The man to stop A. Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The man to stop A. Silva
Next Page »
JBatch
10/31/07 1:04:34AM
This is going to sound crazy to a lot of people but I know just the guy to take out Anderson Silva. It will be one of two guys actually but one I favour more than the other.

The obvious pick would have him match up against Paulo Filho, but I was thinking outside the box, about who could dethrone this master of the clinch and here it is.

David L'Oiseau. He has had some hard times recently but when he is on he will dominate the clinch and is basically impossible to submit. The fight would be an absolute war and I fully believe the crow has what it takes to beat Silva.

Anyways looking for thoughts and what not.

grappler0000
10/31/07 1:10:18AM
I completely disagree. L'Oiseau's biggest strength is his standup...and Franklin schooled him in that realm. Also, Silva's clinch is lightyears ahead of his.

I see the biggest hole in Silva's game being his wrestling. Some good ol' GnP by one of the Team Quest guys would be his biggest challenge.
cmill21
10/31/07 1:10:37AM
Striker vs. Silva is not a good idea unless they're coming directly from K-1.
JBatch
10/31/07 1:11:24AM
So you would be looking for a Matt Lindland signing.
grappler0000
10/31/07 1:14:48AM

Posted by JBatch

So you would be looking for a Matt Lindland signing.

Well, I'm not gonna hold my breath, but maybe they can persuade Hendo to drop back down.
JBatch
10/31/07 1:16:06AM
I for some reason just can't jump on this SIlva bandwagon I so badly want someone to beat him. I know he is a nice guy, he has an impeccable skill set and sticks to gameplans. Yet for some reason I just want to see him beat and hate how everyone is hangng from his nuts.

I just for some reason think L'Oiseau has a chance. Franklin made him gunshy and used jabs from the outside to beat him. If L'Oiseau went for broke and challenged Silva in the clinch I honestly think he would stand a chance.

Also how do you guys think Okami would fair against the champ????
JBatch
10/31/07 1:17:13AM
Hendo vs. Silva would be epic.
kopower
10/31/07 2:07:28AM
Hendo would give Silva a war. He would eat a few punches shooting in but eventually would take Silva down. I know Dan can take a punch how about Silva? Hard to bet against Spider though
hippysmacker
10/31/07 2:36:44AM

Posted by grappler0000

I completely disagree. L'Oiseau's biggest strength is his standup...and Franklin schooled him in that realm. Also, Silva's clinch is lightyears ahead of his.

I see the biggest hole in Silva's game being his wrestling. Some good ol' GnP by one of the Team Quest guys would be his biggest challenge.

Coul n't have said it better myself
jomatty
10/31/07 5:10:35AM
the crow to me seems like a classic bad matchup for the spider. i just dont see where his edge would come from. he is a great striker, but not as good as silva and silva also has an edge on the ground. filho, hendo or lindland seem like the man for the job. someone who can put him on his back and control him positionally. i like hendo or lindland for the job because those greco guys know a thing or two about getting in close and clinching.
KYGUY07
10/31/07 8:40:03AM
I think the crow would do a great job against silva, im not saying he would win, but if he fought like the crow of old then it would be a great fight.
thepunisher
10/31/07 9:02:03AM

Posted by kopower

Hendo would give Silva a war. He would eat a few punches shooting in but eventually would take Silva down. I know Dan can take a punch how about Silva? Hard to bet against Spider though

Taking a punch from Anderson seems to be alot different then taking a punch from a regular 185'r I don't think Hendo wants to take shot from him
woodmo
10/31/07 9:24:37AM
I don't think Silva would want to eat one of Hendo's straight rights either. I think Hendo is one of the few fighters out there that could somewhat dictate his gameplan on Silva, instead of having to fight defensively and counter the whole time. I'm not gonna say this is a definate victory for Hendo- far from it when fighting arguably the best pound for pound fighter on the planet.

Please let this fight happen!
atlas777
10/31/07 9:37:34AM
I believe Dan Henderson or Matt Lindland are the only ones that could pull it off if the UFC would ever sign matt again is a question nobody knows, I would love to see him come back he is one of the best But i would rather see Dan Henderson fight Silva it would be a great match i think Henderson could just pull it off.
ohiostate1016
10/31/07 10:18:43AM
Of course, a Canadian picks Loiseau over The Spider...

Do you think that Cote and Starnes could beat him too?

What about Dave Beneteau?
wagere
10/31/07 10:32:19AM

Posted by grappler0000

I agree totally.
ChokeUout
10/31/07 11:18:36AM
I'll echo what everyone here has said so far. A good wrestler is the best chance. Either Henderson or Hughes. Actually Hughes Sound like he wants to move to Middleweight more than Hendo does, so we'll see
thepunisher
10/31/07 11:26:25AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I didn't pick the Crow of the spider

But Benateau would kill the Spider
JBatch
10/31/07 11:39:46AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Nice season record of 8-10 buddy you can predict em way better than I can.

