UFC 88 Main Event Reportedly Set

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 88 Main Event Reportedly Set
Next Page »
DCRage
6/13/08 12:02:41PM
And you're going to be disappointed. The UFC 88 Main Event looks to be Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, take 2. They were to have met at UFC 85 but injuries canned those plans.

Article
DCRage
6/13/08 12:06:02PM
This also likely means no Anderson Silva going up to 205 to face Liddell. For now, anyway. Hopefully more on the story later.
Ordep
6/13/08 12:09:22PM

The event that I'm going to and the crappiest main event of the year, lame.
They better add some actual interesting fights to this card.
hodge
6/13/08 12:13:34PM
Id rather wait for shogun 2 recover or see him fight Machida
casey64
6/13/08 12:14:09PM
DAMN!
Focker101
6/13/08 12:14:31PM
I am happy about this
I cant wait for someone to knock Sugar Rashad out cold
I cant stand him as a fighter
I think Chuck has the best style to do it

And I dont even like Chuck this will be my first time rooting for him

WAR Chuck

p.s. I do hope they come up with some other good matches for the guys going live
and to make it a good PPV
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/13/08 12:20:07PM
This event could still be awesome. Add Wanderlei vs. Machida, Thiago Silva vs. Sokoudjou and Rich Franklin vs Dan Henderson and this card would be off the hook!
Porch28
6/13/08 12:41:03PM
Please just make Evans go away
Mayhem13
6/13/08 12:41:09PM
gay in a half shell!

ehh it wouldnt be as bad if they hadnt of had all these rumors about Anderson vs Chuck or Chuck Wanderlei 2.....now after all those rumors hearing Chuck vs Rashad is kind of a let down....

but should still be a good fight, with a nice KO by Chuck...we havents een one of those in a little while.
jakeiceman
6/13/08 12:41:38PM

Damn, I really thought we had dodged this crappy fight!

Everyone look at the bright side, this fight might suck but it will be the last time we have to see Rashad Evans on a main event. Even the Liddell haters should be thanking him, I'm tired of Evans being ranked so high without beating anyone worth of note. (not to mention that he rarely finishes fights and I hate when he dances around )

Hopefully Chuck will be 100% by then, a hamstring injury like his takes time to heal properly, but I think this fight ends early, late first or early second. Evans is a good wrestler with average striking at best, and Liddell has long had the answer for this style.
MaxOne
6/13/08 12:46:32PM

Posted by DCRage

This also likely means no Anderson Silva going up to 205 to face Liddell. For now, anyway. Hopefully more on the story later.

Why would anderson go up to face chuck? If he goes up it should be to face rampage or whoever has the belt at the time.
Aaronno9
6/13/08 12:50:47PM
Well, at least we know one thing, chuck aint getting injured in this fight so we might still get to see him fight shogun before to long.
Twenty20Dollars
6/13/08 12:55:21PM
I'm not going to complain about this fight, because i am going to try and look it as an exciting fight for Liddell. Hopefully we can see a liddell KO/tko highlight reel, maybe a head kick like he did against babalu.

Rashad is going to have a long time, Liddell is a better striker, bigger, stronger, taller, better sprawl. Rashad isnt the best at submissions and is pretty small for 205. So i dont see rashad getting the takedown unless chuck throws a kick but i dont see rashad holding liddell down on the ground.
MMAcca
6/13/08 1:00:01PM
I don't see Chuck throwing a kick either
gsquat
6/13/08 2:12:21PM
Who's upset? Huh? Did I miss something? Its gonna be great seein' Rashad beat on a top contender. You should not all be so shallow as to think Rashad is gonna come in and try to wrestle Chuck to a decision.
89vision
6/13/08 2:29:10PM
why cant it just be Anderson/Okami, Franklin/Hendo (co-main) and this snoozefest or early KO (depending on how they play it out) can just be on the main card
dannyfrank
6/13/08 2:34:41PM
so basically, they are giving chuck a snack before he can get a real fight. oh well, at least there's gonna be a KO
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
6/13/08 2:41:39PM
Rashad sux ass and brings nothing to the table but man rape. PLEASE Liddell send him to the hospital, MMA is better without worthless boring figherts. If grounded knees make a comeback Rashed is big time fuked. Oh yea and Thiago Silva still needs to choke that bitch out!
DaMaGeInC
6/13/08 3:27:31PM
FantasyFighter
6/13/08 4:13:36PM

Posted by Ordep

The event that I'm going to and the crappiest main event of the year, lame.
They better add some actual interesting fights to this card.

I am so disappointed that Rashad Evans is gonna be headlining my first UFC Hopefully, it will be so loaded with good fights I wont even care!!!

Or if Wanderlei is fighting!!!!!!!! Then I wouldnt care what the rest of the card looked like!!!!!!
CwB
6/13/08 4:45:29PM
it seems like everyone is counting evans out...

i am the biggest chuck fan out there and i believe chuck will win but i would never take a fighter lightly.

we all remember the upsets this year...

