Manny, Grispi, or Hominick?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Manny, Grispi, or Hominick?
POLL: Who should get the next WEC 145lb. Title Shot?
Manny Gamburyan 35% (9)
Josh Grispi 35% (9)
Mark Hominick 8% (2)
In a perfect world... Hatsu Hioki 0% (0)
In a perfect world... Marlon Sandro 19% (5)
In a perfect world... Bibiano Fernandes 4% (1)
ncordless
6/21/10 12:09:28AM
Who do you think should get the next shot at 145?

Manny beat the former champ and seemed to be the odds on fav for the next shot. Until his fight with Brown he had not looked that impressive in the WEC, and style-wise I don't think he poses that interesting of a match for Aldo. However he is probably by far the best known of the three contenders.

Josh Grispi has been dominating fighters in the WEC, with all of his wins coming by stoppage. He has had a long time off between his last couple of fights, and style-wise I just don't see him slapping on a 'tine against Aldo. He does have a win over Hominick, and is a darling of some hardcore fans.

Hominick is one of the only fighters I think might be able to hang with Aldo on the feet. He has several losses on his record, including Grispi and grappling studs Hatsu Hioki and Rani Yahya. I think style-wise this is the most interesting match, but seems like the least warranted out of the the three match ups.

BlueSkiesBurn
6/21/10 12:19:45AM
Well, Fernandes lost to Uriah, so MMAth rules him out. Hioki is already the Shooto featherweight champ so that bolsters his status. Obviously Sandro just destroyed Kanehara so, yeah, he's in there.

I say let Aldo dispatch Manny. Let Hominick and Grispi rematch and have Sandro and Hioki duke it out then do a round robin double-elimination tournament and if no clear winner has been determined we will hold sack races on consecutive Sunday's.

I vote Sandro but they are teammates so it won't happen.
Twenty20Dollars
6/21/10 12:57:02AM
grispi after aldo beats manny
DCRage
6/21/10 10:52:56AM
DON KING!! Seriously though, unless they can pay Sandro enough money to defect, Gamburyan.
Caesarrrr
6/21/10 12:05:40PM
I don't think Grispi will be able to beat him yet, but I see it as him getting a shot after Manny. I do think Grispi will get him a hell of a fight though.
Jackelope
6/21/10 12:52:31PM
They've been putting a lot of marketing effort into Manny so I think that's the fight that makes sense. He looks good at that weight and packs a lot of power.

As much as I'd like to see Hominick jump in there I gotta say a fight between he and Grispi seems like it would be a barn burner and I believe it would give us a taste of where Hominick is at grappling-wise. If he were able to pull out the W he'd have WEC superstar status based on this last fight and then a W over Grispi. WEC could probably even pull off decent PPV sales between he and Aldo.

On a side note- did anyone else check to make sure their DVR wasn't on like 1.5X fast forward while Hominick and Jabouin were fighting? Sweet mother of God.
Chael_Sonnen
6/21/10 1:23:11PM
Have Grispi fight Homminick and the winner gets Aldo.

Regardless, they both will get destroyed by Jose.
Chael_Sonnen
6/21/10 1:24:01PM
Manny doesn't stand a chance against Jose as well.
gartface
6/21/10 1:28:26PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Manny doesn't stand a chance against Jose as well.

Am I the only one who thinks he poses a stylistic challenge? Think about the Hayastan guys, and how they catch leg kicks and put their opponents down. Also think about how they've never been submitted. Their top game is great, and I think that Manny has a good chance of catching those kicks and putting Aldo on his back. I'm not saying he's going to win the fight, but I do think that he has a good chance and poses a threat to the crown.

I think Grispi still needs one more fight after that long lay off, but he looks fantastic and has run through his competition thus far.

Edit: Roman Mitichyan has been submitted against James Wilks in 2003, but Manny and Karo have never been submitted.
Jackelope
6/21/10 1:28:37PM
Actually I just checked it out on the fight finder. Looks like Grispi is coming off 4 WEC wins in a row. With LC Davis, Micah Miller, Jens Pulver, and Hominick on that list I think you've got to give it to him first... don't you? Have Gamburyan and Hominick scrap it out for #1 contender's match after Aldo destroys Grispi. Or do a Grispi vs. Hominick rematch to re-establish #1 while Manny fights against Aldo since he was in queue.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/21/10 3:37:59PM

Posted by Jackelope

They've been putting a lot of marketing effort into Manny so I think that's the fight that makes sense. He looks good at that weight and packs a lot of power.

As much as I'd like to see Hominick jump in there I gotta say a fight between he and Grispi seems like it would be a barn burner and I believe it would give us a taste of where Hominick is at grappling-wise. If he were able to pull out the W he'd have WEC superstar status based on this last fight and then a W over Grispi. WEC could probably even pull off decent PPV sales between he and Aldo.

On a side note- did anyone else check to make sure their DVR wasn't on like 1.5X fast forward while Hominick and Jabouin were fighting? Sweet mother of God.

There were times when I would fast forward through the commercials and not quite stop it right when the fight began on accident and I'll swear it looked to be going the same speed as when I hit the live button. I really couldn't tell much difference.
jae_1833
6/21/10 11:41:05PM
The way Grispi backs up with his chin held high, I see him getting hurt very early. Manny does have a good ground attack, however he will be having a tough time countering the knees and kicks with his hieght (however the big 3 in the WEC are Brown Faber and Aldo so he has done the most to "deserve" the fight) Now I think that Hominick would do the best standing with Aldo, plus he has a better ground pedigree in MMA than Aldo. I just find it hard right now to see him beating Aldo. Either way if he had a larger win streak I would give it to Hominick (that Grispi loss is killing him).