UFC makes official Jan. 19 card in Brazil with Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping headliner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC makes official Jan. 19 card in Brazil with Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping headliner
Next Page »
Budgellism
11/3/12 11:10:02AM
Reports of new bouts for the UFC's return to Brazil in January had been trickling in with regularity earlier this week. Now they're official.

The UFC today announced a 12-fight card in Brazil for Jan. 19, though the host city and venue are still to be determined and, the UFC said, will be announced soon. The four-fight main card is likely to air on either FX or FUEL TV.

Headlining the event will be a middleweight bout between recent light heavyweight title challenger and former middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort (21-10 MMA, 10-6 UFC) and Michael Bisping (23-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC).

LINK
pmoney
11/3/12 11:47:56AM
Let me be the first to say RIP Bisping.

If the count makes it past the phenom, he will actually have a case for a title shot. This is probably the toughest test of his career though, and Vitor is a mad man. I think Vitor puts it on Bisping.
Budgellism
11/3/12 12:19:22PM

Posted by pmoney

If the count makes it past the phenom, he will actually have a case for a title shot. This is probably the toughest test of his career though, and Vitor is a mad man. I think Vitor puts it on Bisping.

Franklinfan47
11/3/12 12:38:54PM
Wow, its rare the UFC annnounces an entire card at once.

Some solid match ups in there
jlock003
11/3/12 12:44:12PM

Posted by pmoney

I was actually going to ask how many people who think Bisping is undeserving of a title shot should get one if he can beat Vitor. I was already sort of of the opinion he should get a shot but if he can beat Vitor I don't see how anyone could deny him a shot....well unless Weidman just demolishes Boetsch then it's sort of back to square one with the argument.
Budgellism
11/3/12 12:46:14PM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by pmoney

I was actually going to ask how many people who think Bisping is undeserving of a title shot should get one if he can beat Vitor. I was already sort of of the opinion he should get a shot but if he can beat Vitor I don't see how anyone could deny him a shot....well unless Weidman just demolishes Boetsch then it's sort of back to square one with the argument.

I wouldn't complain if they gave him the title shot after beating Belfort (I don't see that happening), but right now he does not deserve the title shot being on a one fight win streak and only beating one top 10-15 opponent ever.
airkerma
11/3/12 1:25:05PM
hmmm.....
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
DrivenDavies15
11/3/12 1:25:44PM
This is a pretty good card top to bottom

Finally Sarafian makes his UFC debut!!
pmoney
11/3/12 1:27:28PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Wow, its rare the UFC annnounces an entire card at once.

Some solid match ups in there

Definitely rare, can't remember the last time I saw a 12-fight card announced all at once. It looks like a great card too, solid matches top to bottom. Throw in it's a Brazil card which will be free on FX or Fuel, this is looking like a home run to me!

Shawn91111
11/3/12 1:30:42PM
I wont have any issue with Bisping getting a title shot if he wins, after Weidman gets a shot barring he gets past Tim
Bubbles
11/3/12 2:21:33PM
shouldn't the Boetsch/Weidman winner get the next title shot regardless? That winner will have 3 top 10 wins in a row. Bisping can fight afterwards if he beats Belfort

4 fight main card? IMO there should be 5 with Barboza/Salas or Lentz/Nunes opening the main card
prozacnation1978
11/3/12 2:29:18PM
Fx shows always get 4 main card fight
With another 5 or so prelims on fuel tv

Decent card
Love the main event.
Co main Danny vs cb should be gabe vs Ben
I can see why this wasn't a ppv
Chael_Sonnen
11/3/12 2:32:26PM
30-27
30-27
29-28
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
For your winner -
Michael Bisping
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
OR
Vitor will pull out due to injury...AGAIN.
BuffaloDave
11/3/12 2:35:28PM
I hope that was just a typo, and CB isn't really the co main event.
Budgellism
11/3/12 2:36:26PM

Posted by Bubbles

shouldn't the Boetsch/Weidman winner get the next title shot regardless? That winner will have 3 top 10 wins in a row. Bisping can fight afterwards if he beats Belfort

4 fight main card? IMO there should be 5 with Barboza/Salas or Lentz/Nunes opening the main card

When I say I won't complain if Bisping gets a title shot I'm assuming the Weidman/Boetsch winner gets the first shot. I would have already given Weidman the title shot to be honest.
sparky
11/3/12 3:32:08PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Bubbles

When I say I won't complain if Bisping gets a title shot I'm assuming the Weidman/Boetsch winner gets the first shot. I would have already given Weidman the title shot to be honest.

Agreed I think Weidman deserved a shot after beating Munoz when he beats Boetsch I think the UFC will have to grant him a title shot and winner of Bisping vs Belfort should be right behind
Bubbles
11/3/12 3:37:49PM

Posted by Budgellism
I would have already given Weidman the title shot to be honest.

same here
kingsmasher
11/3/12 5:01:15PM

Posted by pmoney

"Probably" the toughest of Bispings career? Yeah hands down....Stann is way overrated and I lost respect for him by choosing to train at home for his last fight...Basically didnt care enough about the sport and to give his best IMO...I know the story about his Bro in Law but I am sure Bro in Law woulda wanted him to do what makes him the best...