When you start watching the UFC TUF season 5 or something. I'm saying I am not 100% sold on Anderson SIlva and yes I believe that if SIlva came to a fight just ready and L'Oiseau came pumped up that the Crow could take him.

All it would take is the crow putting him on the ground and then carving the champ up with those elbows.

I mean the guy can't be this good he is taking everyone and making them look silly and somehow Travis Lutter put him in a lot of trouble.
Lay_N_Pray
10/31/07 11:40:38AM
First off I do hang from Anderson's nuts and believe him to be the most exciting skilled fighter I have ever seen (Fedor just isnt as exciting, thats all)

So with that being said he would beat Paulo, I dont see why so many people want to see this matchup. He is very good, but give him another year as champion to keep developing before you throw him in against Silva, he is not on that level right now in my opinion.

Henderson would have a very good chance of doing two things.

A. GnP the hell out of Silva with his superior wrestling since we dont know how Silva can handle a world class wrestler

B. Get knocked out for the first time in his career. I dont care if Page or Wandy couldnt do it. They rely on power to knock people out. Silva will just hit you on the button cause he is that accurate and that WILL knock anyone out over power anyday

Matt Hughes

See above only smaller than Hendo and also no where near as good standing up, but probably a slightly better overall wrestler. Longshot to beat Silva though.
MALICE
10/31/07 6:39:15PM

Posted by cmill21

Striker vs. Silva is not a good idea unless they're coming directly from K-1.

with decent wrestling or jj skills to defend against Silva's jj.
MALICE
10/31/07 6:46:29PM

Posted by thepunisher

Taking a punch from Anderson seems to be alot different then taking a punch from a regular 185'r I don't think Hendo wants to take shot from him

Henderson has taken shots from Jackson, Silva, Belfort, and many other very strong LHW's. A. Silva's may be a very crisp striker, but I'm sure his power is nowhere near the level of these fighters. Hendo can eat a few of Silva's shots, to close the distance, and be unfazed by them. That I am sure of.
BigTomZ
10/31/07 7:13:55PM
Henderson and Lindland are the only ones I could see beating Silva. So if the UFC can't sign Lindland or convince Henderson to drop to 185, I would anticipate a long reign for Silva.
t3xh
10/31/07 9:08:08PM
I think you guys maybe forgeting silva's a black belt in BJJ. It's true his ground game hasn't really been tested and hendo or lindland would be great fights, but crow if he fights at 100% can beat him. Just look at Rampage vs Liddell, liddell looked unstopable rampage came in with a plan and used it. Crow has good stand up and razorblades for elbows.
Pitbull09
10/31/07 9:44:15PM
I must admitt I have been bias against Silva lately and should give him well deserved props but I still think his ground game has some flaws. He hasnt gone against a A level fighter with good grappling (Luther is not A level) so I think Hendo or Lindland might have a chance. If they dont, Silva is KIng in my book.
MondayNiteMauser
11/1/07 4:04:16PM
It's gonna be Dan Henderson. Dan will get it to the ground and control the much smaller Silva. He will probably win by a 5 round decision but i would not be suprised to see an overhand right crack Silva's jaw right out of place.
Aaronno9
11/1/07 4:10:44PM
The main problem with beating silva, imo, is that the only way people seem to think hes going to be beaten is via a decision, and i find myself asking is their any chance a fighter is going to beable to go 5 round with one of the most accurate strikers in mma wihout getting caught? and we all no if anderson tags you once, chances are hes going to follow up and knock you out. While his ground game is suspect, hes still a threat from the bottom, and laying on him for 5 rounds might not be the best idea. The way i see him getting beat, is via the right hand of henderson. Theyv both got granite chins, but i think if they get into a flurry and dan lands it will rock silva, then he can follow up and get a TKO.
TequilaMan2000
11/1/07 8:02:52PM

Posted by JBatch

Also how do you guys think Okami would fair against the champ????

They already fought once...

It was a good fight, and Silva basically had pretty good control, but Okami's wrestling was much better... and he popped him during the Gnp...

While in guard, Silva did an illegal upkick and basically KOed Okami... kicked him with his heel in teh ear...

It was a nasty upkick, from a freakish angle... pretty cool ... Okami got the win, but it was a shitty way to win... from a DQ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/silva+okami/video/xrffr_rotr-anderson-silva-vs-yushin-okami_sport
TequilaMan2000
11/1/07 8:04:28PM
I still say Okami would do well against A Silva...

he has really good striking defense, and he knows how to bring you down to the ground... If he can make it out of the 2nd round, I could see Okami pulling a decision...
MALICE
11/1/07 8:14:51PM
It was a freaky kick, but it didn't look like Silva was in any real danger at anytime in that fight. He was still, pretty much controlling, from the bottom.
Pages: [1] 2