My Man Brandon Vera

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » My Man Brandon Vera
TWITA
7/20/08 11:15:46PM
I'm a huge BV fan (look at my av). However, I was thoroughly unimpressed with his performance last night. Sure - he might have been drained by the weight cut but given the advantages he had over Andy - reach, height, striking, speed, etc, etc, etc - I thought his performance was sub par. I really hope the "exciting" BV is back for the next fight.
joshryanshepherd
7/20/08 11:36:19PM
yeah i know exactly what you mean i though it was gonna be the most exciting fight of the night but i was completely let down. im a big Vera fan myself (see my fav ranks) but that was a pitiful performance
xposipx
7/20/08 11:40:13PM
I'm a big fan too and was severely let down. However, he was desperate for a win and just fought safe to get the W. I don't think he was as drained as he said and just didn't want to say something like that in front of the fans in the cage and receive even more booing. He should be back to old in his next fight. They will most likely match him up with someone who will force him to be exciting anyways.

Possible fun matchups: Houston Alexander, Tomasz Drwal, Stephan Bonnar, Antonio Mendes, Sokoudjou, Goran Reljic
jimmypockets
7/20/08 11:58:37PM
He looked gassed with a minute left in the first round. There is no reason for that. I think he doesn't train as hard as he should. He seems to talk the talk but rarely walks the walk. I want to like the guy but I haven't had a reason to cheer for him yet. He has amazing standup but he doesn't seem to be trying to improve himself.
joshryanshepherd
7/20/08 11:59:04PM
Goran Reljic would be a perfect match
Jackelope
7/20/08 11:59:52PM
I'm going to be crucified for it, but I've never been impressed with Brandon Vera. Several times (minus the Timmah fight) I've wanted to pick against him, but my camp members always talk me out of it.

He came in with a flash, but IMO he's fizzling. He's got to change stuff up. He knocked out my boy Frank Mir and all credit is given where due, but that wasn't the Frank Mir of old or the Frank Mir of today.

IMO the only fight he really impressed me with was against Assuerio Silva.
bigbubbano23
7/21/08 1:15:34AM
he looks like he can do damage but he dosn't. idk i don't like his style.
fonduktoe
7/21/08 5:06:41AM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm going to be crucified for it, but I've never been impressed with Brandon Vera. Several times (minus the Timmah fight) I've wanted to pick against him, but my camp members always talk me out of it.

He came in with a flash, but IMO he's fizzling. He's got to change stuff up. He knocked out my boy Frank Mir and all credit is given where due, but that wasn't the Frank Mir of old or the Frank Mir of today.

the frank mir of today will get his ass kicked by noguiera
that said i don't think anyone could be impressed by vera's 205 debut without lying to themselves and others
could be the weight cut (remember swick v burkman) but whatever it is he might not want to look like crap in his next fight if he wants to be considered a contender in any weight class
Jackelope
7/21/08 8:30:49AM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by Jackelope

the frank mir of today will get his ass kicked by noguiera
that said i don't think anyone could be impressed by vera's 205 debut without lying to themselves and others
could be the weight cut (remember swick v burkman) but whatever it is he might not want to look like crap in his next fight if he wants to be considered a contender in any weight class

LOL, trust me... I 100% agree with you on the Frank Mir of today getting his ass kicked by Nog.
mrkennedy
7/21/08 9:16:00AM
put him vs soko

That will be a awsome fight
MFOTHER
7/21/08 1:49:02PM
go figure. i fianally give vera a chance, and want him to have a dominant victory , and its a BORING fight......:banghead

the first few mins were good
MFOTHER
7/21/08 2:22:03PM
he made $200,000!?!?!?!?! wtf something is wrong here.

he made as much as anderson silva,
more than 10x what franca made, and almost 10x what edgar made (with win bonus)

there is a problem here.

