The man to beat Fedor...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The man to beat Fedor...
Next Page »
richieb19
5/2/07 11:42:02PM
...is not a common powerhouse, althought CroCop, Minotoro and Barnett have been shreading it up in the top ranks of the heavyweight division, they do not hold the potential skillset to dethrone the beast. The person to beat Fedor Emelianenko is Pawel Nastula, and before you start ranting about how he had won 1 out of 4 of his Pride matches, you should really stop to concider what I'm saying... First of all you must realize that my opinion isnt biased in any way, as Pawel by no means is a favored fighter of mine, although I DO respect him... People go on and on and on about Rickson Gracie and his ~400-0~ record, yet they neglet to see Pawel's 312-0 Judo record... now before I get any more off topic, let me just say that when it comes right down to it, Pawel was thrown to the wolves... more than any fighter in the history of MMA IMHO... and he did very well concidering... Now with 4 fight under his belt and nogi knowledge under his belt I have to say he is the worst threat for the reigning champ, as his clinch skills strongly outmatch those of the Russian, and when it comes to the ground it is a strong advantage towards the Judo gold medalist Nastula... now by no means am I saying he WILL / WOULD win, I'm only saying that he poses the most threat...

I also realize that most pepple will blindly post "Fedor is unbreatable" or "Nastula is 1-3, he can't beat Fedor"... I can only hope smarter fans can see my point...

Here is his entire MMA carrer:
Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqEw8F9vJ8[/url]
Vs. Aleksander Emelianenko: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwtW3ociAs[/url]
Vs. Edson Drago: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsQNaDR2K6A[/url]
Vs. Josh Barnett: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TymC62pAjZs[/url]
xthe_scottx
5/3/07 12:39:00AM
I agree that Nastula has a better chance against Fedor than most. A really good judo fighter would seem to have the best style against him and Nastula is the best at HW. I've always thought a very technical Muay Thai striker with good knees in the clinch would have a decent chance but since I don't know of anyone like this at HW, Nastula appears to be the best opponent (still an unlikely win though).

PS your video links were removed except Drago so here are the fights:
Pawel Nastula vs Rodrigo Nogueira
Pawel Nastula vs Aleksander Emelianenko
Pawel Nastula vs Josh Barnett
richieb19
5/3/07 12:42:10AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I agree that Nastula has a better chance against Fedor than most. A really good judo fighter would seem to have the best style against him and Nastula is the best at HW. I've always thought a very technical Muay Thai striker with good knees in the clinch would have a decent chance but since I don't know of anyone like this at HW, Nastula appears to be the best opponent (still an unlikely win though).

PS your video links were removed except Drago so here are the fights:
Pawel Nastula vs Rodrigo Nogueira
Pawel Nastula vs Aleksander Emelianenko
Pawel Nastula vs Josh Barnett

Thanks for reposting!!! But even with great strikers Fedor seems to have a plan, like Goodridge, Schilt and Mirko... and by no means is this a pro Fedor thread, but a man like Nasty is the the man to do the job...
BadSanta
5/3/07 12:49:44AM
Gonzaga will beat Fedor if given the chance.
loller90278
5/3/07 12:52:20AM
i do agree he was definatly thrown to the wolves. if he got a few warm up matches i think he could have won some of those fights (especially against barnett) while i do see your point, he matches up great with fedor, i think fedors ground game is a little bit too dominant for nastula. i also think he blew his chances by testin positive for roids. but only time can tell, and i wouldn't be SHOCKED to see him beat fedor.
richieb19
5/3/07 12:53:16AM

Posted by BadSanta

What gives you that idea? the fact that you just recently jumped on his bandwaggon after his one in a million win over CroCop or the fact that you havent seen any of his previous fights and that he hasnt any of the tools to beat any of the current top 5 HW fighters?
xthe_scottx
5/3/07 12:54:33AM

Posted by richieb19
Thanks for reposting!!! But even with great strikers Fedor seems to have a plan, like Goodridge, Schilt and Mirko... and by no means is this a pro Fedor thread, but a man like Nasty is the the man to do the job...