This very well could be another if chuck takes this fight lightly.
prozacnation1978
6/13/08 5:00:35PM
hey
chuck vs anybody is a good main event
figures it would be rashad, shogun is still hurt,
jakeiceman
6/13/08 5:40:24PM

Posted by gsquat

Who's upset? Huh? Did I miss something? Its gonna be great seein' Rashad beat on a top contender. You should not all be so shallow as to think Rashad is gonna come in and try to wrestle Chuck to a decision.

Then please tell me, if he doesnt try to wrestle him, what exactly is he going to do?? Is he going to stand with him, not to sound like I'm bashing him but Rashads striking sucks, when is the last fight he finished....Sean Salmon? Give me a break! Liddell's striking (waiting for Natedawg to jump in.......) is levels LEVELS above Rashads. I hope you are right and that he does try to strike. Liddell is going knock him out!

Rashad will dance around waving his hand in the air like he is at a gay beauty peagant like always and will try to man hump him for three rounds. Evans does not deserve top competition yet, give it to Thiago or Machida.
keith-hackney1
6/13/08 5:43:03PM
I love the way chucks best friend in dana white is gonna pair chuck up the easier side of the chart to get his title shot. If chuck beats rashad, that in my opinion ranks him lower than where jardine is now. The true title tester, the guy to fight and beat in order to get a title shot and the deserved respect of all ufc fans is Machida. I see machida facing wanderlei which is a tougher fight to get a title shot than chuck vs rashad. Why the hell is rashad in the title picture, a split decision win over bisping and a draw with a "has been" tito ortiz dont cut the mustard for me !! Chucks a wash out if he thinks fighting rashad is enough to gain the fans respect in order to fight for a world title.
gsquat
6/13/08 5:47:01PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by gsquat

Then please tell me, if he doesnt try to wrestle him, what exactly is he going to do?? Is he going to stand with him, not to sound like I'm bashing him but Rashads striking sucks, when is the last fight he finished....Sean Salmon? Give me a break! Liddell's striking (waiting for Natedawg to jump in.......) is levels LEVELS above Rashads. I hope you are right and that he does try to strike. Liddell is going knock him out!

Rashad will dance around waving his hand in the air like he is at a gay beauty peagant like always and will try to man hump him for three rounds. Evans does not deserve top competition yet, give it to Thiago or Machida.

Lets leave that to Greg Jackson. I'm pretty sure he just put a gameplan together that beat Chuck, with a fighter who is half the fighter Rashad is.
jakeiceman
6/13/08 5:58:21PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by gsquat

Lets leave that to Greg Jackson. I'm pretty sure he just put a gameplan together that beat Chuck, with a fighter who is half the fighter Rashad is.

Atleast that guy who is "half the fighter" that Rashad is has actually fought competition.....Good for Greg Jackson, was it his gameplan to barely take Tito Ortiz to a decision (which Tito pretty much won)
jakeiceman
6/13/08 6:06:00PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

I love the way chucks best friend in dana white is gonna pair chuck up the easier side of the chart to get his title shot. If chuck beats rashad, that in my opinion ranks him lower than where jardine is now. The true title tester, the guy to fight and beat in order to get a title shot and the deserved respect of all ufc fans is Machida. I see machida facing wanderlei which is a tougher fight to get a title shot than chuck vs rashad. Why the hell is rashad in the title picture, a split decision win over bisping and a draw with a "has been" tito ortiz dont cut the mustard for me !! Chucks a wash out if he thinks fighting rashad is enough to gain the fans respect in order to fight for a world title.

I agree with most of what you said especially about who Rashad has fought (and barely beat) but your out of your mind if you think Liddell is a wash out. Liddell wants the Shogun fight, its not his fault that Shogun was injured and then he was injured. I agree Machida is a better choice and deserves it, I'm not saying that he doesnt. But lets face it, a matchup between Liddell and Machida makes sense but it has the possibilty of being a very boring fight. Your dead on when you say he should face Wandy, the styles contrast and would make for a very exciting fight.
owen1
6/13/08 6:39:25PM
This is bullsh*t!!!
Machida deserves this fight more.Rashad got a draw with Tito(even with tito being docked a point) whereas Machida just dominated him.
Dana is just giving Chuck the easier route to the title coz he knows Machida could pick Chuck apart.
coldchillin
6/13/08 9:39:27PM
I was hoping if Shogun didn't get the fight, that Thiago Silva was going to get his chance to shine against The Iceman. I think Thiago would beat Chuck and Rashad.
gsquat
6/14/08 9:39:01AM

Posted by coldchillin

I was hoping if Shogun didn't get the fight, that Thiago Silva was going to get his chance to shine against The Iceman. I think Thiago would beat Chuck and Rashad.

wishful thinking
Pages: [1] 2