Making Dangerous: Why Dan Henderson Wins

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Making Dangerous: Why Dan Henderson Wins
JWils
2/21/08 1:31:41PM
Making Dangerous: Why Dan Henderson Wins

"As I posted an article on the fighting style of UFC champion Anderson Silva as a lead up to this fight, it’s both fair and necessary to do the same for Pride welterweight champion Dan Henderson."
Menard_StC
2/21/08 2:06:47PM
I disagree with the writer that submissions from the guard are really a viable option against Dan these days, unless your last name is Nogueira.

He has been caught in the past, but only from Nog brothers... and there is no shame in that. Dan has fought guys like Bustamante, Arona, Ninja, Renzo, Babalu, and Newton and avoided subs from them, so I don't see Anderson as a huge submission threat over Hendo. He also has trained with Mayhem Miller who is one of the best pure BJJ guys at 185 lbs, and Matt Horwich who isn't that great, but does have 18 submission wins.

I think Misaki (in both thier fights) has shown the gameplan to beating Hendo... use combos and kicks and STAY AWAY! Silva is certainly capable of this, the only question is whether or not he is strong enough to stay on his feet once Dan gets a hold of him.
roman
2/21/08 3:08:54PM
I agree with him. I actually said when I first heard this fight was going to happen that the only way Hendo loses is by a submission. Silva is so weird and unorthodox on the ground (look at that lutter fight and the illegal up kick to Okami) that he has a very real chance of catching Dan. I don't see him KO'ing Hendo or even beating him on the feet. Hendos chin is just to strong and his hands are way more heavy then Silvas. But if he takes it to the ground he can be submitted (Silva trains with Nog now) and thats the only way he will lose the fight.
BIGKAT
2/21/08 3:15:23PM
GO DAN GO!!!!

-------------------------------------------------

"I can tell that this guy isnt Fedor because this guy is fighting a ranked Heavy Weight!"
stock
2/21/08 4:33:03PM

Posted by Menard_StC

I disagree with the writer that submissions from the guard are really a viable option against Dan these days, unless your last name is Nogueira.

He has been caught in the past, but only from Nog brothers... and there is no shame in that. Dan has fought guys like Bustamante, Arona, Ninja, Renzo, Babalu, and Newton and avoided subs from them, so I don't see Anderson as a huge submission threat over Hendo. He also has trained with Mayhem Miller who is one of the best pure BJJ guys at 185 lbs, and Matt Horwich who isn't that great, but does have 18 submission wins.

I think Misaki (in both thier fights) has shown the gameplan to beating Hendo... use combos and kicks and STAY AWAY! Silva is certainly capable of this, the only question is whether or not he is strong enough to stay on his feet once Dan gets a hold of him.

I think the only way Hendu loses this is if he gets dropped standing. I think Dan is just too strong for Silva on the ground to get submitted. Dan will crush him up against the cage and GnP.
I also don't see Silva getting a takedown or getting top position on Hendu on the ground.

Just IMO.
Pookie
2/21/08 5:11:21PM
The Mark Hunt effect lol
buryyourdead
2/21/08 8:39:28PM
I like decision dan in this one. He's reeeeeeal tough to ko and a sub might be just as hard. Real interesting fight though I can't wait to see it all go down. It's a fans dream so let's all sit back and enjoy the show. What happens if Anderson wins though? Ryo Chonan perhaps? LOL
Pookie
2/22/08 4:59:08AM
It says he made one about Anderson Silva....

How come that ones not on the site?
JWils
2/22/08 9:09:09AM

Posted by Pookie

It says he made one about Anderson Silva....

How come that ones not on the site?

Do a search in the News Forum for "In Rio: The Spider Steps on You". There is a link to the article he wrote about Anderson Silva.
bls1919
2/22/08 8:00:33PM
In the end i think Henderson has more ways to win the fight thats why i have him picked to win. Although i do disagree, if he does get beat i think it will be a KO
MMAcca
2/23/08 4:18:21AM

Posted by Menard_StC

The Spider's BJJ coach's last name is......
LayinFrame
2/23/08 8:14:51AM

Posted by Pookie

The Mark Hunt effect lol

Vietnamese_Guy
2/23/08 8:23:30PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Menard_StC

The Spider's BJJ coach's last name is......

you forget that both arona and bustamante trained with the nog brothers at the time Dan fought them