliotta’s part.

LINK
cmill21
6/16/09 1:16:31AM
Woulda ended that way anyways.
Jackelope
6/16/09 1:22:29AM
Agreed.. it was headed down a bad road for Al-Turk as it was. Miragliotta screwed up, plain and simple. Sucks that it happened, but to blame and begrudge Crocop for the accidental eye poke is lame.
kaskd
6/16/09 2:26:16AM
It was heading that way, but I really feel that fights should be overturned. Just declare stuff like this a no contest. Maybe this one wasn't so bad because Al-Turk was not really in it, but what about Anthony Johnson? Just declare it a no contest, the audience will know if we want a rematch or not. None of us care about a rematch of Al-Turk and Crocop, but we all wanted to see Johnson get another shot.
babytater03
6/16/09 7:05:46AM
i dont even see how you blame Mirgliotta, man i still dont know the spelling, when he was positioned just out of step from the fighters, like he's supposed to be, and then CC made a quick movement that Dan just didn't see. Not that he was being neglectful in his duties, just he didn't see it. i dont begrudge him while sitting here at my computer.
Jackelope
6/16/09 9:35:30AM

Posted by babytater03

i dont even see how you blame Mirgliotta, man i still dont know the spelling, when he was positioned just out of step from the fighters, like he's supposed to be, and then CC made a quick movement that Dan just didn't see. Not that he was being neglectful in his duties, just he didn't see it. i dont begrudge him while sitting here at my computer.

I wouldn't if it wasn't a common mistake he makes. I'm not trying to bash on Miragliotta, but the guy has made a lot of mistakes, and when that is the case it needs to be called out. Even if people get their feelings hurt. It was clear that something was wrong with Al-Turk, and from where Miragliotta was he could have easily been able to tell that the counter punch Crocop threw didn't hit Al-Turk. He was close enough to hear that if not see that. So why would Al-Turk be covering up like that? It is the referee's job to monitor the action and catch little things like that.

That's like working at a burger joint and forgetting to put ketchup on someone's burger. It is your job to make sure that burger has ketchup on it, and you didn't put it there. If it's not the guy making the burger's fault, whose fault is it?

sparky
6/16/09 10:38:06AM
The eye poke happened its not the first time we've seen it and wont be the last.The outcome would have been the same with or without it happening, just like Mirko said. S*** happens when your wearing those little gloves!!!!
gartface
6/16/09 11:00:48AM

Posted by Jackelope I wouldn't if it wasn't a common mistake he makes. I'm not trying to bash on Miragliotta, but the guy has made a lot of mistakes, and when that is the case it needs to be called out. Even if people get their feelings hurt. It was clear that something was wrong with Al-Turk, and from where Miragliotta was he could have easily been able to tell that the counter punch Crocop threw didn't hit Al-Turk. He was close enough to hear that if not see that. So why would Al-Turk be covering up like that? It is the referee's job to monitor the action and catch little things like that. That's like working at a burger joint and forgetting to put ketchup on someone's burger. It is your job to make sure that burger has ketchup on it, and you didn't put it there. If it's not the guy making the burger's fault, whose fault is it?
I think that Dan gets entirely too much grief. Name one ref who consistently refs UFC events that would have caught that? I guess I'm speaking on the current quality of referee working for most Athletic Commissions. Miragliotta missing that quick eye poke is no worse to me than Yves Lavigne's last two major flub ups or Mazzagatti stopping Mir and Lesnar to ASK if Lesnar hit him in the back of the head. I'm more content with a referee missing something small like a quick eye poke rather than stopping a fight for something they're not certain of or letting a punch drunk fighter sway their judgement.
Jackelope
6/16/09 11:31:32AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Jackelope

I wouldn't if it wasn't a common mistake he makes. I'm not trying to bash on Miragliotta, but the guy has made a lot of mistakes, and when that is the case it needs to be called out. Even if people get their feelings hurt. It was clear that something was wrong with Al-Turk, and from where Miragliotta was he could have easily been able to tell that the counter punch Crocop threw didn't hit Al-Turk. He was close enough to hear that if not see that. So why would Al-Turk be covering up like that? It is the referee's job to monitor the action and catch little things like that.

That's like working at a burger joint and forgetting to put ketchup on someone's burger. It is your job to make sure that burger has ketchup on it, and you didn't put it there. If it's not the guy making the burger's fault, whose fault is it?

I think that Dan gets entirely too much grief. Name one ref who consistently refs UFC events that would have caught that? I guess I'm speaking on the current quality of referee working for most Athletic Commissions.

Miragliotta missing that quick eye poke is no worse to me than Yves Lavigne's last two major flub ups or Mazzagatti stopping Mir and Lesnar to ASK if Lesnar hit him in the back of the head. I'm more content with a referee missing something small like a quick eye poke rather than stopping a fight for something they're not certain of or letting a punch drunk fighter sway their judgement.

I agree with everything you said. The worst incident IMO was the Brown/Sell fight, in which I think Yves Lavigne was refereeing.

My main concern is the health and safety of the fighters in the Octagon. Obviously the amount of mistakes speaks to the difficulty of the job, and the criticism speaks to the scrutiny. When you're in there right next to the fighters you see and hear a lot of things the average fan doesn't, so I expect more of the referees. Obviously it's easy to sit here behind a computer screen and say all of these things, but we're talking about referees at the highest level of the game, so some scrutiny should be expected. By no means am I trying to make light of the job they have. I'm just holding their feet to the fire. As we all should considering what is on the line, and most specifically as Mustapha Al-Turk should.

The main thing I wanted to point out is that if the blame should go anywhere it should be on the shoulders of Miragliotta, since specifically that is his job.

Now, personally, when I'm sparring guys and I accidentally eye poke them, I back off and let them recover. I'm not sure how Crocop felt in the Octagon, but obviously when it's not a training partner you have to worry about giving them space only to find out they're perfectly o.k. and capable of KO'ing you. Plus, in the heat of the moment during an actual fight you don't exactly notice the slight moisture on your finger.
MMAcca
6/16/09 2:59:16PM
This whole thing is only news because CroCop has decided not to sign with the UFC.
Kpro
6/16/09 3:11:54PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Jackelope

I think that Dan gets entirely too much grief. Name one ref who consistently refs UFC events that would have caught that? I guess I'm speaking on the current quality of referee working for most Athletic Commissions.

Miragliotta missing that quick eye poke is no worse to me than Yves Lavigne's last two major flub ups or Mazzagatti stopping Mir and Lesnar to ASK if Lesnar hit him in the back of the head. I'm more content with a referee missing something small like a quick eye poke rather than stopping a fight for something they're not certain of or letting a punch drunk fighter sway their judgement.

Miragliotta's stoppage of the Kimbo/JT fight was worse than Yves' non-stoppage of the Brown/Sell fight.