Manny Ramirez traded to the LA Dodgers...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Manny Ramirez traded to the LA Dodgers...
Next Page »
emfleek
7/31/08 4:46:01PM
Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox appears to be over.

A baseball source has confirmed Ramirez has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, ESPN.com has learned.

Jason Bay is going to Boston as part of the deal, Jayson Stark reported. And the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as part of the three-way deal.

Andy LaRoche and pitcher Bryan Morris, in addition Red Sox prospects, will go to Pittsburgh, Buster Olney reported.

LINKAGE
Shawn91111
7/31/08 4:58:03PM
Damnit...As a Yankee fan I was hoping this would cause a huge distraction the rest of the season..then again id rather face Bay than ManRam
iwannabesedated
7/31/08 5:09:01PM
Im glad Bay is gone...He is probably the worst fielder in baseball when it comes to throwing the ball the right base.

the Pirates will receive 4 minor league prospects. Those 4 minor league prospects are believed to be Andy Laroche, Bryan Morris, Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen according to Ken Rosenthal but I'm hearing the Pirates may receive Andre Ethier and 3 prospects. more to come..

Well im not hearing that..the guy from TIOPS is.
DCRage
7/31/08 5:10:45PM
What The Fuku?!? I had read earlier he might've gone to Florida but that deal was dead.
iwannabesedated
7/31/08 5:12:35PM

Posted by DCRage

What The Fuku?!? I had read earlier he might've gone to Florida but that deal was dead.

Yeah i think the Pirates held that deal up..FLA didnt want to let go the prospects the Pirates wanted.

GOHERE
Shawn91111
7/31/08 5:13:59PM
Im just glad the Yanks got rid of Farnsworthless..and added Pudge with Molina as the backup. Could have used another starter but ah well.
bullettdodger
7/31/08 5:26:39PM
WOOOOOOOT GO DODGERS!!!!!
The_Metal_Maniac
7/31/08 5:30:10PM
The Pirates could have gotten better prospects from Tampa or Florida. Instead we get 4 prospects and one Brandon Moss only with potential. Fantastic Raul Mondesi all over again.
Mchubb316
7/31/08 6:00:05PM
Dodgers needed this boost in the middle of their lineup. Iam a huge Dodger fan, and this made my day. Manny just being Manny in Dodger stadium, wearing Dodger blue, playing for Joe Torre. Sweet.
Taylor8766
7/31/08 6:30:02PM
Jason Bay is a great ball player, and with him in Boston look out for the Sox's. Also Ramirez going to LA Dodgers, there going to be a huge threat.
The_Metal_Maniac
7/31/08 6:55:03PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Jason Bay is a great ball player, and with him in Boston look out for the Sox's. Also Ramirez going to LA Dodgers, there going to be a huge threat.

Look out for the Sox? They had arguable a top four offensive player in Manny. Now they have a less offensive, less clutch, JD Drew clone who has comparable outfield defense to Manny. The sox also have a big time offensive problem. You can now afford to pitch around Big Papi. The dodgers along with the acquisition of Maddux, a 5th starter, should run away with the division. Mean while the Red Sox will not make the post season. Back in Pittsburgh the Pirates realized that there on pace for 15 more consecutive losing seasons. Where's Jeff King, and Jose Lind when you need them?

I'm a die hard Pittsburgh fan. These trades matter not

Angels vs. Cubs. 08 WS champs Angels. Including Tony Danza, and Danny Glover.
emfleek
7/31/08 7:02:32PM

Posted by roncomanjason

Posted by Taylor8766

The dodgers along with the acquisition of Maddux, a 5th starter, should run away with the division.

Did I miss something? Maddux is still in San Diego as far as I know...
iwannabesedated
7/31/08 7:03:00PM
The Play that cursed Pirates Baseball forever.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
The_Metal_Maniac
7/31/08 7:07:50PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by roncomanjason

Posted by Taylor8766

The dodgers along with the acquisition of Maddux, a 5th starter, should run away with the division.

Did I miss something? Maddux is still in San Diego as far as I know...