I'm talking about a striker similar to Anderson Silva. One with great punches, kicks, knees, and elbows with the ability to keep the opponent standing in front of him (not saying his takedown defense is great but he simply has the ability to always make his opponent want to stand). He would also obviously need a great takedown defense too though. That's just my opinion though...
richieb19
5/3/07 12:54:59AM

Posted by loller90278

i do agree he was definatly thrown to the wolves. if he got a few warm up matches i think he could have won some of those fights (especially against barnett) while i do see your point, he matches up great with fedor, i think fedors ground game is a little bit too dominant for nastula. i also think he blew his chances by testin positive for roids. but only time can tell, and i wouldn't be SHOCKED to see him beat fedor.

He tested positive for over the counter "roids", and hopefully everything clears for him... as far as ground game goes, I don't see Fedor as anywhere in his league if Nasty comes in prepared...
loller90278
5/3/07 12:56:06AM
i think nastual needs to develop his GnP a little bit more, and his sub defense.. that ankle lock (was it that?) vs barnett was silly.
richieb19
5/3/07 12:59:10AM

Posted by loller90278

i think nastual needs to develop his GnP a little bit more, and his sub defense.. that ankle lock (was it that?) vs barnett was silly.

Sure, but you also have to realize that Barnett is like the new Ken Shamrock, there is no one in the world at HW with the same amount of knowledge in leglocks as him... especially a judoka like Nasty...
BadSanta
5/3/07 1:05:35AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by BadSanta

What gives you that idea? the fact that you just recently jumped on his bandwaggon after his one in a million win over CroCop or the fact that you havent seen any of his previous fights and that he hasnt any of the tools to beat any of the current top 5 HW fighters?

Hold on a sec. I never underestimated Gonzaga and admonished others about their Crocop nuthugging. Also, I'm not on any Gonzaga bandwagon but I'm really impressed with his skills on the ground, youth and skill in developing strategy. If he beats Randy, will you give him good odds against any future matchup with Fedor?
richieb19
5/3/07 1:07:59AM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by richieb19

Posted by BadSanta

Hold on a sec. I never underestimated Gonzaga and admonished others about their Crocop nuthugging. Also, I'm not on any Gonzaga bandwagon but I'm really impressed with his skills on the ground, youth and skill in developing strategy. If he beats Randy, will you give him good odds against any future matchup with Fedor?

To be honest I give him very little chance to start with against Randy... but thats just me...

Like I said I'm not discrediting any ither HW fighters, I just think Nasty is the man to take the "thrown"...
loller90278
5/3/07 1:31:40AM
i think gonzaga WILL beat randy, but randy never impressed me either. if he defends his title sucessfully, then i will admit that he is the real deal.
richieb19
5/3/07 1:35:38AM

Posted by loller90278

i think gonzaga WILL beat randy, but randy never impressed me either. if he defends his title sucessfully, then i will admit that he is the real deal.

Randy's career has been nothing but impressive, and if it takes him beating Gonzaga for you to see that then you either havent seen all of his matches or just simply can't appreciate them...
loller90278
5/3/07 1:38:50AM
i've seen most of his matches, and yeah - somethin about him displeases me. he's not really great at anything, a jack of all trades in a way.. (besides wrestling)

but yeah, who would win.. NASTULA or RANDY?
richieb19
5/3/07 1:55:04AM

Posted by loller90278

i've seen most of his matches, and yeah - somethin about him displeases me. he's not really great at anything, a jack of all trades in a way.. (besides wrestling)

but yeah, who would win.. NASTULA or RANDY?

Between Nastula and Ramdy I'd have to give the wrestling adv. to Pawel, however I wouldnt put a dime on it...
loller90278
5/3/07 1:56:14AM
well thats the difference between me and you i guess, i'd bet the house on nastulaaaa

kerazzle
5/3/07 2:14:59AM
Nastula IMO is a fighter with great potential and would give Fedor all he can handle in the beginning of the fight. With that being said, Nastula ahs shown serious conditioning issues in his fights. He got tired vs. Barnett and tired vs alexander and got subbed by bother. Even if he does work on his conditioning alot i cant see him outlasting fedor in a 20-25 minute match. If he had developed some super awesome conditioing though i could see a decision victory.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/3/07 2:19:32AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by BadSanta

One in a million chance against CroCop?...are you serious?

