Major props for anyone who can help me (computer game help)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Major props for anyone who can help me (computer game help)
mrsmiley
10/24/09 4:40:59PM
I've been wanting to play this game (Dracula in London),very old school.

A webiste allows you to download it for free and I did.
The game is a zip file but I have no idea how to get it to work.

Here's the page: http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/968

Can anyone help me?

george112
10/24/09 4:55:00PM
well did you unzip it??

do you have the necessary software to play the game?
mrsmiley
10/24/09 5:05:31PM
All that should be good.
it says Bruno can't be found when I attempt to play it.
DosBox
10/24/09 5:08:15PM
Well, what you could do is download WinRAR for free (or WinZip, but WinRAR is permanent whereas WinZip is just a 45 day trial I believe). You can download WinRAR here WinRAR.

Then, after you download it, go to the abandonia webpage again and click on get it! red button to download the game. After you click it, a window should pop up asking you is you want to open/save/cancel, etc... and click save and save the file to your desktop for your convenience.

Once you do that, find the game (with a zip icon) on the desktop and right click on the icon. Once you right click on it, select the option Open with.

After that, choose WinRaR archiver selection and click on it.

A window should pop up with the folder dracula, double click on it.

Then, double click on the Dracula.exe file.

There are other ways of doing this (unzip with WinZap, or extracting files, etc..), but this the advice I received when I wanted to play a few old DOS games a couple of years ago and this is the method I went by and I havent changed a thing. That and WinRAR will not expire after 45 days and it is a nice tool to have (although I do have many actual packaged WinZip CD's, but I received them after I already knew about WinRAR. That being said, I could probably just give you a WinZip CD if interested).

Hope this helps.

grappler0000
10/24/09 5:14:46PM
Did you unzip the game?

What OS are you running?

Which file are you trying to run? Dracula.exe?

What happens prior to getting the error?
Aether
10/26/09 7:45:09AM
need more information.

At what point do you see the error message? All you should have to do is extract the zip and double click dracula.exe.

After looking through the files, I'm assuming by "bruno" you mean "brun20.exe" which is a file in the Dracula folder. This means that either you haven't extracted all of the files to the same directory, or you moved dracula.exe out of the main directory.

When you extract the .zip it should create a folder called "dracula" with the following files:

BOARD1.bas
BOARD2.bas
BRUN20.exe
DRACULA1.exe
DRACULA.exe
ENDGAME.exe
FINDATA1.txt
FINDATA2.txt
HUNTER1.exe
LAIR1.exe
LAIR2.exe
README.doc
ROOMSUB.exe

If your dracula folder is missing any of these files, redownload and extract the .zip file.
mrsmiley
10/26/09 7:27:56PM
I finaly got it to work.
Thanks for all the help guys!