Nate via TKO/KO 33% (19)
Nate via Sub 0% (0)
Nate via decision 21% (12)
Maia via TKO/KO 0% (0)
Maia via Sub 45% (26)
Maia via Decision 2% (1)
mkiv9secsupra
4/27/09 9:35:48PM
Looks like these two will square off for the #1 contender spot. Who does every believe will win?

I've got Marquardt via TKO in round 2. He is the most well rounded fighter at 185 today, imo. He's a great wrestler and overall grappler and he's a great striker with just as good conditioning and technique. This is a horrible matchup for Maia.
NatedawgThaM
4/27/09 9:51:21PM
I really like this fight because at least Maia will have earned a title shot with a win over an A level fights instead of just 4 or 5 C/B level guys. But I think Nate's gonna to murder him with well roundedness. I see it ending in the 2nd also after Nate gives him a beating in the 1st.
mentalcase
4/27/09 9:54:42PM
im in the Maia by sub club
Pookie
4/27/09 10:02:04PM
I think Maia would tap him out just like Almeida did, but quicker.
fizzle
4/27/09 11:34:40PM
I guess I'm one of the only ATT members who think Marquardt takes this one by being the more complete fighter. I think Nate knows more than enough to avoid any but the most opportune submissions put forth by Maia assuming Maia can even take Nate down to the mat. Nate has evolved after his loss to Anderson and I think he has come out the other side better for it. Though I do recognize that Maia has the JJ ability to pull of a dynamite sub if he gets the opportunity.
prozacnation1978
4/27/09 11:48:55PM
until it is official this fight is just a rumor
might happen who knows but it would be a great match
Amigop
4/28/09 1:41:30AM
if nate can keep it standing, he can ko maia but i have a feeling that maia will get it to the ground and get the sub on a side note this fight will show how maia will handle a solid striker, helping him prep for the silva fight
fonduktoe
4/28/09 2:04:09AM
i see nate as a middleweight version of kenny florian
yeah nate got beat by silva (sean sherk)
but he's looked incredible in all of his fights since than (big asteriks on the thales leites fight)
and i think he'll tko maia en route to being the first guy to hand silva his first ufc loss
Khaos
4/28/09 6:36:25AM
It's a hard fight for me to call, I think Nate is way more well rounded, but Maia's BJJ is second to none. I'm hoping for Nate, by UD likely, but I'm anticipating Maia by submission.
mentalcase
4/28/09 6:49:00AM
even if marquart has good TD defence all maia has to do is get a hold of him and drag him to the ground even if he end up getting mounted worst case scenario hes good enough to turn the in to half guard then guard then work for a sub from there
Vincent_Vega
4/28/09 7:33:53AM
Maia Rd2 triangle choke. (After pulling guard).
Dragoslav
4/28/09 9:45:12AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Looks like these two will square off for the #1 contender spot. Who does every believe will win?

I've got Marquardt via TKO in round 2. He is the most well rounded fighter at 185 today, imo. He's a great wrestler and overall grappler and he's a great striker with just as good conditioning and technique. This is a horrible matchup for Maia.

Most well rounded fighter at 185? Hey, maybe you've heard of this dude from Brazil who fights at 185 named Anderson Silva. I hear he's really good both standing and on the ground.

As far as Nate and Maia fighting, I think this is Nate's fight to lose. His far superior wrestling SHOULD be able to nullify takedowns which means Maia will have to pull guard to get it to the ground. Maia's not afraid to do that thoug, so we'll see. If Nate is stupid enough to play the ground game with Maia, he loses. It's that simple. Vinny Margalhaes is possibly the only fighter close to Maia's weight (yes I know they are in different weight classes) that could hang on the ground with him.
Aaronno9
4/28/09 9:51:21AM
I dont think Maia will beable to take Nate down, and on the feet I only see one winner. However, I said the same thing before the quarry fight, and we all know how that turned out. The thing with Maia is, his GnP isnt really that good, so a fighter with solid Jits like Nate can just concentrate on defending submissions without having to worry to much about getting mauled with punches and elbows. If Maia does pull off the sub, I think itll come after hes pulled guard. I just cant see him getting Marqhardt to the mat any other way.
mkiv9secsupra
4/28/09 11:41:10AM

Posted by Dragoslav

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Most well rounded fighter at 185? Hey, maybe you've heard of this dude from Brazil who fights at 185 named Anderson Silva. I hear he's really good both standing and on the ground.

