Manny Gamburyan reportedly out of UFC 157 fight with Chad Mendes

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Manny Gamburyan reportedly out of UFC 157 fight with Chad Mendes
Budgellism
2/8/13 5:03:02PM
The injury bug has struck the UFC's next pay-per-view event. Sports Illustrated's Melissa Segura reported on Twitter that Manny Gamburyan suffered a broken thumb and fractured elbow, likely putting him out of the scheduled UFC 157 main card bout with Chad Mendes:

It was only this past December that Mendes was booked to face Brazilian FW prospect Hacran Dias in Australia at UFC on FX 6, but Dias pulled out with an injury and the unknown Yaotzin Meza stepped in on extremely short-notice. Predictably, Meza was knocked out in the 1st round. There were reports that Mendes was originally supposed to fight Bart Palaszewski at UFC 148 instead of Cody McKenzie, but the UFC never officially announced the Mendes/Palaszewski fight pre-event.

LINK
shaneTpain
2/8/13 5:29:29PM
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
prozacnation1978
2/8/13 5:33:48PM
This may make a better fight. Bart or Dias
I am hoping guida takes the fight. Two week notice
Thinking who else fought this last month.
Maybe max Holloway or siler fills in
babalu46
2/8/13 5:51:26PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Being a big fan of Hollaway I hope he doesn't step in. I think it would do more harm than good at this stage of his career to throw him in on short notice against Mendes.
Budgellism
2/8/13 5:59:35PM

Posted by babalu46

Posted by prozacnation1978

Being a big fan of Hollaway I hope he doesn't step in. I think it would do more harm than good at this stage of his career to throw him in on short notice against Mendes.

I agree. I hope he doesn't take it either. Bad matchup for him. Especially since he had such a close fight with Garcia. I think Mendes would UD him.
frizzzlecake
2/8/13 8:00:06PM
Nobody wants to fight the Money Machine!
Poor_Franklin
2/8/13 8:34:48PM
personally, i want to see Mendes get a chance to beat Guida
sparky
2/8/13 8:47:46PM
Manny lucked out in my opinion because Money was going to put the stamp on him.
JLS1980
2/8/13 10:47:00PM
I personally think Mendes has been given way too easy of matchups, Manny Gamburyan included.

I didn't read the article but I still would like to see Mendes vs Dias if he was healed but I think he could make the fight.
Dias would be a good fight and is talented. And if I remember correctly Dias was given an automatic pass into the UFC. He was suppose to fight on TUF Brazil Season 1.
The winner of that season was Rony Jason and Dias would have ran thru the FW competition at TUF Brazil Season 1, IMO.

Mendes is arguably the 2nd best FW, he is according to rankings. And man he's been fighting nobodies.
Poor_Franklin
2/8/13 10:56:28PM
Ricardo Lamas just tweeted to Chad Mendes saying

@chadmendes I already accepted a fight in may, waiting to announce it, but I'm sure our paths will cross
jae_1833
2/8/13 11:00:58PM
Sucks for Manny, dude needs to fight....only once in all 2012, takes a lot of steam out of a fighter.
quezocrema0032
2/8/13 11:28:59PM
The only quality fighter I think realistically could step up is maybe Darren Elkins. He's already training so maybe he steps up just Because this would be his first main card apprence & a fight with real title implications. Can't think of any other guys who would do it aside from Nik Lentz. Sucks for Money though he's had rough luck with opponents injures
Budgellism
2/9/13 12:17:04AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

@chadmendes I already accepted a fight in may, waiting to announce it, but I'm sure our paths will cross

Hmmmm. I don't want to assume anything but this sounds like a Korean Zombie fight to me.
Poor_Franklin
2/9/13 12:37:51AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Hmmmm. I don't want to assume anything but this sounds like a Korean Zombie fight to me.

prozacnation1978
2/9/13 8:08:36AM
I never got this fight.
Mendes is fights McKenzie a newbie and now manny
Why this fight happened is a puzzle
Manny losing three of four should have fought someone else
Someone will want this fight. You beat mendes your ranking will go up for sure