Manhoef retire's

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Manhoef retire's
sleevey
9/26/08 4:15:21PM
Melvin Manhoef has retired following his semi-final loss to Gegard Mousasi in the DREAM middleweight GP earlier this week.

His team - Mike's Gym, headed by Mike Passandier - made the announcement earlier this evening, according to German-language site Ground and Pound.de

Manhoef apparently wants to spend more time with his young family, which has been difficult recently.

"Training seven days a week and three times a day has taken its toll on his family life" a spokesman explained.

No comment has yet been made as to how permanent the retirement is likely to be, or whether it applies to his MMA activity rather than his K-1 kickboxing career.

The only thought i have is his war with Cyborg IMO one of the fights of the year in 06'.

If you have not seen it is is worth a watch I am a lil to busy to find a link and post it as i am sure someone will throw a link up if need be. Link
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/26/08 4:18:29PM
damn, kinda surprising if u ask me......especially after a fight where he didnt exactly "leave it all in the ring"
Jackelope
9/26/08 4:31:47PM
Manhoef's never seemed to take losing well. I think either he comes back to MMA after a short break or he'll quit it all together and focus only on K-1. I'd hate to see the guy go, but I get the feeling he hates training for the ground. Nowadays you simply won't survive in the game without ground skills. Too bad, too because I think he is one of the top 3 most dangerous strikers in the MMA game.
DCRage
9/26/08 4:46:25PM
Whoa. Not sure what to make of this. Only fights of his I've really seen have been the DREAM ones but so much has been made of his striking prowess and his reputation that's come with it. Too bad he might be quitting, if he was able to break into UFC or even Affliction he really could've been something.
Mchubb316
9/26/08 9:51:13PM
I hope that this is temporary. Manhoef showed a lot of potential and could be a force in MMA.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/26/08 11:08:06PM
I wanna know where are all the people that think he could beat anderson are now?

edit: i really enjoy watching him fight and hope he doesnt retire.

cmill21
9/27/08 1:38:13AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

I wanna know where are all the people that think he could beat anderson are now?

So because he retires means we can't still think he would have a solid chance at Anderson?
copcopps
9/27/08 1:31:20PM

Posted by Jackelope

Manhoef's never seemed to take losing well. I think either he comes back to MMA after a short break or he'll quit it all together and focus only on K-1. I'd hate to see the guy go, but I get the feeling he hates training for the ground. Nowadays you simply won't survive in the game without ground skills. Too bad, too because I think he is one of the top 3 most dangerous strikers in the MMA game.

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/27/08 1:33:53PM

Posted by cmill21

So because he retires means we can't still think he would have a solid chance at Anderson?

I wasnt refering to the fact he is "retiring" but rather that mousasi beat him so handily i assumed many people would of changed their mind.
zephead
9/27/08 1:44:32PM
WOW. This thread is on topic.
MALICE
9/27/08 1:51:34PM

Posted by zephead

WOW. This thread is on topic.

Were you expecting something less of us members? Aren't we always keeping it on topic?
cmill21
9/27/08 9:18:12PM

Posted by cmill21

I wasnt refering to the fact he is "retiring" but rather that mousasi beat him so handily i assumed many people would of changed their mind.

I don't know of anyone anywhere who has said Melvin had any kind of a chance on the ground, everyone who said he had a chance said his chance was on his feet. If it wen't to the ground it would be over just as quick, but on the feet Melvin can beat anyone in mma.
tooly236
9/29/08 12:06:35AM

This thread had nothing to do with Anderson Silva, get off his nuts, he's overated.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/29/08 9:40:30PM

Posted by tooly236

This thread had nothing to do with Anderson Silva, get off his nuts, he's overated.

great contribution to the thread there buddy . please list your top 10 Mw's and/or the reason hes "overrated"
pv3Hpv3p
9/30/08 11:10:26AM
Shame we won't get to see him fight for a while (or ever again), but I can't blame a guy for wanting to spend time with his family... Hope to see him back in the ring sometime, and wish him the best of luck
tooly236
10/2/08 11:29:39AM

Posted by tooly236

great contribution to the thread there buddy . please list your top 10 Mw's and/or the reason hes "overrated"

I have Anderson at number #1, but he is not this legend everyone talks about. I have Henderson at #2. If they fight 10 times, Henderson wins 5 of them.