I read an article in the morning saying Maddux was picked up by the Dodgers. Unless the article was pure speculation, but as reported in sounded kosher. However I will still check. Even without Maddux the Dodgers will now run away with the division.
emfleek
7/31/08 7:10:07PM
Maddux wasn't traded. I'm assuming it was pure speculation.
The_Metal_Maniac
7/31/08 7:17:15PM

Posted by emfleek

Maddux wasn't traded. I'm assuming it was pure speculation.

yep
postman
7/31/08 11:14:26PM
Im so sick of prospects its the same thing every year. We could have pulled alot better players then we did in both trades. this year I finally went to a game after 4 years and as soon as I do they dump the team. Baseball is my fav sport with a ball but its not fun for me anymore.
cmill21
8/1/08 12:07:26AM

Posted by postman

Im so sick of prospects its the same thing every year. We could have pulled alot better players then we did in both trades. this year I finally went to a game after 4 years and as soon as I do they dump the team. Baseball is my fav sport with a ball but its not fun for me anymore.

Yeah Pittsburg seems to do this but they have never came out looking like the Rays or Marlins, it's just a big circle of crap.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/1/08 3:20:50AM
Things that are being lost in this trade. Boston rid themselves of a cancer which was preventing them from realizing the talent on that team. As good as Ramirez's number's are Bay's numbers aren't too far off. Jason Bay might actually be able to produce better numbers now that he has people batting ahead of him who will reach base forcing them to still pitch to Papi. If Jason Bay bats 4th he may very well have the success Manny did with the Sox. Not to offend any Pirates fan on this forum but they are fu*king farm team for the rest of the majors. They get great talent because they shoot for 90 loss seasons, develop that talent and almost immediately trade it to a contender after the all star break. Case in point Marte and Nady. What the hell was that? Worst trade in history aside from selling Babe Ruth to finance No No Nannette. I call that a trade because he traded his best player for a crap play. Nobody can argue his offensive production but Ramirez was a cancer for the Sox and no production is worth some of the stunts he pulled. Bay is a great developing talent and Manny was most likely going to opt out of his contract at years end to follow the almighty dollar even if it landed him on a horrible team. Not to mention the fact that he has expressed his desire for a large contract in order to allow him to retire comfortably which will most likely be soon since he's coming up on 20 years in the league in a few short years. Jason Bay is 29 and does not appear to be anything short of a player who gives his all for his team. A two time all star selection and the NL rookie of the year. Most importantly, I haven't heard of Jason Bay citing bogus knee injuries which cost his team important games in the middle of a race. The Dodger's got screwed in this because they gave up way too much for a player who will only play 3-4 months for them. As for the Pirates, they don't give a shit about their team or fans anyhow so this was no big loss to them, hell they've traded every good player they have anyhow. Boston is clearly the winner. If not this season then for sure over the long term.
The_Metal_Maniac
8/1/08 6:34:31AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Things that are being lost in this trade. Boston rid themselves of a cancer which was preventing them from realizing the talent on that team. As good as Ramirez's number's are Bay's numbers aren't too far off. Jason Bay might actually be able to produce better numbers now that he has people batting ahead of him who will reach base forcing them to still pitch to Papi. If Jason Bay bats 4th he may very well have the success Manny did with the Sox. Not to offend any Pirates fan on this forum but they are fu*king farm team for the rest of the majors. They get great talent because they shoot for 90 loss seasons, develop that talent and almost immediately trade it to a contender after the all star break. Case in point Marte and Nady. What the hell was that? Worst trade in history aside from selling Babe Ruth to finance No No Nannette. I call that a trade because he traded his best player for a crap play. Nobody can argue his offensive production but Ramirez was a cancer for the Sox and no production is worth some of the stunts he pulled. Bay is a great developing talent and Manny was most likely going to opt out of his contract at years end to follow the almighty dollar even if it landed him on a horrible team. Not to mention the fact that he has expressed his desire for a large contract in order to allow him to retire comfortably which will most likely be soon since he's coming up on 20 years in the league in a few short years. Jason Bay is 29 and does not appear to be anything short of a player who gives his all for his team. A two time all star selection and the NL rookie of the year. Most importantly, I haven't heard of Jason Bay citing bogus knee injuries which cost his team important games in the middle of a race. The Dodger's got screwed in this because they gave up way too much for a player who will only play 3-4 months for them. As for the Pirates, they don't give a shit about their team or fans anyhow so this was no big loss to them, hell they've traded every good player they have anyhow. Boston is clearly the winner. If not this season then for sure over the long term.