Umm have you seen Anderson's wrestling? Because i havent......
Just because he has good striking and good BJJ doesnt automatically make him the most well rounded. I would even go so far as to say Franklin is more well rounded as well (but that doesnt make him the better overall fighter)
KaibaThedon
4/28/09 11:56:53AM
don't get me wrong, i think Marquardt is a super tough guy and an excellent striker but

Demian Maia takes this one with a 2nd round submission (rear naked choke)
Dragoslav
4/29/09 1:25:09PM
You know what? You're absolutely right. Nate does have way better wrestling than Silva. Silva has way better striking. Silva has better BJJ. So which one is more well-rounded again? Silva has the edge in submissions and striking while Nate has the edge in wrestling. Two out of three go to the Spider.
mkiv9secsupra
4/29/09 2:22:03PM

Posted by Dragoslav
Nate does have way better wrestling than Silva. Silva has way better striking. Silva has better BJJ. So which one is more well-rounded again?

Do you not understand the concept of well rounded? Just becuase he is great at 2 things does not automatically make him well rounded. It makes him an extremely dangerous fighter for sure but well being well rounded and being a great fighter dont always go hand in hand. Chuck Liddell has better wrestling and striking than Couture but did that make him more well rounded? not one bit.
prozacnation1978
4/29/09 11:34:33PM
pretty simple if it stays on the feet nate will either eek out a decision or ko maia

hits the ground once this fight is over baby!!!!!!!
mentalcase
4/30/09 12:19:47AM
looking at the poll this fight may be the hot bout
Franklinfan47
4/30/09 12:03:25PM
Maia has been on a roll lately, but he certainly hasnt fought anyone like Marquardt yet, which makes this fight hard to call. Nate the great has looked awesome lately as well.

I think Nate is going to dominate this fight for three rounds with his striking and GnP, get careless towards the end of the third, and get caught in a sub. Just can't pick against Maia right now the way he`s been fighting.
Dragoslav
4/30/09 12:03:46PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Dragoslav
Nate does have way better wrestling than Silva. Silva has way better striking. Silva has better BJJ. So which one is more well-rounded again?

Do you not understand the concept of well rounded? Just becuase he is great at 2 things does not automatically make him well rounded. It makes him an extremely dangerous fighter for sure but well being well rounded and being a great fighter dont always go hand in hand. Chuck Liddell has better wrestling and striking than Couture but did that make him more well rounded? not one bit.

I understand what well-rounded means. The real question here is, do you? Well-rounded means good in several areas. No glaring holes in your game. Nate is good in several areas. So is Silva. But in the three main areas of striking, grappling and submissions; Silva is better in two out of three. Silva is not as weak a wrestler as people think he is. He's not as good as Nate or Hendo, but not many are.
ufcfighter
4/30/09 7:21:30PM
I got Marquardt all the way here.He has improve a lot as a fighter and since we all beleive he won against Leites...i thought they would not give him a top top contender! His advantage on the feet is far greater than Maia's will be on the ground. Let's not forget that Nate is no scrub in the BJJ department, not to mention his wrestling will probably be superior too. All he has to do is not follow Maia to the ground if he decides to pull guard and he should win this no problem IMO
State_Champ
5/1/09 10:19:23AM
I think I'll pick Marquardt if this fight happens but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maia impresses everyone with another awesome submission.
I just think Marquardt will have a decent game plan AND the skills to back it up.

Truthfully, I would much rather see Nate win because Nate vs Anderson interests me more than Demian vs Anderson.
However, if Maia is able to submit Marquardt QUICKLY and as EASILY as usual (R1) then I would probably give him a chance against A. Silva.
RhythmAndStyle
5/1/09 11:46:26PM
way too hard to pick..as i like both Maia and Nate..ever since Nate came into the UFC..i just liked his roundness in his game..great strikin,great bjj..and Maia i started to like him more after i seen some of his bjj skill..very slick..but in all honest..i think Nate should take this one..i think Nate should be able to defend Maia submission attemps..and we all know most bjj fighters have weak chins..and i dont think Maia has a chin like Leites..Nate probably will tko Maia in the second round..and continue to work his way up to another title shot...
BEATDOWNS
5/2/09 9:47:28PM
I think marquardt will be too much for Maia on the feet, and it will be hard for maia to take him down. Maia's only chance is on the ground, but it won't be so easy to get it there this time.