After seeing Gonzaga vs CroCop I dont see CroCop beating Gonzaga in any way....to be Honest I gave Gonzaga a 40/60 chance against CC(judging on GG past preformances with strikers)...but as soon at the fight started and i saw how GG was being very aggressive,and making CC retreat i knew GG was gonna win,and AFTER i saw it happen...i now give GG a 90/10 over CC

I also see Gonzaga beating Fedor,it doesnt mean i am Jumping an anyone's Bandwagon just because of 1 big win over a top HW...you wont see me sporting a Gonzaga T-Shirt or anything...i just think he has what it takes to dethrone "Teh Russian"..

Fanboy 1988
5/3/07 2:53:09AM
Well, if there's one thing this year has proven it's that nobody's unbeatable, including Fedor..

Gonzaga was throwing some nasty elbows at CC and everbody knows how easly Fedor can get cut.. I strongly think if Fedor went into the UFC he'd have a loss on his record before he'd retire...

Unlike the Randleman fight, Gonzaga victory over CC wasn't a fluke. In the short time they fought Ganzaga was killing CC on all ends, I can't help but think 20-30 % of CC's power comes from his opponents being alittle afraid of him, when you take someone that's willing to stand and brawl with him like Hunt or Fedor CC seems alittle lost and not sure what to do....

I would think if Fedor came into the UFC he'd be more prepared then CC was, so if Gonzaga fought Fedor I would probably put my money on Fedor. That doesn't mean I would'nt be shocked if Gonzaga knocked Fedor the **** out ofcourse
johny_rotten
5/3/07 3:11:52AM
To think a judo gold medalist with marginal stand up, a bad gas tank, and who just tested positive for steroids has a chance against Fedor is crazy. Besides his MMA accomplishments Fedor is a world champion Sambo expert. Judging by the many of men who competed in MMA with just Judo back rounds compared to the sambo guys Sambo looks like the more dominant art to me. I mainly say this because they a very similar. Fedor already destroyed Nagawa who was a silver medalist in Judo, and had much more time and success at utilizing that in MMA.

There are two guys that have not stepped in the ring with Fedor that I could see havening a legitimate shot to defeat him. As much as I hate to say it the first would be Chuck. If he could keep Fedor off of him as he as done with so many other dominant wrestlers he could have a shot at scoring the KO. I would pick Fedor, but it could happen. The other would be Shogun. Rua is the only other fighter I have seen in MMA who no matter where the fight goes has proven to dominate. I would say he is about 1 year to having a real shot, but it could happen. Both are LHWs, but Fedor isn't that big. Same height as both standing 6'1'', and is only 25lbs heavier than the weight both fight at, but both lose at least 15lbs to make weight.
johny_rotten
5/3/07 3:12:27AM
To think a judo gold medalist with marginal stand up, a bad gas tank, and who just tested positive for steroids has a chance against Fedor is crazy. Besides his MMA accomplishments Fedor is a world champion Sambo expert. Judging by the many of men who competed in MMA with just Judo back rounds compared to the sambo guys Sambo looks like the more dominant art to me. I mainly say this because they a very similar. Fedor already destroyed Nagawa who was a silver medalist in Judo, and had much more time and success at utilizing that in MMA.

There are two guys that have not stepped in the ring with Fedor that I could see havening a legitimate shot to defeat him. As much as I hate to say it the first would be Chuck. If he could keep Fedor off of him as he as done with so many other dominant wrestlers he could have a shot at scoring the KO. I would pick Fedor, but it could happen. The other would be Shogun. Rua is the only other fighter I have seen in MMA who no matter where the fight goes has proven to dominate. I would say he is about 1 year to having a real shot, but it could happen. Both are LHWs, but Fedor isn't that big. Same height as both standing 6'1'', and is only 25lbs heavier than the weight both fight at, but both lose at least 15lbs to make weight.
mkiv9secsupra
5/3/07 5:06:09AM

Posted by johny_rotten

yeah your right. sambo just appears to be more dominant art. nastula cant use judo on fedor anyways. his balance is way too good. any judo pawel tries to use will just set up a take down for fedor.

