Manager: Carlos Condit Mad at Georges St-Pierre, Not UFC, for Losing Title Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Manager: Carlos Condit Mad at Georges St-Pierre, Not UFC, for Losing Title Fight
gartface
11/1/11 9:24:49AM
Malki Kawa had a bad feeling when he heard his phone ring and looked at the caller ID. It was then that he realized UFC president Dana White was on the other line. UFC 137 had just ended 30 minutes earlier, and it was already after midnight on the east coast. It was not a time for mindless chit-chat. It was a time for serious business.

As is his style, White cut to the chase. Georges St-Pierre no longer wanted to fight Kawa's client Carlos Condit next. Instead, the UFC welterweight champ wanted to fight Nick Diaz, the winner of UFC 137's main event. We all now know the outcome. St-Pierre got the fight he wanted, and he'll be fighting Diaz in early February. Condit? He wasn't too happy, and he didn't exactly "step aside" as White told the media at the post-fight press conference.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
11/1/11 10:26:38AM
I'd be pissed as well.....just a little patience, yeaaaah
airkerma
11/1/11 10:49:55AM
Nice, maybe this can be the WW version of the Jones Rashad soap opera.
KungFuMaster
11/1/11 11:28:15AM
Condit has every right to be pissed but I don't think there was any wrong doing on the ufc's part. Condit's contract was to fight Penn and not GSP. The switch-a-roo for him to fight GSP was a gift and can be taken away at a moment's notice - which it was.

I recommended Condit to take the fight with Koscheck (if I remember correctly, it was Kos who volunteered to step in). Now Condit is probably going to be pitted against a tougher opponent like Ellengberger or Fitch as playground has suggested. As this bout is being finalized, I can see his title shot slipping further and further away.

I'll go ahead and say it right now. There is only a small window of hope for Condit's title shot because I don't see him winning against Ellengberger or Fitch. He should have took the fight with Koscheck.
Twenty20Dollars
11/1/11 11:55:41AM
Be mad at the UFC too, b/c Dana likes to change his mind.
postman
11/1/11 11:56:19AM
Carlos Condit is in that spot where Malki Kawa was a good manager but there is a point that that guy just can't get it done and its right about when his fighters are in contendership status. Hes like a B level agent or something. I'm not sure what it is but it just seems like everytime I see that guys name its because he just got bulldozed by someone.
emfleek
11/1/11 11:57:08AM
"Malki...you're fired."

postman
11/1/11 12:03:42PM

Posted by emfleek

"Malki...you're fired."

For real! How is it they have a contract signed to fight for a title and the fight gets bounced. Its the agents job to be sure that NEVER happens. Company Men my ass. The only thing I can think is stacks of cash pushed Condit not to fight in which case Malki shouldn't be running his mouth about it.
emfleek
11/1/11 12:09:13PM

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

"Malki...you're fired."

For real! How is it they have a contract signed to fight for a title and the fight gets bounced. Its the agents job to be sure that NEVER happens. Company Men my ass. The only thing I can think is stacks of cash pushed Condit not to fight in which case Malki shouldn't be running his mouth about it.

I'd say the original contract was void once GSP was injured and a new one hadn't been signed quite yet.
FastKnockout
11/1/11 12:43:50PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

"Malki...you're fired."

I'd say the original contract was void once GSP was injured and a new one hadn't been signed quite yet.

Do you think St. Pierre had a valid injury?
emfleek
11/1/11 12:46:22PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by emfleek

Yes. I'm not a conspiracy theorist.
Wallass
11/1/11 12:55:56PM
I dont blame Condit here, he deserves the shot and will be a better test for GSP than Diaz.
Sir_Karl
11/1/11 1:49:25PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

There is only a small window of hope for Condit's title shot because I don't see him winning against Ellengberger or Fitch.

Personally I think Condit beats both Ellenberger and Fitch. I think Carlos is in the zone and on a roll right now and I don't see too many people beating him at this point. I think the only 170lber who can beat him right now is Diaz. By choosing to fight Diaz I think GSP jumped from the frying pan right into the fire. He had a chance to beat Condit...a small one in my eyes...but I feel he has no chance against Diaz. Oh, the drama...I just hope it all plays out. I think everyone underestimates Carlos....and even after Diaz destroyed Penn, Diaz is still being underestimated as well. I think they are the top 2 in the WW division. GSP's days are numbered.
Manak
11/1/11 2:56:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by emfleek

Yes. I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Yea no way GSP faked an injury, but I am wondering why he choice to fight diaz now instead of condit?? and why did dana let this change happen??

I would feel pretty crappy if I was condit if GSP has this much say why didnt see just say from the start to not pull Diaz but for some reason now the UFC is letting their tittle holder scracth a fight for another..

3 ppl who i feel should have a shot are diaz, condit, fitch. man this who WW division has just been going crazy since the 1st time they said Diaz/GSP. either way i still think GSP goes through them all and is still champ by the same time next yr.
postman
11/1/11 3:22:44PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

"Malki...you're fired."

I would think that a good manager has it in the original contract that if there is an injury to the other fighter his guy still gets first crack at the belt. Its a freaking world title after all.
Poor_Franklin
11/1/11 3:30:34PM
i truly think GSP got injured. then Nick called GSP out & now GSP wants to fight Nick like he originally planned. Condit would've made a good fight for GSP, but it wasn't like he earned the title shot anyways. he'll get over it.
KungFuMaster
11/1/11 4:30:17PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by KungFuMaster

There is only a small window of hope for Condit's title shot because I don't see him winning against Ellengberger or Fitch.

Personally I think Condit beats both Ellenberger and Fitch. I think Carlos is in the zone and on a roll right now and I don't see too many people beating him at this point. I think the only 170lber who can beat him right now is Diaz. By choosing to fight Diaz I think GSP jumped from the frying pan right into the fire. He had a chance to beat Condit...a small one in my eyes...but I feel he has no chance against Diaz. Oh, the drama...I just hope it all plays out. I think everyone underestimates Carlos....and even after Diaz destroyed Penn, Diaz is still being underestimated as well. I think they are the top 2 in the WW division. GSP's days are numbered.

If you were in my camp, I would do everything in my power to convince you otherwise.
KungFuMaster
11/1/11 4:38:20PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i truly think GSP got injured. then Nick called GSP out & now GSP wants to fight Nick like he originally planned. Condit would've made a good fight for GSP, but it wasn't like he earned the title shot anyways. he'll get over it.

I think GSP had a very minor injury and he also wanted more time to train for Condit. IMO, GSP is a perfectionist and takes his job as a fighter more seriously than anybody else in the business. He takes time to study and train for his opponents like no other. I believe GSP did suffer a minor injury but more importantly he wanted more time to train for Condit and that is not due to fear or anything of that nature but rather it is more of a reflection of his dedication to the sport.
prozacnation1978
11/2/11 10:19:22AM
You should have taken the kos fight
Now if he fights kos or ellenburger. He may loose his title shot

Or ufc gives him less of a opponent