Another UFC Main Event, Another Judging Contoversy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Another UFC Main Event, Another Judging Contoversy
Gogoplatapus
11/23/09 12:44:44AM
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=299457

LAS VEGAS -- Mixed martial arts may be enjoying rapid growth but it is also experiencing growing pains when it comes to judging.

For the third card in a row, the UFC found itself frustrated and somewhat on the defensive Saturday night after Forrest Griffin won a split decision over Tito (The Huntington Beach Bad Boy) Ortiz at UFC 106 in a matchup of former light-heavyweight champions.
Gogoplatapus
11/23/09 12:50:04AM
The sport is full of questions.

I like that line. Great article. Most of these Canadian Press stories are done very well. They speak to everyone, not just the MMA fan.
vomitshovel
11/23/09 12:53:32AM
People need to wake up and realise that this is a technical sport.
The American public, mostly, is so worried about them having an entertaining fight and they see who wins and who loses VEEEEEERY differently than the TRAINED, EXPERIENCED judges.
I'm the first guy to advocate judges (Elvis Presley and Charlie Chaplin both entered impersonation competitions for themselves, and lost... that proves judges are not always right)

BUT in MMA's case and UFC in particular, These judges have watched 100x the fights that any MMA fan claims he has watched i don't care WHO you are.

All I'm saying is yes, It's ok to not agree with a decision. It's ok to believe wholeheartedly that your guy won or w/e.
But it does not constitute any change in the sport and i hope that soon people come to realise that judging CAN NOT be perfect in a sport like this and there will ALWAYS be moaning.

And my argument is fueled by the fact that i got 5-0 for UFC 106
MMAcca
11/23/09 4:52:22AM

Posted by vomitshovel

EDIT.
telnights
11/23/09 3:01:52PM

Posted by vomitshovel

People need to wake up and realise that this is a technical sport.
The American public, mostly, is so worried about them having an entertaining fight and they see who wins and who loses VEEEEEERY differently than the TRAINED, EXPERIENCED judges.
I'm the first guy to advocate judges (Elvis Presley and Charlie Chaplin both entered impersonation competitions for themselves, and lost... that proves judges are not always right)

BUT in MMA's case and UFC in particular, These judges have watched 100x the fights that any MMA fan claims he has watched i don't care WHO you are.

All I'm saying is yes, It's ok to not agree with a decision. It's ok to believe wholeheartedly that your guy won or w/e.
But it does not constitute any change in the sport and i hope that soon people come to realise that judging CAN NOT be perfect in a sport like this and there will ALWAYS be moaning.

That doesn't mean there isn't huge room for improvement. The fact that there is a huge lack of education for the MMA judges is enough alone to be very upset.

Posted by vomitshovel

There were 9 fights at UFC 106 that ended with a possible pick. Cherry picking wont earn you any props around here.
emfleek
11/23/09 3:05:45PM

Posted by telnights

There were 9 fights at UFC 106 that ended with a possible pick. Cherry picking wont earn you any props around here.

Agreed. Hell, take away my 130 career losses, and I'm 282-0 on my picks. Just call me emgracie from now on.

RyanC
11/23/09 3:29:48PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by telnights

Agreed. Hell, take away my 130 career losses, and I'm 282-0 on my picks. Just call me emgracie from now on.

Emfleek you officially have my favorite avatar on this site. That was probably my favorite moment of the entire night on Saturday, and it had nothing to do with a fight. (For the record I'm not a Koscheck hater either. I just thought Dan's reaction was perfect.)

I like Dan Hardy more and more by the day.

Sorry for going totally off topic for a second.
emfleek
11/23/09 3:37:09PM

Posted by RyanC

Emfleek you officially have my favorite avatar on this site.

Thanks. Courtesy of grappler0000!