I have had the misfortune of watching Jason Bay participate on the "farm team" for the last five years. What I have learned is that he has the worst throwing arm, in the history of baseball he's the least clutch and with the acception of one year his numbers are as close to mediocre as you can get. On the whole subject of prospects, and the Pirates. The reason the Pirates don't end up like the Rays or the Marlins is because of the previous ownership. The Pirates would consecutively have a top 4 pick and draft the 43rd best player so that they wouldn't have to pay them. With the new ownership and gm they drafted the second best player and are working on a nice contract. Along with the prospects they received in the Nady and Bay trades along with their current farm system, it's not far off to think the Pirates can have a good team in three to four teams. Perhaps even sooner if the young guys develop faster. Once and for all implement a freaking salary cap so I can enjoy watching a semi descent product.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/1/08 8:34:13AM
Man, I say this to you with no disrespect. I truly mean that. THERE IS NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH the Pirates could have a good team in your allotted amount of time. The Pirates do not care about their team, their fans or the city of Pittsburgh. They are a farm team for the rest of the MLB. That's all they will be for, probably, the next 5 years. I understand that Bay isn't the best fielder. Even MSN said all he had to do was replace Manny, which wouldn't be that hard. Manny was no better of an outfielder than Bay. But, he was a cancer, which Bay isn't. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree but I think this is a "time will tell" trade. The Sox gave up plenty of offensive production, not to mention a GOD in the post-season. But, I think this sent a message, one which the rest of the clubhouse will receive. Bay WILL resign with Boston. Manny WILL follow the dollar. Winner= Boston+Pittsburgh. Loser=Dodgers. LA got a loaner from Boston who will bail. This doesn't even make LA a contender. This barely ensures them the division. It's one effin bat for an offensively unproductive team. Boston, on the other hand, gains a young outfielder with enormous potential, along with similar numbers, at least this season. Manny was offense. Nothing more. It's not like they lost something on defense. I am a Sox fan.....you can't watch a highlight without watching Manny fall on his ass in left. He sucked defensively. Bay might not be much better but he does bring something Manny didn't.....a willingness to play with a team.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/1/08 8:55:31AM
Whoa, I have to attack these stats! Through 2008, he has made only seventeen errors in 5802.1 innings in left field (.986 fielding percentage). citing wikipedia and espn.com. Courtesy of Wikipedia.org: Bay began the 2004 season on the disabled list due to surgery during the off-season, and did not join the team until May. Despite missing the beginning of the season, he still produced the best offensive numbers of any National League rookie. He hit .282 in 120 games, leading all major league rookies in home runs (26) and RBI (82). He also led all NL rookies in slugging percentage (.550), extra base hits (54) and total bases (226). With his 26 home runs, Bay broke a Pirates rookies record of 23 set by Johnny Rizzo in 1936 and matched by Ralph Kiner in 1946. Selected the NL rookie of the year by The Sporting News, Bay was the third Pittsburgh player honored with the award, after second baseman Johnny Ray (1982) and catcher Jason Kendall. Yet again citing Wikipedia.org: After battling injuries, Bay's 2007 season was less productive, hitting .247 with 21 home runs and 84 RBI.[4]

Bay has had a much more productive 2008, hitting .282 with 22 home runs and 64 runs batted in through the All Star break. In a May series against the Chicago Cubs, Bay had extra-inning walk-off hits in back-to-back games; the first two walk-off hits of his career.[5] A month later, he got his third walk-off hit of the season and his career with a 13th-inning solo home run against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Stats this year: Jason Bay: 2008 Ground/Fly Analysis
At Bats: 347 | Flyball: 41.2% | Groundball: 34.0% | Strikeout: 24.8% | GIDP: 0.9%

Stats this year: Manny Ramirez: 2008 Ground/Fly Analysis
At Bats: 311 | Flyball: 35.4% | Groundball: 37.0% | Strikeout: 27.7% | GIDP: 3.9%

Manny is worse in all but one.....flyballs. You can't count at bats because I'm sure the Sox see more at bats per inning than do the Pirates....why the rest of the team.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/1/08 8:59:10AM
Not to mention Manny sitting it out whenever the hell he feels like it.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/1/08 9:03:02AM
I will call myself out on this. Which defends your point: citing wikipedia: For a left fielder, he has a below average throwing ability according to The Hardball Times.
emfleek
8/1/08 9:51:32AM
The best part about this trade...