lin k
mkiv9secsupra
7/21/08 2:27:39PM
Face it. Brandon Vera is way over hyped and will most likely never live up to it. He wont ever climb the ranks at 205 or HW. Hes going to be a gatekeeper for the UFC
nickcuc547
7/21/08 3:39:47PM
vera did have a lot to lose in that fight which may be why he fought so dull. i think the ufc will put him against an aggressive guy in his next fight. wandy? soko? shogun???
GrizzlyChadams
7/21/08 4:03:58PM
I don't think you guys are giving brandon enough credit here. He took his first fight at 205 on short notice. Like he said, it was a rougher cut then he was expecting and i believe it. I think he will do very well at 205, just needs time.
TWITA
7/21/08 5:27:38PM
If you remember when Swick dropped down, his first fight (vs. Burkman), was pretty bad and he stated that the drop was a little more difficult than expected. His next fight (vs. Marcus Davis) he looked much better - crisper, stronger, had more stamina. I hope that BV will turn it around like Swick did.
Buddharox
7/21/08 5:38:41PM
I was so bored from that fight I fell asleep during the 2nd round and missed Silva's fight :(
whardin19
7/21/08 8:20:47PM
He said he was gassed so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. The first cut down like that is always rough on fighters because they don't know how to do it. Vera will be much better next time out guarnteed.
Jackelope
7/21/08 9:43:40PM
I'd buy the first weight cut bit if he-

A) Was new to the game
B) Had never wrestled before

Unfortunately neither of these are true. He clinched against Tim Sylvia after breaking his hand, and while I hate to assume his pain was any less or worse than anyone else who's broken their hand in MMA, I've seen plenty of guys throw with a broken one. For a recent example you can take a look at Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver.

Or take a look at Randy Couture vs. Gabe Gonzaga when Couture broke his ARM and still kept swinging.

Granted everyone handles pain differently, but for me it just solidifies my thoughts that he's always been overhyped and he's been scared now that he's taken some defeats. I think he doesn't prepare well enough and it shows through when he doesn't get the early KO. Hopefully for his career's sake he'll train harder than ever, stop taking himself so seriously and start taking his opponents more seriously.

MMAcca
7/22/08 3:01:41AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Face it. Brandon Vera is way over hyped and will most likely never live up to it. He wont ever climb the ranks at 205 or HW. Hes going to be a gatekeeper for the UFC

That's exactly what i said on the Fight Night 14 PBP
bls1919
7/22/08 10:27:03PM
What hapened to the Brandon vera that TKO'd mir, and KTFO Eilers. he wasn't in the cage on Saturday night. Mr. Vera needs to come at it a bit stronger if he wants to rise to the top of the LHW ladder
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/22/08 11:40:26PM
I thought brandon would of come in cut like bisping at 185. He still had all the same fat on him. He could make 185 with proper training imo. Very unimpressive display vs reese.
TOMMYAYO05
7/23/08 12:28:02AM
iv been really upset with his past three performances....i thought he would be the top dawg and was the future,but i can name numerous fighters in both weight classes that would be victorious against him.............fedor,big nog,couture,lidell,machida,wandi,shogun,rampage,forrest,barnett,aleskander i mean this list goes on and on...not impressed he needs to step it up big time
jawbreaker517
7/23/08 8:48:23PM
Vera is probably just adjusting to a different weight class. I would say he'll be back for his next fight.
Wolfenstein
7/23/08 10:22:22PM
He looked like a giant in comparison to his opponent. There just didn't seem to be a way he could possibly not win against Reese. In fact I thought it was outright shameful that the UFC made this mismatch.

Brandon just looked like he had his heart ripped out by the middle of the second round. He still looks like a wad of pizza dough. I wish this guy would get in shape because he has an awesome set of skills.

Brandon just doesn't have the will to dig down within himself and prove "Yeah I want to be an F'N fighter!"

Maybe the light bulb will go on someday ala BJ Penn. I think someone will have to smash him for him to get it. I don't mean just beat him--I mean absolutely maul and outclass him when he's gassed. Then when he goes over the film of his last fight, and observes the thrashing he has recieved; he looks into the mirror and see a ghastly reflection of himself; his face a mesh of otherworldly purple bubbles and scabs, he'll say to himself..."Damn." A light flickers in his skull and a voice from the heavens says, "Thou must get in shape."