ps isnt chuck 6'2'' and fedor 6''0'?
cowcatcher
5/3/07 5:33:26AM
jumping on gonzaga after one big win is kind of foolish IMO. im not saying hes not good, but i didnt see all these people posting about how great he was and how he could beat fedor before the CC fight. is joe lauzon ready now to win the LW title because he beat the former champ? gonzaga looked great in the CC fight from bell to bell, but can he get as focused and feed off of the underdog title as much again when he fights randy or even if he were to fight fedor? i still think CC, randy, or even barnett could beat fedor, not saying they would but they could. nastula is no where near ready yet for fedor, hes potentially a great fighter but so was randleman. once i see nastula make a full time commitment to MMA on a large scale, and BEAT, not fight, multiple quality opponents then we can talk about him.
hippysmacker
5/3/07 5:37:13AM

Posted by cowcatcher

jumping on gonzaga after one big win is kind of foolish IMO. im not saying hes not good, but i didnt see all these people posting about how great he was and how he could beat fedor before the CC fight. is joe lauzon ready now to win the LW title because he beat the former champ? gonzaga looked great in the CC fight from bell to bell, but can he get as focused and feed off of the underdog title as much again when he fights randy or even if he were to fight fedor? i still think CC, randy, or even barnett could beat fedor, not saying they would but they could. nastula is no where near ready yet for fedor, hes potentially a great fighter but so was randleman. once i see nastula make a full time commitment to MMA on a large scale, and BEAT, not fight, multiple quality opponents then we can talk about him.

I agree. I would like to see him improve for a couple of years , and win some big fights before I take him seriously as a threat to Fedor
richieb19
5/3/07 12:28:33PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by johny_rotten

yeah your right. sambo just appears to be more dominant art. nastula cant use judo on fedor anyways. his balance is way too good. any judo pawel tries to use will just set up a take down for fedor.

ps isnt chuck 6'2'' and fedor 6''0'?

The differences between Sambo and Judo are very minimal, they are almost one and the same, and Fedor also fought in Judo aswell... but this isn't about what artform work better by any means because Nasty would probably pwn Fedor just as bad in either, it's about the person I'm talking about... Yoshida is a gold medalist aswell, and one of my favorite fighters but I wouldnt give him a chance in hell against Fedor stylistically.

Aside from being misinformed about the steroid issue, the original quote is correct about the limited standup and conditioning issues, and I have already adressed this... if Nasty came in with a good plan and a good tank, the only way I see Fedor beating him is like he did againsy Gary Goodridge, overwhelming him in the standup and dissalowing a clinch...
Trapt1nw0nder
5/3/07 12:56:47PM

Posted by cowcatcher

um..I disagree..

Gonzaga beating CC was NO FLUKE! he dominated him for the whole 5 mins and the finish was just the icing on the cake(hot sause on the burrito for me..cuz i dont like cake..) ......Joe Lauzon KO'd Pulver with 1 punch at the begining of the fight.

loller90278
5/3/07 1:20:08PM
whoever that states that randelmans win over cc was a fluke should be shot. he executed his gameplan perfectly just like gonzaga did. the only difference is that cc actually wanted to fight in the randleman match.
Pookie
5/3/07 1:21:43PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by cowcatcher

um..I disagree..

Gonzaga beating CC was NO FLUKE! he dominated him for the whole 5 mins and the finish was just the icing on the cake(hot sause on the burrito for me..cuz i dont like cake..) ......Joe Lauzon KO'd Pulver with 1 punch at the begining of the fight.

I think its silly giving gonzaga this much credit after one fight. Cro-cop in all honesty looked like crap in that fight. The man gets cocky and doesnt think he has to train, loses than comes back at top level. If they had a rematch ill bet the bank on cro cop
warglory
5/3/07 1:24:52PM

Posted by loller90278

whoever that states that randelmans win over cc was a fluke should be shot. he executed his gameplan perfectly just like gonzaga did. the only difference is that cc actually wanted to fight in the randleman match.

Randleman may have planned, but the fact that he was able to GnP him so effortlessly is completely unlike CroCop to allow himself to get inot that position. Randleman was the man that night, but their rematch I think gives us a more telling tale of what Randleman is capable of against CroCop, especially a pissed off one.
Pages: [1] 2 3