The Cubbies open up a 3-game set against the Pirates today SANS-Jason Bay.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
iwannabesedated
8/1/08 11:56:02AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Man, I say this to you with no disrespect. I truly mean that. THERE IS NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH the Pirates could have a good team in your allotted amount of time. The Pirates do not care about their team, their fans or the city of Pittsburgh. They are a farm team for the rest of the MLB. That's all they will be for, probably, the next 5 years. I understand that Bay isn't the best fielder. Even MSN said all he had to do was replace Manny, which wouldn't be that hard. Manny was no better of an outfielder than Bay. But, he was a cancer, which Bay isn't. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree but I think this is a "time will tell" trade. The Sox gave up plenty of offensive production, not to mention a GOD in the post-season. But, I think this sent a message, one which the rest of the clubhouse will receive. Bay WILL resign with Boston. Manny WILL follow the dollar. Winner= Boston+Pittsburgh. Loser=Dodgers. LA got a loaner from Boston who will bail. This doesn't even make LA a contender. This barely ensures them the division. It's one effin bat for an offensively unproductive team. Boston, on the other hand, gains a young outfielder with enormous potential, along with similar numbers, at least this season. Manny was offense. Nothing more. It's not like they lost something on defense. I am a Sox fan.....you can't watch a highlight without watching Manny fall on his ass in left. He sucked defensively. Bay might not be much better but he does bring something Manny didn't.....a willingness to play with a team.

WHoa...dont ever say that people in Pittsburgh dont care about their teams..Thats far from the truth.Wether its 15 winning seasons or 100 losing seasons people in Pittsburgh are more passionate about their sports teams than most cities win or lose.The Pirates are one of the more storied teams in baseball even if they may become the biggest losing franchise in modern times.People still go to games and PNC park is probably the nicest stadium in baseball.

OH and Jason Bay does have the worst arm in baseball and he cant seem to ever throw the ball to the right base.I dont give a **** what wiki says...Ive been watching him for years now...

The Pirates can Score runs..i think their in the top 5 runs scored in the NL..i could be wrong but im hungover and not going to look it up...their problem is Pitching...
emfleek
8/1/08 11:59:01AM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

The Pirates can Score runs..i think their in the top 5 runs scored in the NL..i could be wrong but im hungover and not going to look it up...their problem is Pitching...

You are correct.

#3 in the NL in Runs Scored
# 8 in MLB
iwannabesedated
8/1/08 12:14:55PM

Posted by emfleek

You are correct.

# 8 in MLB

word.....But like i said we have no pitching..Coming into the season everyone was down on Maholm and right now he has the best numbers of any starter..Snell completly fell off this year...If the Pirates had Pitching Starters and Middle Relievers they could be an above .500 team....it sucks when you score runs but your pitching cant keep their shit together...I wouldve like to seen us get Billingsley from LA...Their was talk earlier in the year that we were trying to trade for him and Kemp...with Bay and Wilson.
Shawn91111
8/1/08 12:19:10PM

Posted by emfleek

You are correct.

# 8 in MLB

word.....But like i said we have no pitching..Coming into the season everyone was down on Maholm and right now he has the best numbers of any starter..Snell completly fell off this year...If the Pirates had Pitching Starters and Middle Relievers they could be an above .500 team....it sucks when you score runs but your pitching cant keep their shit together...I wouldve like to seen us get Billingsley from LA...Their was talk earlier in the year that we were trying to trade for him and Kemp...with Bay and Wilson.

Really? I couldnt see LA trading a young up and coming good starter and Kemp for Bay and Wilson
iwannabesedated
8/1/08 12:45:40PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by emfleek

You are correct.

# 8 in MLB

Really? I couldnt see LA trading a young up and coming good starter and Kemp for Bay and Wilson

It was rumored.It wasnt Bay and Wilson for both of them..They wouldve gotten one of those 2 and "prospects"..but their were talks.

Last year at the deadline the Pirates turned down Cliff Lee for Jason Bay...Now it looks like a bad move..But Lees' numbers last year arent as good as this year

Last year 5 w8l 6.29 era
This year 14w 2L 2.58 era

Go figure....Its the Sid Bream curse causing the Pirates to suck.
Pages: [1] 2