Im sure Dana is laughing....An american facing a brazilian like Vitor in Brazil....I see Vitor KOing Bisping for the fact he knows Bisping cant knock him out...So why not turn it into a swing for the fences brawl and KO Bis in dominant fashion...
Chael_Sonnen
11/3/12 5:07:41PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by pmoney

"Probably" the toughest of Bispings career? Yeah hands down....Stann is way overrated and I lost respect for him by choosing to train at home for his last fight...Basically didnt care enough about the sport and to give his best IMO...I know the story about his Bro in Law but I am sure Bro in Law woulda wanted him to do what makes him the best...

Im sure Dana is laughing....An american facing a brazilian like Vitor in Brazil....I see Vitor KOing Bisping for the fact he knows Bisping cant knock him out...So why not turn it into a swing for the fences brawl and KO Bis in dominant fashion...

Hey G-E-N-I-U-S

Bisping ISN'T American....DERP??!!!??
kingsmasher
11/3/12 7:59:27PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by pmoney

Hey G-E-N-I-U-S

Bisping ISN'T American....DERP??!!!??

I know made a mistake...how bout anyone that aint brazilian is what I really meant...
Cooler
11/3/12 8:34:13PM
RIP Bisping
Chael_Sonnen
11/3/12 9:10:37PM
I wonder how Bisping likes his VICTORY steaks in Brazil?
jae_1833
11/3/12 10:56:22PM
Like most I agree that Boestch vs Wedman winner gets next title shot, would it be ridiculous to say that during the wait I would want to see Bisping fight one more time if he wins against Vitor.....someone like Franklin?
Budgellism
11/3/12 11:57:45PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I wonder how Bisping likes his VICTORY steaks in Brazil?

I'm thinking through a straw
Budgellism
11/3/12 11:59:46PM

Posted by jae_1833

Like most I agree that Boestch vs Wedman winner gets next title shot, would it be ridiculous to say that during the wait I would want to see Bisping fight one more time if he wins against Vitor.....someone like Franklin?

Not at all. That makes sense to me.
jlock003
11/4/12 1:20:25AM
If Weidman beat Boetsch I say let him have the shot, but if Boetsch beats Weidman then I say let Boetsch and Bisping fight for it. The Okami win was impressive as a finish but Tim got murdered most of that fight and the Lombard fight was disputed. That's not to say he isn't a good fighter it's just to say if he derails Weidman and Bisping somehow gets by Vitor I don't think Boetsch with those two wins jumps Bisping. I realize Bisping only has a one fight win streak against what many of you are calling an overrated Brian Stann, but in all reality I bet 9 out of every 10 of you were convinced Bisping won the Chael fight and upset that Bisping had just screwed up the biggest rematch in UFC history. That being said even if he got that nod his 6 fight winning streak isn't as impressive as Weidman's KO of Munoz. I've seen Bisping definitively lose once. His competition has been less than stellar looking back on it, but if you look at the names he fought when he fought those guys many of them had solid records and some of them were ranked. If Weidman beats Boetsch and does so impressively I don't think anybody can deny him his shot, but again if Boetsch wins I say let him and Bisping fight for it.
george112
11/4/12 1:24:47AM
Not sure if I'm going to ruffle a few feathers but imo I see bisping taking this.

At the same time I love belfort and dislike bisping strongly. But the guy has some skill and I can totally see a UD.going in his favor
moob
11/4/12 7:59:20AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jae_1833

How about, only if he gets past Overeem, Dos Santos, and the entire Flyweight ensemble, whilst standing on his head eating bran flakes?
Budgellism
11/4/12 11:28:56AM

Posted by moob

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jae_1833

How about, only if he gets past Overeem, Dos Santos, and the entire Flyweight ensemble, whilst standing on his head eating bran flakes?

So it's so unbelievable that he would need a three fight win streak to get a title shot that you felt the need to say this?
JackHammerXXX
11/4/12 12:32:18PM
If belfort makes it to the fight, meaning no injury pull out, I'd like to see how the weight cut treats him. He said it's tough and his last fight was at 205, where he seemed comfortable. Bisping is a machine that only gets more steam as the fight goes on.
If vitor comes into this in good shape, mentally and physically, he could clip the count and I believe finish him early. If he comes in and let's bisping set the pace, I believe Michael does what he does best, pick his shots and move around with constant pressure. I also think Bisping will use his wrestling even more here, then he did with Stann, another threat on the feet.

Bisping has slowly become one of my more favorable personalities in mma, I think having him in Brazil against one of their most beloved fighters in Belfort, shows how much mike is willing to earn that shot, and rightfully so, the Ufc has given him his share of hometown/spotlight fights.

Pages: [1] 2